Proper bandsaw use

I have always thought or assumed that the upper guides on the band saw should be close to the work and yet I see people on the Internet with the guides being 12 or more inches from the work.

What is proper and why?

Thanks for any replies.

Reply to
swalker

The blade guides should be just above the top of the stock. This reduces the tendency for a blade to wander laterally.

It's possible that the videos you see are running with a non-optimal guide height for photographic purposes.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

swalker snipped-for-privacy@newsguy.com wrote in news:3di2nhtumh30p243dfu5au8lqr3cmf58gc@

4ax.com:

You want to adjust that upper guide to just above your work, about a finger width or so above. It will add support to the cut and prevent cutting your hands on an accidental brush with the saw. (Don't rely on this: always pretend the blade is fully exposed!) It will also help confine the blade in case of a breakage.

Your board may vary in thickness (especially if you haven't planed it) so setting the guide too low may result in the board hitting the guide. By setting it a finger width or so above you'll still have plenty of support and avoid this problem.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

The blade setting is very important, and while it may not prevent an accident, it can minimize the damage if an accident occurs, ie it could mean the difference between loosing a finger, and getting a bad cut.

WHile not on a bandsaw, I got my finger into the blade of a table saw. Since I had the blade only about a 1/4" above the piece i was cutting the blade got into the flesh, but I still have a finger.

Reply to
Keith Nuttle

Answer number 4.

A good bandsaw does not need guides at all.

BUT the upper guides, set close to the top of the work, also adjusts the guard to protect your hand and fingers.

Reply to
Leon

Of course, then there is Sam Maloof....

Reply to