your thoughts on metric

So give us a reason to want it to. If you don't like the US then move somewhere more to your liking. Part of freedom is the freedom to leave.

Reply to
J. Clarke

And if someone can make enough by changing to metric to recoup the cost more power to them. That is not justification for _me_ to do it.

Reply to
J. Clarke

And there you have it. People _want_ to. Nobody has suggested that a person who _wants_ to change to metric should be prohibited from doing so. So what are you on about?

Reply to
J. Clarke

As someone who was taught to "make change" in the 3rd grade and later worked "retail" while in highschool, "making change" became a way of life.

Today, when I make a retail transaction and hand the clerk, excuse me, they call them "associates" don't they, an odd amount so I will not get a handful of change back, I get the strangest looks.

It is only when they enter the amount in the register that there is any recognition of what just happened.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Motto of the Civil Eng:

It may be crap to you, but it's money to me.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Big Al's too busy destroying the credibility of the Nobel Prize committee to be bothered with that right now.

They really should have just created a new category, the Nobel Slinging Bullshit Prize.

Reply to
J. Clarke

There is no industry, like the construction industry which primarily uses softwoods, which requires "standards" to build to?

The cell structure for softwoods is less subject to stability issues inherent with different methods of cutting a log, thereby it's easier/more cost effective/less waste to produce to standardized sizes while maintaining stability?

There is a lot of waste in milling standardized nominal sizes with hardwoods, because of the above, that they couldn't charge you for?

I dunno ... just a few guesses, among many.

Reply to
Swingman

I am going down later today to personally fire all of the meteorologists in Houston! Yesterday morning at about 7:30 I was listening to the channel 2 weather and they were simply restating what they predicted that the weather would feel like, the day before.

It is going to be DRY and cool.

I went outside and saw a heavy layer of dew on my truck and on my son's car and then I looked at the big wet spot on the drive way where the dew had been dripping off of the house.

The SOB's don't care about facts!

Reply to
Leon

LOL ... The tab is $1.96 ... you give the clerk two dollar bills and a penny, and they look at you like "What the hell do I do now?"

As long as we have electricity, who needs money?

... just returning from the post office where I paid $1.14 in postage with my handy dandy debit/check card and thus don't have to deal with a pocket full of "change" ... plus I've forgotten what real money looks like.

(Actually, I did see an American coin the other day I had to look twice at to tell what it was ... never thought I'd see the day).

There is also one other MAJOR benefit to plastic, particularly if there is a preponderence of females in the house ... no "real" money in your pockets to "borrow".

Reply to
Swingman

HA! "'Bout them jeans, DAAAAD"

"Well, hon, I don't have that kinda cash on me right now..."

"Thassokay.. just use one of them cards..."

That's a knife that cuts both way...lol

Reply to
Robatoy

"Leon" wrote

Before you do, make sure it wasn't that BIG dog of yours... ! :)

And obviously, neither do committee's who award certain prizes. :)

Reply to
Swingman

Sounds like the voice of experience, eh? Yabbut, big difference ... one's entirely voluntary; and you don't reach in your pocket knowing damn well there _was_ a twenty in there yesterday.

... well maybe not that "big" a difference ... at the end of the month. :)

Reply to
Swingman

Its a crying shame, A freind and I went into a Washington Mutual bank a few years back. He was cashing a check and I spied a book for storing all the state quarters. I bought the book from the "clerk"/vice president?, and the total was $20.17. I gave him 2 tens, and a quarter, and 2 pennies. He had to walk over to a calculator to determine that he owed me 15 cents, which he did not. He had a great explanation, take the 2 pennies from from the 17 cents and then subtract the result from the quarter, and you get 15 cents, which was again wrong. Another trip to te the calculator to get the same wrong reaults and finally I explained that the formulas was correct but the answer was wrong. His response, calculators are not wrong. My response was the answer is wrong because you don't know how to enter the number or do simple math in your head.

We both won, he still gave me 15 cents change and I ended up with too much change.

Again, this was a bank employee.

Reply to
Leon

Here in Kanuckistan, we have a 'money leak'. They're called Toonies. A two-dollar coin. Looks like 'just change'

"Dad, can I have this change?"

"Sure, kiddo."

Next thing you know, you're out 16 bucks.

Reply to
Robatoy

Saws, planers, and other stuff can care less about units. At worst, it's a new decal.

Most of us already have metric sockets, as even my Jeep Wrangler has metric bolts.

Reply to
B A R R Y

Leon wrote: ...

Actually, he lost. Come end of the day and his till was short, he had to make it up, undoubtedly.

--

Reply to
dpb

postage with

Debit cards, the biggest screw job foisted on the public by the credit card industry yet.

The day in hell has not yet gotten cold enough for me to have a debit card.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Yeah, but that's nothing new. Whatever shred of credibility that committee may have had remaining disappeared in 1994 when they awarded the Nobel Prize for Peace (!) to a terrorist (Yasser Arafat).

Looking over the list of laureates

appears that the inmates began making a concerted effort to take over the asylum beginning around 1960.

Reply to
Doug Miller

"The metric system is the tool of the devil! My car gets forty rods to the hogshead and that's the way I likes it." - Abe Simpson

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

Archh yes, laddy, 'bout a dram of scotch?

Reply to
Robatoy