(Somewhat OT) Laundry Detergent Odor

Regarding liquid laundry detergent.

Why do they have to put ODOR into this stuff? I have tried different brands and different scents. ALL of them make my clothing smell like perfume. Maybe women like this sort of thing, but I DONT! I dont want my clothes to have ANY smell after I wash them, except to smell clean, which should mean NO SMELL! Why cant they make this stuff WITHOUT SCENT?

And while I'm on the subject, I have always wondered if laundry detergent is really needed. It's the water that cleans the clothing, so what good is laundry detergent? Does it really help clean the clothing, or is this just something that our parents and grand parents used, and now we think we need it? I recall once starting a load of laundry, and then I realized that I did not have any detergent. Since the clothes were already wet, I washed them as usual, and they seemed to come out just as clean as if I had used detergent. So, why do we need it at all?

I later thought I could have probably squirted some dish detergent into the washer, but by then it was too late. I'd expect both would be about the same sort of thing. I know that dishes require detergent, because it help cut the grease, but clothing is usually not greasy, just dirty from contact with filthy objects and sometimes contact with mud and soil. So, unless the clothing is soiled with something like automotive grease, it would seem that detergent is not doing much of anything except selling products.

Reply to
Paintedcow

Uh, they do, have for years. We use ALL Free, but there are a half dozen brands with no scent. Try reading the labels.

You can use half what they tell you. Detergent contain surfactants that make the water "wetter" and help it lift the dirt. Also break down the oils that the fabric absorbed from your skin or splatter from cooking.

See above comments about oils.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

They make detergent with no scent, dryer sheets with no scent, all sorts of things with no scent. Personally, I can't stand the smell.

Reply to
SeaNymph

We always used Wisk and not the white capped "low odor" stuff and it was ok. Seven years ago we got a front loader washer and couldn't tolerate the smell left behind. Actually, I couldn't tolerate the residual on my skin. Besides the smell, my skin itched. We converted to the "white Wisk" and we actually selected the extra rinse and even put some loads through a short complete wash cycle with no soap. The residue problem persisted so we eventually got rid of the front loader and got probably one of the last top loaders which really fills the tub with water. This was a major difference. We still use the white labelled Wisk. Even now, sometimes, when a tee gets tangled in some other larger piece of clothing, you can still smell the remnants of White Wisk and feel the itch, but it is rare. I guess I developed some kind of intolerance but still, a washer should not be leaving soap on the clothing.

Reply to
Art Todesco

Boy, you sure have a lot of problems.

Reply to
trader_4

They do. I use Arm and Hammer unscented.

Plain water will clean a lot of things, but not grease (like the body oils that rub off you onto your clothes). One washing wouldn't matter, but if you never used detergent, eventually your clothing would smell rank.

Hand dishwashing detergent might be too sudsy, and machine detergent is too harsh.

Clothing is greasy on the inside after you've worn it.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton

trader_4 posted for all of us...

He certainly does... You know how some people talk where the say anything that comes into their mind? I'm not saying he has a mind but he doesn't verbalize or Google it but just posts it.

Reply to
Tekkie®