Best Rated threads in Building Constructionshow all threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Best wood floors in dry climate?
I live in Colorado, and a few years ago had a bamboo floor installed in my kitchen and living room, and have been very disappointed. Despite the whole-house humidifier attached to the forced air...
20
20

Plumbing rough-in before roofer?
My plumber wants to do his rough in before the shingles go on I guess so he can get his vent stacks done without any interference. Is this the typical sequence? I'd really rather get some roofing on...
20
20

Using 2" schedule 40 pipe as support for basketball backboard and hoop
I wish to put up a basketball hoop, using 2" schedule 40 pipe. Is this pipe sufficient from a strength perspective. I would cement it 4' below ground.
1
1

Sheet rock mud on hardboard
I have a room done in 4 X 8 sheets of hardboard, 1/4" thick, from Home Depot. The "rough" side is the room side. The "rough" side has a grain on it about like screen wire. The "slick" side is shiny....
7
7

finishing concrete sidewalk curbs
I noticed that the forms on concrete curbs are pulled off fairly quickly. How do they finish these? Are they rubbed or brushed with a concrete slurry to get the bug holes out etc? Also, how soon after...
15
15

Concrete slab for parking a car
Re-doing the driveway for my Mitsubishi Shogun (weighs about 1.5 tons) I was planning to lay 8" concrete slab over compacted soil with wire mesh located about 2" from the top. Someone now says I need...
48
48

Cement Pad Thickness for Water Tanks?
I'm installing two water tanks. One is an 8' Diameter 2500 Gallon tank and the other is a 12' Diameter 5000 Gallon tank. I'd like to set them both on a cement pad Maybe 2' wider then the tank itself....
27
27

On?off switch for water heater
I would like to install an on/off switch for my electric water heater at the cottage instead of using the breaker to turn it off or on, is there any reason I should not do this? What type of switch...
15
15

Toilet Trapway size ?
I have a kohler toilet and I often have to plunge it, at least once a week. It seems to plug easily without any abnormal use. I am looking at getting a new toilet and notice that trapway sizes are...
7
7

How to trim widows with arch (semi-circle) top?
We have one window in the center of our second story that is different than all the rest, and I cannot figure out how we should trim it. (We're using vinyl siding.) Here's a link to our front...
164
164

well water pressure loss over distance
Can anyone tell me of a simple way to determine pressure loss over distance in Gallons-per Minute of well water? Example: Assuming I have 10 GPM at the well head, if I run a 2" ID water line 100',...
18
18

Spliced Ridge Beam
I have a need for a 2x8x27' ridge beam on a garage gable roof. I want to do it by splicing two 2x8x14's together. I've seen a few sagging splices over the years and I really want to do it right. What...
16
16

What is the best way to replace bad window flashing but keep the window ?
The house was built in 1965 and some of the windows are original wood but most of them are newer vinyl replacements which I'm guessing are about 10 years old. As of late in learning about home...
9
9

Sistering floor joists
some time ago i inquired about fastening some steel plate to the sides of some 100+ year old, full dimension, rough cut oak floor joists to stiffen them up. I've decided to sister them with like sized...
10
10

Building "pressurized" walls
I want to build an L-shaped wall in our home to create another small bedroom for a few years (until I ship the kids off to college) then tear it down later. I've seen several sites online that...
6
6

How many TapCons to use ?
When securing a basement wall to the floor/slab, how many TapCons should be used ? If you build the wall in 8' sections and use a two Tapcons at either end, is this enough ? Thanks
11
11

Painting exterior stucco spray or roll?
I have a single story ranch style home that was built in the mid 1950's. The exterior is stucco and I am getting proposals on getting it painted. One of the beter painters in the area tells me that he...
36
36

Paint - ?enamel over latex?
Hi, all, Is it bad to paint over gloss latex paint with enamel? THe latex gloss used on teh trim and doors in the house doesn't resist staining or stand up to cleaning as much as I'd like, but I'm...
18
18

Shed construction- stud lengths & sheeting, oh my!
I enlarged the drawing and see you are right. From an engineering point of view, the edge nailing is what is critical anyway, so perhaps that is why they don't deal with field nailing in their guide....
40
40

Carpet pucker
I have almost 10 year old cut pile carpeting. It was the builder's standard offering, but I upgraded to the top end padding because between higher grade carpet and higher grade padding, they said that...
2
2