Concealed cistern access

I have a back to wall bog fed from a concealed cistern in a vanity unit. The lid of the vanity unit is going to end up under a worktop and i'm struggling to think of a way to neatly allow access to the cistern from above.

My plan was to cut a square of worktop out and attach some external angle to it so it could be dropped back in. But there would be a visible flange and the missus wants something less visible.

Any suggestions welcomed.

Reply to
R D S

Does it *need* full access from above? Mine only has enough room above it to get my hand in for very minor tweaks; other than that I'd need to demount the cistern and remove it for access - not a huge undertaking; and I haven't actually ever needed to do it in the 10 years since I installed it; so am happy enough with the original installation decision.

David

Reply to
Lobster

I wondered about this, I can get very limited access from a panel on the front that pulls off.

I'm a bit of a pessimist and can't entertain the notion that I could box it in and expect it to be trouble free for years.

Reply to
R D S

Can you arrange it so the whole length of worktop can be removed in one piece?

Owain

Reply to
Owain

I'm worktopping an L shape and was hoping to do a really good job of the join!

I did entertain copping out and getting a connecting strip which would enable what you suggest but again, 'er indoors is pulling her mush.

This is why I never bother starting a job. Living in squalor is so much easier.

Reply to
R D S

If the L isn't constrained by walls at the end, might it at least slide out a couple of ft to enable access to the cistern?

Or could you mount the cistern on drawer slides with flexi pipes?

It's certainly remarkable how much time and brain-power the ladies expend on colour-coordinating vases of twigs.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

It will be trapped in by a chimney breast.

An interesting idea, though i've had enough trouble getting the pipe from the cistern to the pan to connect tightly.

Isn't it? You succumb to starting a job you couldn't be arsed doing and they come up with all sorts of ideas to make it more difficult.

Reply to
R D S

Neat lid, rare earth magnets. Lift it off with a suction cup

Reply to
Andy Dingley

R D S wrote in news:wf6dnR3PB9k85N snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

There are cisterns that have good access from the front.

Check out the BES website.

Heliotrope Smith

As the cistern top will be hidden, do you actually need to fit it? If not you could use something like the device for routing access hatches in flooring.

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Yep, I made a removable for the front...

You and me both!

David

Reply to
Lobster

We have a slightly oddly placed soapdish set into the top of ours.

Right on top of the valve!

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