toilet flush problem

Hi

I have just fitted a new siphon. The problem now is that the toilet won't flush properly - a single handle press gives a little water. The only way to get a full flush is to first do a little flush and then immediately another big flush. The cistern fits directly onto the pan - ie there is no downpipe carrying the water from the siphon to the pan. The siphon is clamped to the cistern tight.

Please help! I have been stuck at this stage for ages.

Mike

Reply to
Mike

Some cisterns give you the option of either a part flush or a full flush but if that isn't the case, and a single press is meant to give a full flush first time, there might not be quite enough water in the cistern to start the siphon process at the first attempt. To confirm that, pour an extra a litre or two of water in then try flushing. If it works with the extra water then that's the problem.

Reply to
Phil Anthropist

Hi Phil

No this is a one flush option. The cistern has a good amount of water in, and fills to a W.L. line - which I presume is "Water Level". As per your suggestion I pressed the float down to fill it an inch beyond WL (but I can't do it any further because the overflow pipe won't allow it), but there wasn't any change - I still need to do an mini flush and a full hard flush one after the other, as if the first handle press is priming the siphon or something.

Mike

Reply to
Mike

Sounds like the plastic diaphram in the bottom of the syphon is torn or creased and not doing its job properly.

Alternatively, the handle linkage is not properly adjusted and a full press of the handle is not lifting the diaphram far enough.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

When the diaphragm on my siphon loo flush went some months ago, I replaced it completely with a 'flapper' type flushing mechanism. It's a real improvement - the 'flush' is much improved and there is no thin plastic diaphragm to replace again. It's so simple - bit like a hinged plug. When you press the button the 'flapper' hinges up and an air bubble in it keeps it open until the cistern has emptied. The flapper than drops shut and stays shut while the cistern refills.

I recommend the improvement!

Kev

Reply to
Uno-Hoo!