When Giants Walked the Wreck - and the proper use of Google

Once upon a time there were giants.

You may not believe this but it is surely true.

They went by sobriquet such as Leach, Olquin, Radovanic, Duke of Urls, Bennett (including both B the Wise and B the Foolish), Uncle Jessie, Self, Bitchslap Bob, TurdBarge Al - and continue in a litany of fine madness.

They were the abstract geniuses of their time - but they are no more.

True, there are some smatterings of revelation from time to time - but the good old days are gone.

The all consuming swamp of Lurkdom has consumed most of them.

Absolute disinterest has taken the rest.

And there was so much to be learned.

Hearken ye, my children, and punch some of those names into a Google search - using the advanced search function, as Author's name, within the Groups category, within the specific parameter of rec.woodworking.

You will soon see how far we have fallen.

There was a Dark Age once in Western History. A time of indolent madness driven by the religiosity of madmen, leading to a stoppage of real thought.

But there was also a, "rose fingered dawn", there was a time of rebirth, regrouping, Renaissance.

As against the creeping Darkness of this Darkened Wreck, this age consumed by Miller, Hinz and Clarke - which sounds all to much like the bottom of a bad batting order - replace them in your thoughts with the Murderer's Row of Radovanic, Leach and Olguin (who is batting third here but whom I understand to be a damned fine cleanup hitter).

Look them up in Google. Look them up and say a coven's prayer, so as to raise them up in your minds.

For, some can indeed be raised up - and some might visit you with their wisdom.

There were giants once among us, strong and tall - I would see them back again.

Thomas J. Watson - WoodDorker

tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (real email)

(webpage)

Reply to
Tom Watson

Ya know, Tom, nobody's forcing you to read the OT posts...

I sure do miss Tom Gauldin's humor, though.

Doug Miller

Well, we'll get to that in a moment.

As do I. And I also miss your good sense.

(I think that we are getting back to it now)

Doug - you are one of the prime movers of this political horseshit that is being visited upon the Wreck.

I have tremendous respect for you when you speak about wooddorking, but much less so when you turn off into the political lane.

For a brief period, in the months prior to the most recent Presidential Election, I visited that slippery path of political discourse - and I continue to regret it.

Where once I enjoyed the consanguinity of fellow wooddorkers, I found myself to be amazed and occasionally disgusted by their political views.

It was my fault. It is what is called a "category error" by logicians.

I introduced a modality of enquiry into a woodworking forum which truly belonged in another venue.

Upon realizing my error, I apologized, swore it off, and moved on.

Why haven't you?

Your argument that goes to others using filters or ignoring the political diatribes does not go to the point.

The point is - this is not a forum for political bombast.

You are a smart man. You should be able to figure this out.

Your co-conspirators should also be able to figure it out.

Asking me to ignore or filter you is like asking me to wear a gas mask in a bar, if I do not choose to smoke.

There are some bars that are interesting enough that i will choose to be there, regardless of the smoke - until I begin to cough.

You, and your brethren, have made me begin to cough.

Thomas J. Watson - WoodDorker

tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (real email)

(webpage)

Reply to
Tom Watson

Or Walt Akers.

I'm guessing Tom is complaining again about what he does.

Reply to
Leon

I'd say it's more akin to knowing that there is a back room where smoking is allowed, then going back there on purpose and complaining about the smoke.

I just did an informal and impromptu study of the last several handfulls of threads posted to this group. Of the last 50-ish, I came up with 50 that were related to woodworking (some loosely) and 6 that were unrelated to woodworking. Ironically, 2 of the 6 that were unrelated were started by you.

todd

Reply to
Todd Fatheree

Regardless of that he just made a public confession as to the errors of=20 his way and his willingness to move on. That should be enough -- unless=20 we find him guilty of recidivism -- or worse -- he offers to moderate...

Tom is right. We should be discussing things like -- oh say -- the best=20 way to stain cherry -- not the best way to hang political leaders. And=20 please -- nothing more on acetone...

So -- to celebrate this "new spirit" I will do a comparative study of=20 all my stains on a nice piece of cherry and post the results on a.b.p.w=20

- so we have something pleasant to talk about...

