Code Question: Gas Water Heater

I plan to install a 30 gallon gas water heater in an upstairs bathroom. This is new construction out in the country with propane.

I know gas water heaters in garages have to be on a platform 18 or 24 inches off the floor to avoid potential ignition problems.

What does the code say/ What is the safe practice for my situation?

Thanks in advance.

rfa texas

Reply to
R Alexander

Keep in mind that the 'cookie' sheet that most install under the water heater(s) won't even come close to holding 30-40-50 gallons if/when that water heater fails. I was in a 2-story home the other day and, as typical, saw the water heater in the upstairs attic.

Reply to
cain.alan

From the 2000 IRC. (the version my municipality uses)

M2005.1 General. Water heaters shall be installed in accordance

with the manufacturer's installation instructions and the

requirements of this code. Water heaters installed in an attic

shall conform to the requirements of Section M1305.1.3. Gasfired

water heaters shall conform to the requirements in Chapter

  1. Domestic electricwater heaters shall conform toUL174

or UL 1453. Commercial electric water heaters shall conform

toUL1453. Oiled-firedwater heaters shall conform toUL732.

M2005.2 Prohibited locations. Fuel-fired water heaters shall

not be installed in a room used as a storage closet.Water heaters

located in a bedroom or bathroom shall be installed in a sealed

enclosure so that combustion air will not be taken from the living

space. Direct-vent water heaters are not required to be installed

within an enclosure.

Reply to
Steve Barker LT

The only thing that falls into code is the septic system as provided by the local county. All else is not subject to IRC if the local municipality is less than 5000 population per code in state of Texas. The local municipality is the inspecting entity, and may create code exceeding IRC, but not less than its restrictions.

Long term failures and their results fall on the homeowner. Think before you build. IRC is a good sounding board. Ultimately, you will pay for any long term oversights.

Reply to
Jonny

There are allot of considerations. Mainly safety! that said, you need to have proper air supply vents. (Min of 2). (Your tank documentation should have all the minimum info you need. But I would go beyond the minimum's if it were on the second floor.

Something to think about is when the tank breaks. Not saying it will, but if it does, where will the water go? (Take an old trash can, and fill it with water. Now poke a big hole in it with an ax or something to give you an idea of water. Also, the water supply will still be on too).

Not really a DIY'r job. Be careful. my2cents.

Reply to
Bill