Best Rated threads in Building Constructionshow all threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

How do you maximize space with a gambrel roof?
For any who might be able to offer some advice... I'm interested in framing a gambrel roof on a building 28' wide, and am trying to avoid the constriction of space. In all the reading I have done,...

Source for plywood roof sheathing with radiant barrier in SF Bay Area?
Hi all, We are in the middle of remodeling our home, and are having difficulties sourcing the following material on short notice: 1/2" plywood roof sheathing with radiant barrier applied Are there any...
34
34

Home constructions questions
Hello, I am having a house built in South Carolina by a large home builder and have seen some issues with a couple of things and have been told several reasons by the builder but haven't gotten a...
22
22

Subfloor insulation
Am dissatisfied, after living in my new home for 2 years. Home is on concrete 12X12 piers/crawlspace, no slab. Live in central TX, very mild winters. Yet, in the winter, the floor is very noticably...
2
2

Excavation costs
I'm told that here in NH I can expect to pay approx $85-$100 per hour for general excavation work which should include all machine transportation and operational costs (one backhoe). Does this sound...
6
6

ideas for leveling floor
A freind asked me ideas on how he could level his floor. My feinds kitchen is in the korner of his house, and that corner of the house has settled... so now the floor is unlevel I talked to him about...
12
12

Concrete Slab costs
My project is to tear down a car port, remove the existing slab, pour a new slab, and build an enclosed 2-car garage. I received a bid for removing the existing slab, prep work, new slab with...
6
6

anti-mold construction spray
First off, I have never heard of a mold preventative spray. Fiberglass insulation itself will mold---how would you spray that so it penetrated the batts? If you were going to plan on letting a wall...
10
10

DOOR CASING TRIM INSTALLATION QUESTION
I'm putting up new 2 1/2 inch wide door casing on a 36"x80 interior door The door frame is not always even with the sheetrock all the way around.. In some places the sheetrock may stick out, about...
16
16

Papering a dormer
Actually it's not a dormer. A ridge perpendicular to the main body ridge. Anybody got a pointer to a web doc that shows the proper way to apply felt? Here's a sky view of it:
14
14

Kitchen cabinets inquiry
I've done a lot of construction on my house, and am going to install hardwood floors in my kitchen. But, as part of an overall remodel on the kitchen, I'll also install granite countertops and modify...
4
4

can an above ground pool damage my newly installed paver job?
We got a huge patio professionally installed with pavers. We would like to get an above ground pool - one of those $250 ones you can buy at walmart or target) for the summer. Being that the area is...
10
10

install staple up radiant before hardwood floors?
I am planning on putting in staple up radiant heating for my main floor while I am finishing my basement (since I will have access to the underside of the floor). At a future date I want to remove the...
4
4

1/2" drywall ceiling on 24" centerline joists
I am replacing a ceiling in a room that will be more or less 6' x 12'. The ceiling joists are 11-7/8 I joists running perpendicular to the 12' axis on 24" centers. The rest of the house is over 40...
12
12

Good metal building suppliers?
I'm building a 30x60x12 ft garage/workshop, going with metal... Who are people here recommending for suppliers. I've asked for quotes from a number of companies but as always each company says "We are...
14
14

Spray Polyurethane Foam Roofing
If you need a new roof, roof repair, or have any questions regarding a Spray Polyurethane Foam Roofing system feel free to contact us anytime at

Location of Rim Joist
Looks like vinyl siding? You should be able to remove a piece of the soffit underneath and see what's up there.
12
12

Wooden Driveway Gate
There are steel gate kits available that accept the wooden fence slats of your choice. They are very reasonable and work well: Adjust-A-Gate Overview
10
10

Ridgid Battery Warranty
Anyone know the warranty on Ridgid 18V batteries? My guess is a year. I know the tools themself are 3 yrs. The batteries are those that came with the combo kit which is 2 1/2 yrs old. Thanks, Al...

does radiant heat work under carpet in basement?
I am thinking about using radiant heat panels (Roth) in an in process finished basement. I have hydronic already in the house with a boiler. But I would be using carpet in the basement...will these...
42
42