Building regs re doorway and stairs

Regards building regulations...

If I have a flight of stairs in my house going up a wall (butted against and parallel with the wall), can I have a doorway in that wall, at the top of the stairs such that the door frame almost touches the edge of the top stair, i.e, the very edge of the landing floor. Hope my drawing is readable:

____ | | door | ____| |_ |_ |_

Reply to
Ally

Yes the door opens into the room.

Ally

Reply to
Ally

I *think* it would be OK providing the door opens into the room, which I assume it does... but NB, I'm no expert!

Have you read the official Approved Document on the subject?, at

or

Lobster

On Tue, 24 Aug 2004 16:47:36 GMT, a particular chimpanzee named snipped-for-privacy@nospamxyz.com (Ally) randomly hit the keyboard and produced:

Yes, provided that the door doesn't open across the landing.

Reply to
Hugo Nebula

Have you got that the wrong way round? Surely if the door is right at the top of the stairs, it is better to open onto the landing rather than onto the stairs? Or is this a means of escape, doors opening in the direction of the escape route thing?

Reply to
John Armstrong

On Sat, 28 Aug 2004 17:45:19 +0100, a particular chimpanzee named John Armstrong randomly hit the keyboard and produced:

I mean open inwards, into the room not outwards across the landing or the stairs. If the room was in a commercial premises and contained more than 60 people, then it would have to open in the direction of escape and would therefore have to be recessed to avoid opening across the landing or the stairs; otherwise it can open inwards.

Reply to
Hugo Nebula

Just realised I was misreading the original question. I thought the OP was planning on putting a door across the top of the stairs, right next to and parallel to the top nosing. With that misunderstanding I thought you were suggesting this was Ok as long as the door opened in the face of people coming up the stairs. Didn't think that sounded right :-)

Reply to
John Armstrong