Best Rated threads in Building Constructionshow all threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

stucco/wire lath question
I forgot to schedule for wire lath inspection and I went ahead and applied the stucco coats. During the final inspection, the inspection caught it and asked that I expose a couple of spots to check...
3
3

Wood-I or Open Truss Joists?
about to order the floor joist system for my house, and have been hearing different things about open-truss-systems: they sound like having a drum under/over you, or: they will make your...
14
14

What do you call the spring loaded L-shaped pin that holds the ramp/door
thingamidgig. aka "wtf do I have a utility trailer for".
90
90

Rafter ties (metal straps)
Here is a question I get asked alot, and I am not sure of the answer. We build houses in High Wind Zones often, largely on the Jersey shore. We frequently need to strap the peaks and the rafters to...
26
26

Rewiring a Hardwired Smoke Detector WITH THE POWER ON
I have a hardwired smoke detector that is old and outdated, that I'd like to switch with a new unit. The only problem is that I can't shut off the power to the alarm before I disconnect it and...
8
8

Toilet on a slab grade
I'm putting in an extension with a floating concrete slab and am wondering about plumbing a toilet and wondering about setting it right on the slab. The line will run out to a septic system and...
6
6

Rotate electrical panel?
Hello, I'm remodelling the kitchen in my condo and would like to rotate the electrical panel (currently in the kitchen) so that access to the panel is from the other side of the wall. The panel...
10
10

Dishwasher for old shallow kitchen counter?
Good evening. I want to put a dishwasher in my 1930 kitchen. Unfortunately, the old counters are quite shallow. The distance from the wall surface to the cabinet face is 21.5". I could probably get...
6
6

cutting hole for steel chimney
I need to cut a 12" diameter hole through floor for steel chimney. Chase is only 13" wide so not enough room to complete hole with jigsaw or sawzall. Hoping someone can offer solution. Thanks in...
4
4

Remove ceiling/joists in room to have cathedral ceilings ?
(Sorry for the crosspost, I didn't know this group existed.) I have a room that was added on to the back of my house. It's about 18 x 28 (feet) - a big whopping room. The outside of the room...
8
8

Roof cement to adhere shingles?
I am making a rabbit hutch for a friend and to avoid nails through the plywood roof, I was thinking of using roofing cement to adhere the 3 tab shingles to the wood instead of nails. Will the roofing...
24
24

How to tarnish a shinny tin building
Having just added on to a galvanized metal building, the new metal is a real contrast to the existing structure. Anyone know of an environmentally safe wash, that can be used to age the new galvanized...
20
20

joist crack repair question
hoping someone can answer this. i have a few 2x10 joists that have horizontal cracks. each joist has only one crack. they all appear to originate from where the nails went in to secure the joist to...
6
6

split ac unit install question
not sure if this is the right forum. i'm planning on installing a "split" air conditioning and heating unit in my attached 2 car garage (presently insulated but unconditioned/unheated). the side...
6
6

Two Garage Doors Into One?
Looked at a for sale home that has been on the market for a long while. After gaining access I can see why. One reason is the two separate garage doors in the attached double garage. The steps inside...
16
16

Range Hood Vent & Dryer Vent
Hello, At what point, in new construction, would it be best to put in the Range Hood Vent & the Dryer Vent? Seems odd to put the roof on, the ceiling drywall, etc... and then get down to installing...
4
4

How to stiffen interior wall with subwoofers
I want to stiffen an interior wall in which I plan to install subwoofers for a home theater. I would like advice on the best way to do it.
20
20

Concrete Driveway Sealing
I'm in Central NY with a new concrete driveway... looking for affordable advice on sealing the concrete driveway, mostly from roadsalt. Advice is to avoid barrier sealants that won't...
2
2

Shower bed mortar
Does anyone know if it is OK to use regular brick mortar for a custom shower bed? Thanks in advance K
18
18

Iced Furnance Air Intake
on 9/4/2007 12:19 PM Wayne Whitney said the following: I'm still at a loss. Shouldn't the clothes dryer have an exhaust vent to the outside? Is it exhausting into the room? Is this the same...
22
22