Workshop In An Alternate Homepower Environment

[totally snipped]

Discussion has drifted to using compressed air as energy-storage medium.

A company I used to work at processed wire, and powered the take-up reel with a rotary-vane air-motor, used as a constant-torque drive. Its air consumption was horrendous for the small amount of work it did.

Another company used an old steam-powered fixed-crane to lift small barges in and out of the water. Its boiler was long gone, so a 1000 CFM diesel air compressor powered it. Sometimes barely...

Are there available air motors efficient enough to make this storage scheme practical?

Tom Willmon near Mountainair, (mid) New Mexico, USA

Net-Tamer V 1.12.0 - Registered

Reply to
twillmon

The fact that TMT has had an overload of help with the subject including a warning about your own incompetence I am sure that he has already worked out that he will have to decide what to do to suit his own needs.

Your fictions are only the mutterings of a sad case who still can not post a sensable account of his energy use let alone anyone else's.

Reply to
George Ghio

Oh, it's a series? Great - Tivo recorded it for me last night, I saw this morning. I _love_ how it finds stuff like this for me.

Wot, they won't keep breaking stuff?

Reply to
Dave Hinz

The US was coming out of a significant depression. There was no "manufacturing based economy" in 1935 or 1940. If anything, it was agriculture-based.

scott

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

Please people! Trim your posts. If you do so, you will not only save bandwidth, but you will save readers lots of scrolling and they will be much more likely to actually read your post. To trim, all you have to do is highlight the area to be eliminated and hit your "Del" key.

For example; Scott's post could look more like below:

Thanks Vaughn

Probably nobody cares but me, but for the sake of the archives I have to back down somewhat.

Turns out an h >>> (Sorry the proper term escapes me.) In this way they can >>> run sweatshops in wire-fenced compounds and legally print "Made in >>> USA" on the goods produced there.

We did track down the reference in question, and it was also about the Marianas. Although this isn't what most people would think of as the "USA" as in "Made in USA," it is not exactly the sort of "special region" that I had claimed to exist within other countries. The Marianas are technically a protectorate - not that this makes it OK, IMHO - but there is a difference.

There *are* special trading zones set up within foreign sovereign countries whose status may facilitate sweatshops (reference: No Logo), but does not confer the right to claim that their products are made in the US.

Reply to
Vaughn Simon

Take the hook out of your mouth George. The troll has struck paydirt with you.

Reply to
John P Bengi

Thanks (to both of you). I can now sleep better at night knowing that there is no significant difference between 230 and 240 VAC ;-)

My little Honda generator is the inverter type so I suspect the voltage regulation is extremely good. I don't recall ever having a need to check it so I don't know offhand if it's accurate or not. I'll probably be checking it soon though because this morning my circular saw was not starting (as though it was not plugged in) and then my belt sander was having trouble getting up to speed. I was also running a 40 amp battery charger so I may have gone over capacity on the poor little Honda. But the Honda has about

12,000 hours on it (original engine) so I guess I can't expect too much from it. >
Reply to
Ulysses

Bandwidth is a non issue. Not since the binary groups started putting

3 hour movies on the net...

Gunner

Gunner

Reply to
George Ghio

Not that I know of. Like you I can think of examples that prove the inefficiency - like a standard corded 3/8 drill that needs but a few hundred Watts of electricity, while its air-powered cousin keeps a

1500 Watt compressor pretty busy. Just the same, I can imagine a Bowjon type windmill/compressor generating compressed air for home shop use. It wouldn't be efficient, but the losses wouldn't matter if the shop's demands were low, and if the windmill, pump, tank and labor were all cheap. It's not something I'd bother with though, and even for somebody with lots of time on their hands, I'd expect wind-driven shop air to come *after* solar-heated water and wind-powered battery charging.

Wayne

Reply to
wmbjk

Perhaps laughing is easier than admitting that your sole supporter is the infamous Gymmy Bob, a loon who hopes to set a record for most posting IDs. I notice that despite being mocked for it, neither of you has posted any details about your off-grid workshops. Here, allow me - If Gymmy/Bengi/Larry Lix/pizza girl actually owns the few Watts of PV he's claimed, then the combined solar output of the Blunder-Loon power company is less than 2kWhrs per day, or about as much as a cheapie generator from Home Depot produces in 30 minutes. If you could sell the energy at retail, the income would be about $73 per year, which is $74 more than the two of you together are worth as fertilizer.

Wayne

Reply to
wmbjk

Perhaps but there are still a lot of people using slow dialup modems and bandwidth remains an issue with them even on these text newsgroups. Clipping the message appropriately also helps improve legibility.

Anthony

Reply to
Anthony Matonak

Yes, I know but this guy only trolls here and adds next to nothing. It's very easy to sit back, say nothing and take potshots at people's spelling and other idiosyncrasies. We all do it to a certain extent but most try to discuss (the reason for being here) and this one doesn't seem to have anything postive to say ever.

Reply to
John P Bengi

The place I'm at is a third generation family buiseness. If you are related, they give you a desk, a computer and a paycheck. The olnly way I have seen an outsider get in on this is to marry into the family.

I'm 45, considered an oldtimer as relativly few last in this buisiness (small job shops) as long as I have.

Same with us.

I see that that is not just a local thing.

Reply to
CW

Do you download every body of every post, or just the headers to see if you are interested, then download them?

It may. It may not.

Gunner

Gunner

Sometimes.

Gunner

Gunner

They exist INSIDE the US as well. Examples in Michigan (I once worked inside one):

Cliff

PEOPLE have bandwidth too. WHY make us search an old post for new material when there is none?

Poor clueless gunner ...

Reply to
Cliff

Only quote the specific bits that you are responding directly to. You need the context but not the rest.

Reply to
Cliff

A. Top Posting.

Cliff