Best Rated threads in Building Constructionshow all threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Beam size
I would like to open up a basement by removing a 2x6 stud wall and replace it with a wood laminated beam ( 2x10's or 12's) where can I get some info on the proper size and min opening between...
20
20

Resend:Project Quality Plan (PQP) / Quality Assurance Plan (QAP)
Hi again, Project Quality Plan (PQP) or Quality Assurance Plan (QAP) format complete with technical contents ready for your Client submission. PQP or QAP shall be established during the early...
2
2

Second Furnace in Attic?
THis is an interrsting idea. Leave the registers i nteh ceiling, but put the returns down low using this method. At least this way you might get soem circualtion of air, and the heated air might...
18
18

GFI Power Strips ?
Thanks for all replies, and the citation from RBM !! James
32
32

Water Trailers/Water Hauler/Water Buffalo by Northland Products
Water Trailers/Water Hauler/Water Buffalo by Northland Products, Inc. Waterboy Transporter ? Water Hauling Trailer The Industries First Fully Baffled Water Trailer/Water Transporters designed for...
4
4

Is this type of fan appropriate under roof vents in ceiling?
> http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=1005 http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?id=100018252
24
24

vapor barrier for three season porch
As this is an unheated porch, I would not install a vapor retarder. Condensation isn't much of a problem in a cold climate if the room is unheated.
6
6

Did I Get Screwed By an Incompetent Roofer? Need Advice
I just had my house reroofed yesterday. It already had two layers of shingles on it. So, it was necessary to remove all of the old asphalt shingles before putting the new ones on. I have given the...
110
110

help! backhoe stuck like noah's arc!
Problem: I have a 1988 Cat 426 4x4 backhoe (extendahoe) which happens to be on the top of a mountain (well, largeish hill) because part of my road has collapsed. It is beyond the scope of anything...
10
10

shared plumbing trench
I have a detached garage that serves as my woodworking shop. My latest project involves installing thermal solar collectors on the shop roof and piping the hot water back to the house provide heat for...
10
10

REPOINTING USING LIME TO REPLACE PORTLAND MORTAR
I already read that it is a poor idea to repairt and repoint brick work originally built using lime mortar by using portland cement mortar, but my question and train of thought relates as to weither...
6
6

Should she pay drywall contractor?
My poor mother just had a nightmarish experience. For her new house construction, her drywall contractor botched the job. My questions are: What are the possible remedies for the drywall? Should she...
6
6

Floor Decking Question
Preface: my wife and I are first time owner-builders early in the education/planning phase. I've been looking heavily into panelized homes. I was looking on the website of one supplier in our area,...
6
6

underground service entrance question
I have a property with 2 buildings, and I want to eventually eliminate some old overhead service drops that pass the rear building to the front one. There is a meter on the rear building where I can...
8
8

Hot water tank return
I heard that you can install a line from the tank where the drain spigot is. That you remove the spigot, and run a line to the farthest hot water riser. It is supposed to allow the hot water to...
16
16

Alternative flooring ideas
Hello, I want to make my own 'wood' flooring. I have several options that I am considering. None involve using solid wood, all involve taking sheet plywood and cutting it up to make an end product...
16
16

IPEX
Hello, I am having a house built and opted for IPEX plumbing. Any advice? I am also using a tankless, propane fired, water heater, if that makes any difference. (Perhaps it's too late for most advice...
2
2

installing slider window directly on concrete opening
I am enlarging my basement window by cutting a larger openning on the concrete foundation (not too large to make it unsafe structurally). My question is: is it necessary to install a wood frame using...

roof thrust problem
I am building a 20 foot wide barn with a gambrel roof. The trusses are specially engineered so that no chords are needed (almost like a scissor truss). This allows me to use the top of the barn as a...
18
18

Perc testing?
I did the preliminary perc test on my property in TN. Then the soil scientist came out and confirmed the result and wrote a report the I have to take to the local DEQ office and pay money to get a...
24
24