electrical service/main feed

I recently purchased 20 acres and an old farm house. The property is approx. 1000 ft. deep and I wish to put a modular home 600 ft. back from the road. I also wish to put up a garage where I will be doing some welding,etc. What size wire will I need to bury from the road to the house for a 200 amp. service? Also what is the best way to provide adequate power for the garage? Would a sub-panel run from the house service be sufficient for an additional 200 amps in the garage? Please let me know where I can get these questions answered.

Reply to
bodega

Call the power company and see if they won't bring the high voltage back and then set a ground (or pole mounted) transformer. You really don't want to bring 240 that far. You'd need at least a 4/0 times 3 to do that. It'll cost you about $5 a foot right now.

Reply to
Steve Barker LT

Reply to
Raider Bill

Reply to
bodega

Reply to
bodega

You don't want to run 240V for 600 feet! Have the power company run high voltage to near your house and step it down there with a transformer.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

You don't run power directly from the street in rural areas, you need a interim meter. That usually means a pole closer to the residence. The meter is usually mounted there, or on the house if you run that as source for all including a standalone garage. I'd go with the pole with the meter mounted there. Route power to the new home. The garage is something else due to its power requirements. If its an adequate distance from the house, run another pole and meter. Otherwise, one pole with a meter requires a primary panel to feed both the house and the garage. 440 VAC type may be the ticket. Split it and run 220 to house, and 220 to the garage.

Don't drop the ground from the primary panel to the separate garage. Do use an independent grounding wire at the garage to its subpanel.

Reply to
Jonny