your thoughts on metric

Page 4 of 11

Let's keep things in perspective.
1 liter lead-free gas (Euro 95) costs about Euro 1,35 in Wageningen, the Netherlands
1 Euro = US $1.418 as of 10/14/07 1 gallon (US, liquid) = 3.78 liter
So lead-free gas (Euro 95) costs: 3.78*1.418*1.35= US $7.24/gallon Near here in New Jersey, a cheap station (Woroco) sells unleaded regular for $2.45/gallon
Happy driving in Europe!
--
Best regards
Han

What's the change in price over the last 5 years been in Europe?
Puckdropper

Using the official exchange rate of $ vs euro, gas used to be twice as expensive in Europe as here in Jersey. Now it is a 3-fold difference. In part because the US$ has devalued so much. About 5 years ago, a euro was $0.85 or so. Now it is $1.42. From the perspective of worldwide competition, it is "good" for the US manufacturer and worker in the export fields. Eventually, it'll be rather bad for the ordinary consumer.
--
Best regards
Han

Yeah buttttt. Every thing in Europe is closer. A cross country drive in the U.S. probably costs as much as a Cross country drive in Europe.
Sun, Oct 14, 2007, 2:39pm (EDT+4) snipped-for-privacy@nospam.not (Han) doth sayeth: <snip> Near here in New Jersey, a cheap station (Woroco) sells unleaded regular for $2.45/gallon <snip>
The down side there would be living in New Jersey.
On Oct 15, 4:18 pm, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (J T) wrote:

Hey, be nice. I lived in Joisey for eight years one time. Oops. Make that eight weeks.
snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (J T) wrote in (Han) doth sayeth:

I live in Radburn www.radburn.org.
Mohonk is about an hour away. http://www.mohonk.com/ not cheap, but I think it is worth it.
--
Best regards
Han
Han wrote:

You forgot to add the three quarter of a trillion dollars YOU and I have spent on Iraq - so far. The 3,800 lives - well how do you put a dollar value on them? Don't know about NJ gas prices but I just pumped $3.119 per gallon for 87 octane here in CA and a barrel of oil was at $89 today. Was hovering around $60 a barrel BII (Before Invading Iraq). Far as I can tell, based on the profits statements of the major oil companies, we're paying more than just the pump price for our gasoline. Now I know that some of the price increase is attributable to increased demand from China and India - but . . .
charlie b
having an imperial and metric tape measure and a digital caliper that can be switched between decimal inches, fractional inches and mm does make transitioning / converting.

much snipped.
Churchill said something like democracy is the worst system on earth, but there is nothing better.
Somebody else said that if ou repeat a lie often enough, it becomes the "truth" As an immigrant in 1969 I have fared rather well.
--
Best regards
Han

Han... A version of that one that I use often is: "Perception becomes reality if you can get enough people to share the perception"
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
Lee wrote:

What with China making all the tools, we're slowly indoctrinating them into the Imperial system. Then all the stuff that goes to Europe, etc., will be in FPS measurements and all will come back to that which has worked so well.
Look, MKS (Meter/Kilogram/Second) is okay for science and whatnot, but it just doesn't work for human use.
"A pint's a pound the world around" and it will be again.
HeyBub wrote:

But it could. The conversion is what's difficult. When gasoline is sold by the liter, who gives a shit about the gallon? We'd see one gas station selling gas for 64 cents per liter and the station on the other side of the street is selling it for 69 cents, how tough is it to figure out? We will figure out that our cars can go 500 km on a tank, which will hold maybe 60 liters. It won't take all that long to become comfortable with it. If Europe was able to manage it, why the hell couldn't we? Aren't we smart enough?
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com
"Mortimer Schnerd, RN" <mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com> wrote in message

I think we are smart enough. I think the rest of the world uses metric because they need something that they think is simpler. Is the rest of the world smart enough to use inches?

"The metric system is the tool of the devil! My car gets forty rods to the hogshead and that's the way I likes it." - Abe Simpson
http://improve-usenet.org /
Mortimer Schnerd, RN wrote:

We're smart enough. We're just not dumb enough.
Mortimer Schnerd, RN wrote:

Why should one _want_ to "become comfortable with it"? If I get a new pair of boots and walk in them a while I'll be comfortable in them, but if there's nothing wrong with my old boots why should I bother?
And you seem to be ignoring the fact that the English system, parts of which go back to Rome, was to a substantial extent designed around the human form.
--John

It works in 80% of the world. It CAN work here if we want it to.
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

So give us a reason to want it to. If you don't like the US then move somewhere more to your liking. Part of freedom is the freedom to leave.
--John
: Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
:>> Look, MKS (Meter/Kilogram/Second) is okay for science and whatnot, :>> but it just doesn't work for human use. :>> :> :> It works in 80% of the world. It CAN work here if we want it to.
: So give us a reason to want it to. If you don't like the US then move : somewhere more to your liking. Part of freedom is the freedom to : leave.
And no country hs ever voluntarily adopted the metric system -- it's always been legislated and forced upon the citizenry.
    -- Andy Barss

You got that bass ackwards. Many countries changed from imperial to metric. When I was a kid, there were still imperial nuts and bolts and tools in use in Germany. By the time I was a teen, they had disappeared. When I moved to New Zealand in the early 1980ies everybody was still talking inches and feet (so I converted) but by now I seem the only one still using inches for timber size <grin>, everybody else uses mm -- actually I use mm as measurement for doing my joinery, I just think to _order_ 4x1 and 6x2 etc.
Trust me, metric is a heck of a lot easier to use, and makes a lot more sense than fractions. One look at a metric ruler next to an imperial one will illustrate what I mean.
Of course I can appreciate that using fractions acts like a kind of mental aerobics to keep the grey matter working.
OT (because it's metalwork) but still relevant is my experience that metric threads work better than imperial ones. I have had a lot more trouble with imperial screws and bolts on machinery shaking/working loose than with metric. Coarse metric is finer and the pitch is different. Fine metric (as found on H/T bolts for instance) is even better still in demanding applications.
-P.