When Giants Walked the Wreck - and the proper use of Google

Page 5 of 5

Patriarch wrote:

Umm yeah..
Just remember the bell curve and the definition of a standard distribution and recall that half the people are at and below the line and half are at the "normal" line and above... (Not even trying to get the formal definition correct here guys just flow with it for a minute...)
It's why the "Jig-a-loo" (and swiffer) commercial succeeds. Not sure if that is only in Canukistan that it runs...
Not sure if it would be acceptable to deny access to the other half -- not even sure which "side" has physical control anymore. So not even sure what I mean by "the other half" now that I contemplate the situation.
Selling to the "smart" people appeals to at best less than half the audience. Selling to "the other half" lets you access (almost) all the audience. (Despite any offense taken -- watching the ads that is...)
That explains why people buy and use things they don't understand -- plus a whole lot of other things... like advertising trends for consumer products... and what level they are written to...
And if you think about it you can extend it to "packaging trends" in marketing... And current sales tactics in "big box appliance stores"... No info cause the assume that most people are clueless... (And they are probably right eh?)
Since the people using the internet are "a large sample set" -- guess what?
********************
20% of your customers bring you 80% of your profit etc... Likewise 20% of your customers bring you 80% of your grief...
etc.
Pareto's (sp?) law (80/20 rule) -- it could also describe a lot of things that concern you -- but I suspect you already know that. LOL
**********************
Just some random loosely connected thoughts I guess... :-)
Just enjoy and laugh -- don't get offended.
*****************************
Present company excepted on all examples as a professional courtesy.
**************************
Point being that if you let current trends offend and upset you you will: a: Die sooner b. Die angry. c. Die frustrated d. (Fill the rest in)
and so on...

With AOL's dropping usenet I think we'll see a sudden decline.
--
"I'm a man, but I can change... If I have to... I guess." -- Red Green

Dave Balderstone states:

trending
With AOL's dropping usenet I think we'll see a sudden decline.<<
It gets tiresome. It is a PITA to get on the NG, but that's only because Google is clumsier'n hell right now.
You will see a rise in idiots, I think.
Patriarch wrote:

Well, I remember in the old days, it was a bit difficult to set up and use an NNTP newserver even if you knew they existed.
Now you can access newsgroups via the web and setting up a news account is childs play.
--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.

And the children do play -
Todd Fatheree wrote:

for 20

thinks the

The situation here is far from being out-of-control. However, we do see OT threads being started here where the first article is the ONLY article ever posted to UseNet under that username.
This makes it clear that someone is trying to bust our chain. I supspec that Mr Miller and Mr Hinz would agree that they should be ignored.
--

FF

snipped-for-privacy@spamcop.net wrote:

Yep. And I [generally] do.
<snipparectomy>
Of course, there have always been a few midgets wandering around, too.
Thomas J. Watson - WoodDorker

Don't forget about the bloviating blowhards.
todd
Todd Fatheree wrote:

I have a solution. Whenever you feel the need to read r.w., go to Google groups and do a search for r.w. posts from the wreck's golden age. Read until you're content and stop wasting your time on the current group of plebians.

Okay, you have a point there. But you're not that far behind him in dishing out the political b.s. (btw, I mostly agree with your political bent but it doesn't belong here any more than Doug's does).

mask
Not really. I (and you) can pass over posts we're not interested in much easier than we can ignore a cloud of smoke.

smoking is

smoke.
Poor analogy. Your analogy would be correct if Tom went to the hypothetical usenet group rec.woodworking.off-topic and complained about off-topic posts. But I get your point nonetheless. Off-topic posts are pervasive so complaining about them is sort of silly.

handfulls of

that
by
We're largely in agreement here. The people who complain the loudest about things that they find offensive are usually working pretty hard to be offended.
Cheers, Mike

I think that you would have a difficult time finding any political comments from me since about October of 2004.
You could look it up.
Thomas J. Watson - WoodDorker
Tom Watson wrote:

I stand corrected. Starting a series of political ranting threads is okay as long as it happens during U.S. election season.

I think I'll pass but thanks nonetheless.
Cheers, Mike

IIRC, by October there was no point in *starting* a political ranting thread here on the wreck... It would've been like lighting a match in a wildfire.
Mr. Watson,
I retract my earlier posts in this thread. When I stumbled upon this thread, I read the first paragraph of your post and mistakenly assumed it was another lament about how unworthy the current group of wreckers is (or is that "are"?). Upon reading the entire post, I realized it wasn't as negative as I had assumed.
Nevertheless, I do believe you do not give some current wreckers their due respect. There are several current posters who consistently provide useful ww information and entertaining anecdotes. Perhaps they are ignored because they do not have the panache that of your heroes had but they are here nonetheless. Perhaps if you looked for their signal rather than focusing on the noise, you'd see that the wreck really hasn't changed that much, i.e. it still draws a bunch of disparate folks together to discuss this insane love for wooddorking.
Regards, Mike

I must take issue with you there. I have never *started* one of those threads. But I do find it difficult to sit idly by, when fantasies and outright lies are put forward as "facts".

Thanks; that's mutual, BTW.

Well, you can't expect to agree with everyone you know. I do find it a bit odd, though, that you complained about several of us, by name, who post both on- and off-topic, but didn't even mention others who almost *never* post anything *except* in political threads.
snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote in

I'm not complaining, mind you, but the excellent filtering technologies available (Thank you, sir) allow me to filter the unwanted politically oriented diatribes pretty easily.
But I really don't want to plonk the folks who often have something interesting to say, even when it's supposedly off-topic.
By the way, I've learned to do that in analog life, as well. When the conversation turned to openly gay public school teachers, and how to legislate regarding that activity, I quietly got up, went out to the shop, and put on the hearing protection, and cranked up the big iron.
I can't solve all the problems in the world. Darned few, actually.
Patriarch

Or Walt Akers.
I'm guessing Tom is complaining again about what he does.

On the whole this is a pretty decent group. Much of the advice is uninformed, but there is usually some wheat mixed in with the chaff. Other groups are troubled by lunatics and are unusable. One I visit had to go moderated to escape it. (no, it wasn't me...) So, be grateful for what you have.