Cutting a Doorway....2Q's...mess and planning regs

Firstly, the situation. After extending the house last year the kitchen has now moved to the extended part, and I am having the old kitchen as a workshop. Now this room also joins the integral garage, and I intend to install a door between the two in the single skin concrete block wall.

I have already acquired a second hand fire door which I will use, but am now trying to work out the best plan of action with minimal mess. After securing the work area with acro's and strongboys I want to remove the block work with a minimum of mess, this rules out a disc cutter. Is chain drilling the next best option then bolstering? Or is there another way.

Also, do I need planning permission. I thought I would ask here first rather than ask my local planning office, as I don't want to raise awareness unnecessarily. I'm a competent DIYer, probably more conscientious than many builders, and if the job was done to a professional standard would anyone be the wiser even if I needed, but didn't seek planning approval?

Just trying to keep the cost down and keep it simple.

Your thoughts anyone....?

I don't know about planning permission, but I do know about mess. You're going to make lots, get used to the idea. If you try not to make a mess IME you make twice as much or make the job twice as long. If I read your post correctly you now have a workshop which used to be the kitchen and you're knocking through to the garage, so the workshop has a door to the new kitchen or to other parts of the house you don't want to get messy, yes?

What I would do is clear the space around the doorway-to-be, move everything you can't take out of the workshop into a pile and cover with dust sheets, then when you're all ready to knock through, you go into the workshop with a large plastic sheet and all the tools you're going to need to knock through. Close the door and secure the plastic sheet over the doorway and seal edges as best you can. Open windows if poss to let the dust out. Knock the hole through to the garage, now you can do all the work you want and have access to the house by going out through the garage door, leaving the plastic sheet up until the job is finished and the sweeping/hoovering is done.

When all is sorted you can take down the sheet and you won't get killed by the Mrs.

Steve

Reply to
shazzbat

Hello all, I'm new to this forum and have a couple of questions for you experts out ther= e.

Firstly, the situation. After extending the house last year the kitchen has now move= d to the extended part, and I am having the old kitchen as a workshop. Now this room also= joins the integral garage, and I intend to install a door between the two in the single= skin concrete block wall.

I have already acquired a second hand fire door which I will use, but am now trying to wo= rk out the best plan of action with minimal mess. After securing the work area with acr= o's and strongboys I want to remove the block work with a minimum of mess, this rules ou= t a disc cutter. Is chain drilling the next best option then bolstering? Or is there an= other way.

Also, do I need planning permission. I thought I would ask here first rather than ask m= y local planning office, as I don't want to raise awareness unnecessarily. I'm a comp= etent DIYer, probably more conscientious than many builders, and if the job was done= to a professional standard would anyone be the wiser even if I needed, but didn=E2=80= =99t seek planning approval?

Just trying to keep the cost down and keep it simple.

Your thoughts anyone....?

Reply to
Neil C

And wear a good-quality face mask...

Reply to
Martin

You need building control permission from the council. If you don't it may be a small problem when you come to sell, if you have extended it then I guess this isnt iminent. One thing they will want is a step down to the garage floor or a ' piece' accross the bottom, like a big thresher. I don't know the size off-hand.

Your local hire centre can supply a dust extraction unit. Might keep the Mrs off your back ;-)

hth Steve

Reply to
stevej

jeez, this took some finding google n'all check p68

stevej