You Get What You Pay For (YGWYPF)

A few months ago, I made note here that a fitting (upper wheel spindle) for an ancient Craftsman bandsaw (103.0103) had given up the ghost. No replacements via Sears, OWMM was no help. It was an aluminum casting but I tried JB Weld anyway to no avail. I was then trying to find a machinist who would fabricate one given the old parts. I wasn't having much luck finding someone who would (and could) do a "one-off".

Then my next door neighbor said he was doing some work for a local guy who might help. Went to see him and he said, somewhat enthusiastically, "no problem". Turns out he wasn't the machinist but worked at a place that did some of this kind of stuff. Well, OK. To shorten this up, several months of calls, drop bys (howzit goin'?), and "it's done, I forgot to pick it up"s, I finally had it in hand. Needed one more weld and some trimming. Three weeks later, I just wanted it, in whatever conditions, in my hand. Well, it doesn't fit. Zounds. Od bodkins. Farginn' A. Am trying to touch it up with the grinder and hacksaw, but I don't think I can get it close enough.

If anybody knows of a good machinist who might want to take on this little task for a reasonable fee, let me know. Anywhere in the San Bernardino, CA and surrounding mountain or flatland areas will be fine. TIA and one more grumble. mahalo, jo4hn

Reply to
jo4hn

Is Sierra Madre close enough...? I know a couple of guys who might be able to help.

John Emmons

Reply to
John Emmons

You know, with all the desert rats around there that fabricate all sorts of frames, drivetrains and such there must be someone. Maybe getting an unconventional source might help. Thought I would throw that in.

Reply to
David Babcock

[snip of massive whine]
Reply to
jo4hn

There is a part available through sears. It is not for model "103.0103" but it works the same, it is for a different 12" band saw. You will have to swap the tension adjustment guide out. the one on the replacement model is to big or short I cant remember. Most people have a problem with the blade guide assembly on that model. I also had someone design a good and simple replacement design for that. I gave my band saw (103.0103) away to a new woodworker for helping me re-roof my house. I bought two of the tension/wheel alignment assembly so if you are interested in it let me know. Just to make sure I am talking about the same saw it is the one with the round steel tube as a upright support and is made by "king/sealy" blue in color. Do a search at OWWM for "103.0103" and you should get all of the posts regarding fixing your problem. Any questions let me know.

Reply to
speedbuggy