Best Rated threads in Building Constructionshow all threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

gable end headers
I am a builder in RI. We always put headers in gable walls it eliminates call backs for those pesky stress cracks that ALWAYS SHOW UP. Your first instinct was correct. Ask your building inspector if...
4
4

3/4 solid hardwood over gyp-crete?
do i need to screw down 5/8 or 3/4 ply over the gyp-crete? The gyp-crete is about 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick. The gyp-crete is laid over a 3/4 inch OSB sub floor. thanks for any help.

Code Question: Gas Water Heater
I plan to install a 30 gallon gas water heater in an upstairs bathroom. This is new construction out in the country with propane. I know gas water heaters in garages have to be on a platform 18 or 24...
8
8

drainage question
some books I have read say slope the drain toward daylight. what is the purpose of 'toward daylight' ? Thanks, Paul
18
18

New slab up against wood of old house a problem?
I am adding a new laundry room to the back of my house. The contractor had a footer poured and block installed around the new room. Then the area was filled with gravel. The current house has a crawl...
6
6

electrical service/main feed
I recently purchased 20 acres and an old farm house. The property is approx. 1000 ft. deep and I wish to put a modular home 600 ft. back from the road. I also wish to put up a garage where I will be...
12
12

drywall cutter
I am putting up 5/8 firecode sheet rock alone on a garage ceiling... (stop snickering). I am cutting the sheet rock into 6 foot lengths for easier handling. I have a home made jack that I made out of...
28
28

Porch railing height revisited
I found this image of a porch very similar to our new construction with a railing that looks to be 24" high or 30" high at the most (not 36"). Look's nice to me! Looks nice and old fashioned. Is...
42
42

questions to ask about pool replaster
I am currently in the process of having a deck built, and feeling screwed by the contractor adding all kinds of expenses for "unanticipated" problems (He charged me extra for flashing which everyone I...
4
4

Update from Oct 1st - Flashing - I believe my carpenter made a huge mistake
Carpenter has acknowledged that flashing should have gone under the vinyl siding and will rectify the problem by re-doing it properly. Thanks to all. Alan Sheppard

Is my contractor incompetent?
First let me say that I live in Corpus Christi, Texas. Over the past 7 years I probably have obtained 20-30 proposals for various construction, pool, remodelling, landscaping, electrical work in my...
26
26

Maintenance free siding
Well, I thought I had found my dream material in Hardie board but I guess not. Their web page says it must be painted. I thought since it was a concrete based product that you could put it up and...
20
20

Multiple holes in load bearing studs
I want to know the code for boring holes in 2x4 studs in a load bearing wall. I have found the reference that says holes can be up to 40% of a the stud's depth in a load bearing wall, 60% in a...
8
8

Flat roof insulation question
I'm thinking about putting isocyanurate board insulation on top of a flat (low pitch) roof that slopes to a gutter . The old roofing would need to be stripped. To get R20, the board would need to...
4
4

Insulation installed upside down
hi, I am buying a home (raised ranch) , and te insulation under the family room on the main floor (hardwood floor) is installed with the foil facing downwards (i.e, upside down).Is this a major...
6
6

Drainage question
I see in many cases it's recommended to put in gravel for drainage. For one example, you are installing a retaining wall. It's usually recommended to put in some gravel behind the wall for...
10
10

stucco before roofing?
Hello, I have contracted an addition to my home and the general just gave me his proposed punch list. He has the installation of lath/stucco prior to installing roof tiles. From what I have seen...
2
2

Installing a cultured stone wall behind wood stove question
I am going to install a owen corning cultured stone wall behind our woodstove. I was wondering what should I put behind the metal lathe to protect the old gypsum wall. I seen some 60 minute paper in...
2
2

Foundation question for a modular home
Hi everyone, I apologize if this is the wrong place but I have a question I really need help with. Back in March we had a fire that destroyed our home and ever since then we've been waiting to...
26
26

Pre-painted Hardiplank Siding
Has anyone seen any long term results from factory finished Hardipalnk siding? It looks great on the samples and James Hardy people say that it is a baked on paint that has a pro-rated 15 year...
4
4