Workshop In An Alternate Homepower Environment

Page 8 of 13

On Tue, 21 Jun 2005 21:24:36 -0400, "John P Bengi" <JBengi (spamm)@(spamm) yahoo,com> wrote:

What was this about?
--
Cliff

Yes John, do that - fuck off!

Why?

Well John, to put it politely, YOU shit in your own nest! And the rest of us cannot operate with the dag hanging from your arse. Plus the methane is unpalatable/unsusable, as is the Host.
On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 12:37:18 -0500, Scott Willing

They exist INSIDE the US as well. Examples in Michigan (I once worked inside one): http://www.crcmich.org/EDSurvey/fedzones/ftz.html
--
Cliff

On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 17:29:43 GMT, Richard the Dreaded Libertarian
"Libertarian"?
LOL ..... http://www.rackjite.com/9looney.htm
I doubt that this one can wear shoes ..... knots, you know ......
--
Cliff

message

Uh, no. It means that we have two billion dollars worth of their crap, and they have our two billion dollars.
This is not necessarily a bad deal in itself. But that's the way it is.
-- Ed Huntress
On Thu, 16 Jun 2005 00:06:43 -0400, "Ed Huntress"

Found a live one, eh? One day they will demand their VALUE back ...... as promised by that paper ....
Then those taxes will ......
--
Cliff

and
I'm not looking forward to it. I have a feeling we're about to try, once again, to follow the pea under the shells, with Milton Friedman moderating.
-- Ed Huntress
Interesting comments by a former Fed chairman:
NewsMax.com Wires Friday, June 10, 2005
"Former Fed Chairman Paul Volcker said he doesn't see how the U.S. can keep borrowing and consuming while letting foreign countries do all the producing.
It's a recipe for American economic disaster.
On Thursday the Wall Street Journal reported bluntly that "Mr. Volcker thinks a crisis is likely."
[snip]"
Rest of article here:
http://www.newsmax.com/archives/articles/2005/6/9/161923.shtml
JLD
Jeff Dantzler wrote:

I believe the theory here is that the US is supposed to be producing and exporting "intellectual property" with value that will offset the value of the "hard goods" we import. Unfortunately this is not working since we are also exporting our capacity to generate "IP" with all of the overseas outsourcing, and we don't have an exclusive on the capacity to produce "IP" to begin with.
What we'll end up with is a bunch of lawyers feeding off of each other in the downward spiral as we end up with no capacity to produce anything for ourselves and consequently no money to import what we need. We'll end up rather like the undeveloped parts of the world are now.
Pete C.

Well, here's a guy who agrees with you...or he did <g>:
"We live in cheap and twisted times. Our leaders are low-rent Fascists and our laws are a tangle of mockeries. Recent polls indicate that the only people who feel optimistic about the future are first-year law students who expect to get rich by haggling over the ruins.and they are probably right." -- Hunter S. Thompson
Pete C. wrote:

The only poetic justice to this is that legal research is now being outsourced to India as well.
--
jeff

Naw, we will just Nationalize their Dept, just like they did with ours, years ago....Payback is a bitch...isn't it..... Remeber the Red chineese never did pay us back for WWII........
Me

Sure. Why not. Oh wait, perhaps it's because they have 2 billion people to fight for them, and a good hunk of our industry. Remember we won WWII because we could build a couple of war machines for every one that the axis powers destroyed. I know, we've still got capacity to produce tanks and planes, but not on the scale needed to beat China with brute manufacturing force- Detroit would have been good for that, but that's gone now. We also used to have a nation of people who loved to work hard and innovate to get ahead. Now we've got a bunch of overgrown whiny fat kids who sit on their asses and watch the tube all day, people who can't even spill coffee on themselves without running to find a lawyer, and whole piles of jerks who can't wait to take the pill-of-the-week to make up for the fact that they're sad/lonely/impotent/lazy/fat/distracted/herpes-ridden.
How, exactly, are we supposed to enforce our claim on anything? Using the poor to kill random brown people every couple of years isn't an indication of strength, it's more akin to schoolyard bullying.

I'll just point out that we didn't have that capacity in 1941, but we did by 1945.
scott

That's a little remembered fact. We could do it again.

The US was a manfacturing based economy. Now, everyone seems hell-bent on pretending we can get by with consumption as our watchword. When you get an entire generation or two who think that they are entitled to consume and feel no need to produce, it doesn't create the kind of environment that allows a society to ratchet up production that quickly. It's a different world now.
On Sun, 19 Jun 2005 06:55:57 -0500, the opaque Prometheus

I'm looking forward with trepidation to the History Channel show "Boneyard" this week, starting tonight:
8-10pm EST-- Boneyard: Where Machines End Their Lives - Where do machines go when they die? From B-52 Bombers to massive aircraft carriers, from passenger cars to Cold War cruise missiles and remnants of the Twin Towers, all that we manufacture has a lifespan. But reaching the end of their original purposes can be just the beginning. Join us on a fascinating visual journey as we follow some of our greatest achievements in manufacturing, design engineering, and construction to their after-lives and final resting places.
I'm keeping a box of Kleenex on the couch when I watch it. Sadly, it marks the end of an era.
-------------------------------------------- -- I'm in touch with my Inner Curmudgeon. -- http://diversify.com Comprehensive Website Development ===========================================================

Oh, it's a series? Great - Tivo recorded it for me last night, I saw this morning. I _love_ how it finds stuff like this for me.

Wot, they won't keep breaking stuff?