Trouble with Sheetrock over Homasote

Hi. I decided to try to soundproof a common wall between me and my tenant. I ripped down the old sheetrock and got rid of the fiberglass insulation. I replaced it with SAFB and put up Homasote. I then put up 5/8" sheetrock by staggering the joints, gluing, and screwing directly into the homasote (not into the studs). The problem is that most of the screws would not set into the sheetrock. I'm assuming this is because they were going into the homasote rather than tightly into the wall studs. Although I read that this was the right thing to do, I'm having doubts because I don't know how to handle all these screwheads that I cant sink. Please help with some advice, else I will just have to cover with another layer of rock but this time screwed right into the studs. Thanks.

Reply to
Lou

I don't see how the screws in only the Homasote would ever hold. Maybe the thinking is that the screws into the studs would act as an acoustical short circuit, but that's not very swift thinking unless you have a truly critical application and construction.

Back out the screws in the Homasote and screw into the studs. If it makes you feel better, and you feel like taking down the drywall that's already up, you can use some construction adhesive to glue the drywall to the Homasote. Then you'll be able to use very few screws into the studs - you could even remove all the screws, but again, it's not critical.

RicodJour

What is safb, true soundproofing is a floating wall. sound is transmitted through attached structures, what you have done may not help much.

Reply to
ransley

=BF=BDI then put

SAFB is sound attenuation fire blankets. They are supposed to be better than fiberglass insulation and actually the best insulation there is. And true, what I've done hasn't helped as much as I wouls have liked, but has helped a good deal.

Reply to
Lou

Add a sheet of 5/8, I bet it could be partly isolated by using rubber washers, but even 5/8 will help. Or run beard of heavy caulk every ft on first sheet and let it cure hard to isolate the 2 sheets then screw on 5/8 drywall , a wall rug hanging can help alot.

Reply to
ransley

Thank you both. I will give it a go.

Reply to