Soapy Laundry

When I wash colored clothes like sweat pants, sweat shirts, etc. they come out with a soapy film on them. I'm using warm water and have tried using less detergent with no results.

After the clothes dry you can actually see patches on the clothes from where the soap was. Any ideas how to solve this problem?

Reply to
vindaloo1

This is detective work... Determine the proper amount of detergent you really need--too much or too little is not good. Add just enough detergent to make the water slippery--no more. Don't overload your washer and use different-sized articles in a single wash. Add vinegar to the rinse water. It's possible your washer is not working properly. Dissolve powder detergent to water rather than directly on dry clothes. Other things to consider are water hardness, detergent brand/type, fabric softeners/sheets, etc. I'm sure there are many other ideas.

Reply to
Phisherman

I remember a home economist's advice: strip your clothes if there's too much of soap build up. She recommended running the clothes in a cycle of dish washing detergent!

You might try to clean the washing maching by running a cycle of vinegar and water.

Joan

Reply to
jes

Add washing soda. Soap is soluble because it's made with sodium or potassium. Hard water has calcium or magnesium. When it replaces the sodium or potassium in soap, it makes something insoluble that sticks to clothes.

Washing soda is sodium carbonate. The carbonate makes calcium and magnesium settle out and leave the soap alone. I think most brands of powdered detergent contain sodium carbonate. They probably don't all contain the same amount.

***
Reply to
Sawney Beane

Thanks for all the info. I definitely have hard water. But whites (using hot water) seem to come out fine. When I wash colored I use warm water and I have tried using less detergent. Still no change.

Reply to
vindaloo1

I suspect your whites are leaving spots that you can't see. Consider installing a water softener or add a water softener to your laundry. Your clothes will be cleaner, you'll use less soap, and spots should disappear.

Reply to
Phisherman

A water softener is one of life's little pleasures. They aren't too awfully expensive, and they are rather easy to install yourself if you have even the most basic plumbing skills.

Reply to
Vox Humana

Thanks for the info. I'll have to look into a water softening system.

Reply to
vindaloo1

Using powder or liquid detergent? Some powders seem to leave residue more than others.

snipped-for-privacy@netzero.com wrote:

Reply to
me

Sounds like you need to go to your machines final rinse cycle & add one gallon of white vinegar to remove soap scum build up.

Reply to
ms. tonya