vapor barrier for three season porch

I'm installing a new t&g fir floor, the floor is around two and half feet above an open space. There was some old insulation below that I have removed. I plan to install unfaced insulation and a half inch plywood sheathing to the bottom of the joists to keep the critters out. I also plan to install a 6 mil plastic over the existing floor deck (under the the new fir) as a vapor barrier, is this a good plan?

Reply to
Ed

What kind of climate do you live in? One problem with fiberglass in a floor is that you inevitably wind up with gaps next to the subfloor which will result in convection currents that detract from the r- value. You might want to add a layer of foam to the underside. If you had room to add foam to the top side, that would help too. In my experience, floors take extra care or you will have cold feet.

Reply to
marson

I wouldn't think of installing engineered flooring without some padding

Ive only installed it once, but I was so impressed with the dramatic difference. the padding really made all the difference, the old floors were very lumpy, the padding just leveled it all out.

Tony

As this is an unheated porch, I would not install a vapor retarder. Condensation isn't much of a problem in a cold climate if the room is unheated.

Reply to
Dennis