Best Rated threads in Building Constructionshow all threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

How DoYou Build CoalBin
Hello, In my basement: How do you construct a coal bin for about 3 tons of coal? Would 5'x10' and 4' high be largre enough? How would you construct the "door/trap" from where i would be...
6
6

Evaluating bids for concrete driveway
Have obtained 2 bids for an approx 3400 sq ft driveway Both bids specify 4" of 4000# concrete, finished and sealed, with sawed control joints. One bid specifies 6x6 6 ga. wire reinforcement, the other...
24
24

No House Wrap?
Hi, I've read a few threads in this group about house wrap. In particular, someone named "betty" wrote about her house not being wrapped nor the windows flashed. My wife & I just contracted to...
51
51

Wasps a problem for anyone?
Hi, We are just finishing the inside of our home and I see wasps flying into the peak of our home between the brick and the facia. The wasp nest is not visible from the outside. The attic is blown...
42
42

Deck design: attaching beams to existing posts
I have an existing third floor deck (10'x40'). It is supported by a 6"x12" beam resting on 18' tall 8"x8" posts. My question: I want to install a second floor deck, underneath the existing...
12
12

Floor Joist Beam Spans
I plan to build a small garage, 20 feet by 30 feet. I want to be able to span the 20 foot width, so that I don't have to use interior posts. At first, I was doubtful this could be done, and I have...
120
120

Smoke alarm goes off when it's cold (?)
I had the fire chief in my town tell me it's because the room is warm and above the smoke detector is cold. My detectors are hard wired to the ceiling. He told me to unscrew them and let them hang...
5
5

Load bearing wall?
Hello, I read the previous posts on this subject so I'll try and be precise as possible. I have a room above a garage that I want to install double french doors. The opening at the moment is 32"...
3
3

Does anyone make 2 x 8 I-Joists?
I want to build a "Room in a room" for my home theater, but the Ceiling spans call for 2 x 8's at a minimum. I am hoping that someone makes a 2x8 I-joist as they will be MUCH lighter and easier to...
6
6

Bowed Engineered Wood Flooring
I purchased 700 sq. ft. of Mohawk 3" Hamilton Oak engineered wood flooring about three years ago and it has been stored in the original boxes inside my climate-controlled house since then. I am just...
14
14

splicing in a mudsill
I have to replace a rotten mudsill at the front of my house. I have read that timber frame sills have to be spliced in with a half lap joint. This makes sense for a timber frame sill, but do you need...
18
18

does the irc require pressure treated bottom plates on a slab on grade house?
does anyone know if the irc requires treated bottom plates on partition walls on a slab on grade house? is it acceptable to use white wood with a capillary break such as tarpaper on the bottom?
48
48

Software for plot site for building permit
Is there any free software for drawing a plot site for a building permit?
20
20

What is Non-porous Masonry?
What, if any masonry products are considered non-porous? I assume CMU is *not* non-porous. Thanks in advance for sharing your knowledge.
8
8

Trouble with Sheetrock over Homasote
Hi. I decided to try to soundproof a common wall between me and my tenant. I ripped down the old sheetrock and got rid of the fiberglass insulation. I replaced it with SAFB and put up Homasote. I then...
5
5

painting rates
Are there standard per square foot rates for interior painting? I'm looking at a couple heavily textured ceilings as well as some regular drywall walls. thanks
10
10

Knee Wall bottom plate question
Hello all, I am finshing off the upper story of my 1 1/2 story Cape Cod, using the usual knee walls. I am building them with a 2x4 bottom plate, 2x4 studs, and a 2x6 top plate bevel-ripped to the roof...
2
2

(Q:) Switched light on load side of GFCI outlet
(Q:) Switched light on load side of GFCI outlet I've wired quite a few GFCI outlet but always as a string of outlets. We recently put in a bathroom, and I ran a new 20 amp grounded circuit....
2
2

Framing Roof Joists for Addition when top Plate is not Level
I am involved in a project where I am adding an additon to a ranch house. House is about 25 feet wide about about 40 deep. Most of the projects I work on are total gut jobs so I dont worry about...
6
6

Missing Septic Tank Cover
I just had my Septic tank pumped out. And discovered that the prior owner of the house had lost or broken the inspection hole cover. This is not the primary opening, just one over the outflow pipe to...
8
8