your thoughts on metric

Page 6 of 11

I've worked with both systems, and agree that the metric system is easier to use.
I've already got wrench and socket sets in US and metric sizes, so that's no problem. Oh, and Whitworth too - so I'm completely covered.
But - remember the adage about not changing horses in mid-stream?
I don't want to have to buy new taps and dies in metric sizes, except for those few I already have. Gets expensive when you add in pipe threads - although, from what I understand, even European pipe sizes are inch-based.
I don't want to have to buy new brace bits, Forstner bits and brad point bits in metric sizes to fit metric dowels, plugs and bolts.
Metal bits? I've already got #1-80, A-Z, fractional through 1" and some larger. Pretty good range of sizes, so all I have to do is convert from the chart for metric tap drills. But that won't work for things like dowel pins - so I guess I'd need sets of metric reamers as well as the drills.
Fence markings on my table saw would be fairly easy to replace. But the feedscrews and leadscrews on my lathe and milling machine are another matter. Same with the lathe change gears.
When I buy plywood or wallboard for house repairs, it's nice to buy sizes that fit those 12", 16" or 24" center spacings for joists, studs and rafters. Sure would be a PITA to have to trim metric sized sheets to fit. Same with dimensional lumber. It sure isn't much fun to add to old framing made with 2 x 4s that were 1-5/8" thick or 1-3/4" thick when those today are only 1-1/2".
Same goes for metalwork. I guess if I need a piece of bar stock or plate to replace or modify an old US sized piece I can always buy the next larger metric size and cut it down on the mill and surface grinder. But I'd rather not have to. Surface grinder - have to change the feedscrews and dials on that too.
I can buy new tapes, rules, micrometers, calipers, 1-2-3 blocks, etc. But, again, I'd rather not have to.
New dado blades, milling cutters, etc. The investment grows.
Maybe we should go all the way and change away from our archaic units of time, angle measurement, and so on. Put everything on base 10 systems. No more of this 24/7 stuff.
Yeah, it's a better system. It is easier. Use it all you want. Just pray that it doesn't become mandatory here in your lifetime - or mine.
John Martin

all will finally be well!*G*
Leif

Yea, they'll do as good a job as they did winning Congress last mid- terms.
(Nice troll, btw.)

*snip*
See, now that's the problem. We've got two ways of measuring the same thing, and have to have seperate tools for each. I'm happy to stay with the US system, or if we could switch over to Metric it'd sure solve a lot of duplication problems.
No, it won't happen over night. My guess is it will take 3 or 4 generations to completely change over. There will still be a need for US sized tools though, for machinery such as steam locomotives and old combines that need to be worked on and not changed over for historic preservation reasons.
Take a bit of advice from a frazzled Physics student: Unit conversions are bad enough with one measurement system. Don't throw another one in!
Puckdropper

Lee wrote:

Accuracy? Lots of measuring devices are marked in 64s. Don't know if metric things are marked in part millimeters or not but if not, a mark would be 1/25.4".
I agree 10ths make more sense but I'm too old to change...I bought a fractional calculator.
--

dadiOH
____________________________
Lee wrote:

Start using a $20, 6" dial caliper calibrated in 0.000" and 90 percent of the problem dissapears.
Lew

IMHO it all sounds the same. Was that 250 Millimeters, Centimeters, etc.?
What is wrong with fractions? What do you get when you subtract 374 mm from 47 cm? What is half of 383 mm?
IMHO metric is simply a different distance but no easier.

That's pretty much how I see it too. The 'metric' generation can't make change at a cash register without a calculator, and that money has been metric forever.
My daughters are all totally metric, as I once was. But still, when they were talking about a 1 metre high hedge, I had to convert to about 3 feet before I had a concept of the heigth of that hedge. 3 Feet is about 'that' high...one metre?? WTF?
<snip>

Bingo! I've been using, thinking, and visualizing Imperial units for over 50 years now and whenever I encounter metric units other than the basics, I have to convert to imperial. IOW - 33 or 56 inches is easy to visualize, but not 84 or 142 cm.
I've worked in the civil engineering field for over 30 years, and visualization is very important in order to get a feel for the job, and recognize incorrect answers when you see them.
Bill
"Bill" wrote:

Motto of the Civil Eng:
It may be crap to you, but it's money to me<G>.
Lew
"Robatoy" wrote:

As someone who was taught to "make change" in the 3rd grade and later worked "retail" while in highschool, "making change" became a way of life.
Today, when I make a retail transaction and hand the clerk, excuse me, they call them "associates" don't they, an odd amount so I will not get a handful of change back, I get the strangest looks.
It is only when they enter the amount in the register that there is any recognition of what just happened.
Lew
"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message

LOL ... The tab is $1.96 ... you give the clerk two dollar bills and a penny, and they look at you like "What the hell do I do now?"

As long as we have electricity, who needs money?
... just returning from the post office where I paid $1.14 in postage with my handy dandy debit/check card and thus don't have to deal with a pocket full of "change" ... plus I've forgotten what real money looks like.
(Actually, I did see an American coin the other day I had to look twice at to tell what it was ... never thought I'd see the day).
There is also one other MAJOR benefit to plastic, particularly if there is a preponderence of females in the house ... no "real" money in your pockets to "borrow".
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 9/30/07

HA! "'Bout them jeans, DAAAAD"
"Well, hon, I don't have that kinda cash on me right now..."
"Thassokay.. just use one of them cards..."
That's a knife that cuts both way...lol
"Robatoy" wrote in message

Sounds like the voice of experience, eh? Yabbut, big difference ... one's entirely voluntary; and you don't reach in your pocket knowing damn well there _was_ a twenty in there yesterday.
... well maybe not that "big" a difference ... at the end of the month. :)
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 9/30/07

Here in Kanuckistan, we have a 'money leak'. They're called Toonies. A two-dollar coin. Looks like 'just change'
"Dad, can I have this change?"
"Sure, kiddo."
Next thing you know, you're out 16 bucks.

Its a crying shame, A freind and I went into a Washington Mutual bank a few years back. He was cashing a check and I spied a book for storing all the state quarters. I bought the book from the "clerk"/vice president?, and the total was $20.17. I gave him 2 tens, and a quarter, and 2 pennies. He had to walk over to a calculator to determine that he owed me 15 cents, which he did not. He had a great explanation, take the 2 pennies from from the 17 cents and then subtract the result from the quarter, and you get 15 cents, which was again wrong. Another trip to te the calculator to get the same wrong reaults and finally I explained that the formulas was correct but the answer was wrong. His response, calculators are not wrong. My response was the answer is wrong because you don't know how to enter the number or do simple math in your head.
We both won, he still gave me 15 cents change and I ended up with too much change.
Again, this was a bank employee.
Leon wrote: ...

Actually, he lost. Come end of the day and his till was short, he had to make it up, undoubtedly.
"Swingman" wrote:

postage with

pocket
Debit cards, the biggest screw job foisted on the public by the credit card industry yet.
The day in hell has not yet gotten cold enough for me to have a debit card.
Lew
"Lew Hodgett" wrote

... and just how do you figure that, old man? :)
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 9/30/07
"Swingman" wrote:

Simple.
If you use a credit card and something goes wrong, you dispute it and retain the use of your money while the dispute.
If your credit card gets stolen and unauthorized charges are made, it is the credit card companies responsibility to clean it up.
If you use a debit card is used, payment is instantenous.
If something goes wrong, you are on your own.
If the debit card is stolen and they drain your account, it's your problem.
As I said, just another way for the credit card company to screw you.
Lew