Best Rated threads in Building Constructionshow all threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

finishing an attached garage
I am finishing an attached two-car garage that houses the house electrical panel. All the circuits from the house run into the attic of the garage and then down the wall cavity to the breaker,...
1
1

A couple of baseboard questions
I'll just jump right into it. First, I'm looking for advice on how to transition between different types of baseboards. I need to go from a quarter round to a 2 3/8" standard baseboard. It's also...
4
4

drywall installation
I've got a concrete block house in FL. I've stripped the drywall off the interior walls, 3/4" furring strips remain. I would like to insulate the walls. What's the best way to do this? I was wondering...
10
10

New Baluster Spacing Calculator For iPhone
There is a neat app for the iPhone called BalusterPro that makes calculating baluster spacing a breeze. You just enter your distance between newel posts and the width of one baluster. Then you drag a...

Adding bacteria to the septic tank
How does one know if its suitable and appropriate to use additive type bacteria to the septic tank via the drain system from the house? I "started" the septic bacteria with 2 large cans of yeast per...
5
5

Nail down hardwood florring parallel to floor joists
P.Ostal ------------------------------------- Hi all I have open-web engineered floor joists at 19.2" centre, and they run along the longer length of the living/dining room. I have 3/4" particle board...
3
3

Heater in Bathroom Panasonic Whisper Warm ?
Hello I am about to have my bathroom remolded. My wife would like to add a heater to the bathroom. The home has a forced air gas furnace and the batroom has a vent in it. We rarely turn the house...
6
6

Does an attic fan need an override switch for a smoke alarm?
I wanted to install an vent fan to cool down the attic. This is 100% attic air. No air sucked in from the living space. The house is in Massachussetts. Contractor says this fan needs an automatic...
3
3

New house Louisana Pacific I beams too far apart
This house is about 2 years old now. Two story house on a unfinished basement. There is a lot of noise from the walls and subfloor (creaks and pops) when walking on it. I carefully screwed down the...
8
8

Orangeburg pipe?
I have made an offer on a home and had inspections. It passes reasonably on everything and I want the home. However, although the septic inspector passed the system, my understanding is that it would...
10
10

Septic Tank Riser
My tank is a couple feet below grade and many decades old but still in excellent shape. I added a brush strainer and a drop T replacing the outlet baffle as the baffle had started to warp and I wanted...

Removing a 9' load bearing wall
I'd like to remove a load bearing internal wall by putting a beam in the attic and attaching it to the ceiling joists from above. I know this was general topic was discussed in April of 2008. "Dave in...
6
6

Avoiding "Gap" Between 2 Windows
Converting garage into family room. I want to have a set of double windows installed. I thought I could go out and buy two regular windows and have them installed side-by-side. Now I am worried. I...
8
8

Cost of metal roofing
Would like to hear more about the long-term life of stone coated steel roof, and application costs. I am familiar with the life of a common steel roof.
8
8

400A resedential service
I upgraded my house from 100A to 200A 5 years ago. I buried 3" conduit from the pole to the house. I was told the 3" would support 400A. At the time I did not have the money to install 400A, so I just...
49
49

Installing shower wand on fiberglass surround
We recently moved into our new house and I need to install a wand-type shower in one bathroom. The bathroom has a typical fiberglass tub with fiberglass surround. The shower arm for the fixed-head...

Shed on a slope
I'm looking at putting a shed in my garden - it would be located on an existing concrete hardstanding area which slopes approx 1 in 10. The shed will probably be about 6' x 4'. What's the best support...
3
3

Building a small shed
I'm putting together my gameplan for building (actually rebuilding) a small shed for the yard. It's going to be a 10' x 16' saltbox. I have a couple of questions I was hoping someone could help me...
17
17

Road base for brick and sand walkway?
I'm laying a brick path more or less per the instructions here: instructions call for "engineered road base" to be put under the sand. I went to a big masonry supply store today and bought six sacks...
11
11

finishing basement floor question
poured concrete basement (walls & floor). saw other thread here w/gentleman asking questions about subfloors. out of courtesy, did not want to "hijack" the thread. question, instead of laying down a...
7
7