Toilet Flush Question

When I flush the toilet, is the tank supposed to empty? Normally when I flush, all I get is a slight bit of water down the pipe before the stopper falls shut and stops the flow. Its enough to get the vortex/siphon going and the toilet does flush. But I am wondering if I am not cleaning the toilet sufficiently, or if this is a weaker flush that may contribute to the toilet stopping up a lot?

Thanks for your help!

dnoyeB

Reply to
dnoyeB

If this has been effectively removing waste without causing any stoppages why mess with success. Afterall, you are saving water and sewage fees.

Reply to
C & E

different flappers have different characteristics; some empty more than others.

when mine isn't flushing adequately, I can often get it to do better by changing the attachment point or length of the chain; you just have to play around with it. when it is adequate, I leave it alone

Reply to
Toller

Andy writes:

With my toilet, a quick press and release of the handle puts a smaller

amount of water in the bowl for the flush. If I want a bigger flush, I hold the handle DOWN for about 5 seconds to let the entire tank empty into the bowl.

I assume it is a water saving feature, since it takes less water to flush pee than to flush poop. I make the "pee or poop" decision and save a couple gallons of water many times a day...

...... my little bit for the environment.... :>)))

Andy

Reply to
Andy

I agree with everyones statements. That is what I thought and how I use the toilet. Though, they have all backed up from time to time. So I thought maybe a bigger flush would help reduce the frequency of backups.

The rest of the toilet guts have gone bad in all 3 of my toilets and my house is only 3 years old. So I figured if that was bad I would do that at the same time. But I guess not...

Thanks!

Reply to
dnoyeB

Most modern toilets have two flush levels. The standard and the super. To get the super, just hold the handle down until it runs out of water or gets close to overflowing. By design the tanks don't completely empty. By holding the handle down you can empty the tank.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Interesting that you have mentioned several things. Your toilet doesn't flush very well. And has stopped up a few times. And the guts of all the toilets have failed in the three years you've had the house.

So...the questi> >

Reply to
Michael B