Best Rated threads in Building Constructionshow all threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Lessons learned installing a torsion spring in a typical residential garage
They use a high pressure crimping machine to attach the winding cone at the factory. The spring and cone are always sold as a unit.
23
23

Removing Epoxy Pebble Flooring
I have a concrete patio that was overlaid with epoxy pebble or aggregate several years ago. The epoxy is slowly disintegrating so I want to remove it. What is the best method of doing this?
4
4

Advice needed on painting outdoor teak furniture.
A client wants her heavy teak outdoor chairs painted (low lustre) white. I asked Benjamin Moore what primer and paint they'd recommend I use. They said that: "Due to the nature of teak being an "oily"...
8
8

ok without ceiling joists?
Hi, I'm a DIYer that's making plans to build a wood working shed in my backyard. I do woodworking as a hobby but I've never done any construction such as this. The workshop is going to be...
40
40

Best gusset material for post & beam construction
I'm building a covered deck off my upstairs bedroom. The design will use 4x6 posts and a 4x10 beam for the base support and 4x4 posts and a 4X8 beam for the roof. According to the carpenter, I...
12
12

How does cement work?
How does cement REALLY work? I know it involves a complex chemical reaction in which water plays an important role. However, it seems to be a common misconception that setting cement is a lot like...
18
18

Wire and conduit size for detached shop building
Hello all. I am running power to detached shop on a hobby farm in rural Missouri. For the work, permits and inspecions are not required. Power will come from 200 Amp meter box. Straight run to breaker...
14
14

Cannot program Onkyo Receiver with Direct TV remote -- Help !
I have a Direct TV system, and an Onkyo Receiver. I run the audio through my stereo system. I am trying to program my Direct TV remote, so that I can adjust the tv volume, by adjusting the volume on...
5
5

Stained Stucco Under Window
Some of windows on this house have discolored stucco at the corners under the window. Some have a visible crack. We had several days of rain prior to this picture. Can anyone explain this? Thanks Andy
10
10

Modular Homes Suck!
Beware: Do not buy a modular home until you hear of our nightmare experience. The home we poor sods bought was built by ProBuilt Homes; Miffleton, Pa. Our dealer was New Millenium; Warner, NH. The...
56
56

skil hd77 case
Hello, I recently purchased a skil hd77 wormdrive circular saw. It did not come with a case and I am having difficulty finding them for sale via the internet. Is there anyone on this group who has...
10
10

Removing Attic Cross Beams
I am helping a friend with a project. He has a raised ranch style home, I believe. There is a basement, one main floor, and an attic. The attic has no exterior walls other than that on each end. It is...
15
15

Hardie Board over foam board
I have 1 1/2" foam insulation installed on my house. We would like to install Hardie Board over that, but the Hardie website states that it can only be installed over 1" foam insualtion. Can I still...
12
12

Replacing Electrical Weatherhead ?
I am a homeowner in Burlingame California I am getting a new roof installed and noticed that my weatherhead is very rusty. Also the ground wire is attached through an insulator into my roof. I would...
3
3

Harbor Freight 3rd Hand Support
Has anyone had experience with the Harbor Freight version of the 3rd Hand Support Bar Item Number 95746, and/or how it compares to the Fastcap original. I'm interested in the HB one asit is so...
4
4

Caulk or grout against fibreglass tub?
Should I grout between ceramic floor tile and a fibreglass tub...or caulk? I prefer the look of grout but not sure if it adheres to fibrglass. Anyone know for sure? Thanks in advance, K
12
12

New home site prep costs
2 of my sons prepped about a 1/2 an acre of hilly, rocky, mildly wooded area. Took them about 2 months on weekends only. This was for my homesite on 5 acres of land. Shortly afterwards, I retired from...
30
30

Finishing trim on a new shower?
Just finished installing a shower in an existing bathroom that previously had only toilet & sink. 1-piece shower shell placed in corner against 2 existing sheet rock walls. Added floor-to-ceiling stud...
22
22

Is my sunroom included in square footage calculations?
Pardon me if I double-posted, but I am not sure if my last posting worked. I have a home with an attached sunroom of approximately 400 sq. feet. I know that it was not included in square footage...
8
8

Two 15 amp breakers Vs 15 amp double pole
Question: I have a well pump conected to one of those breaker that have 2 15 amp on the outside and 2 15 amp in the centre but connected together with a small metal rod, So they both move at the same...
13
13