--=20 Will R. Jewel Boxes and Wood Art

power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those=20 who have not got it.=94 George Bernard Shaw

Reply to
WillR

The vast majority of threads in the last two months have been woodworking related, on-topic threads.

I think that if Tom had nothing to complain about, he'd likely complain about that...

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

Possibly.

But I cut Tom a little more slack than most folks.

When he complains, he does it with such panache and style.

This is a more classy joint with him as a member.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

I haven't been using Usenet as long as some, but I've been using it for 20 years. Off-topic posts are not a new phenomenon, and anyone who thinks the wreck is awash with them hasn't been around much.

todd

Reply to
Todd Fatheree

I must take issue with you there. I have never *started* one of those threads. But I do find it difficult to sit idly by, when fantasies and outright lies are put forward as "facts".

Thanks; that's mutual, BTW.

Well, you can't expect to agree with everyone you know. I do find it a bit odd, though, that you complained about several of us, by name, who post both on- and off-topic, but didn't even mention others who almost *never* post anything *except* in political threads.

Doug Miller

Dude, you're obviously living in the future past! ... surely you believe the reports that the wRECdorker's of yore, unlike the girly men who apparently frequent the place now, shaved with their jointer blades and poured shellac over walnut sawdust for breakfast??

Reply to
Swingman

That's because the percentage of idiots in this world will never change.

Reply to
Guess who

Agreed and even though I've been around here a short time I can see that his panache and style add a lot to this group.

Josie

Reply to
firstjois

NOOOO!!!!! For the love of god, NOT terminal 6!!!!!!

Heh, heh. Thanks.

Reply to
LRod

Glad you picked up on that I was going to make a post and decided it was =

best that a long time friend break the news to him -- that he screwed up =

again.

People are often offended when these corrections come from a recent=20 acquaintance.

Terminal six! ???%#$%$#*^??? Watta weenie!!! ROTFLMAO

Don't think I wanna touch that. :-)

It did provide some interesting diversion while working on a difficult=20 problem and I had my feet up thinking... So it wasn't wasted.

--=20 Will R. Jewel Boxes and Wood Art

power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those=20 who have not got it.=94 George Bernard Shaw

Reply to
WillR

Guess who wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

While the percentage of idiots with Usenet access seems to be trending upwards?

Reply to
Patriarch

snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote in news:11z_d.14912$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr31.news.prodigy.com:

I'm not complaining, mind you, but the excellent filtering technologies available (Thank you, sir) allow me to filter the unwanted politically oriented diatribes pretty easily.

But I really don't want to plonk the folks who often have something interesting to say, even when it's supposedly off-topic.

By the way, I've learned to do that in analog life, as well. When the conversation turned to openly gay public school teachers, and how to legislate regarding that activity, I quietly got up, went out to the shop, and put on the hearing protection, and cranked up the big iron.

I can't solve all the problems in the world. Darned few, actually.

Patriarch

Reply to
Patriarch

That's easy. You take the blood of the person wishing to stain the cherry (five liters - litres, Jeff - is generally adequate), thin it with 200 proof anhydrous denatured alcohol, mix it with a #1.5 cut of your favorite shellac and apply with a pad lubed with mineral oil.

On a somewhat related note, I had the opportunity to examine close to

200 solid cherry side chairs while rehearsing in the sanctuary of The Cathedral of Our Lady of the Angels, here in Los Angeles (that's Spanish for "The Angels," Will). I noticed that, while the finish on the cherry had a slight tint to it, there had been no attempt to stain all those chairs to match. What a refreshing change from the muddy, dull dreck that I generally encounter, posing as fine furniture. The subtle variances in color were not unlike the variations of the trees in the forest... as though it were a celebration of all the hues of cherry.

It was an unexpected pleasure, and I marveled at its beauty for quite a while; a cherry sanctuary.

O'Deen

Reply to
Odeen

Robatoy wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@nr-tor01.bellnexxia.net:

Does EVERY THREAD need to devolve into an electricity discussion?!!! ;-)

Reply to
Patriarch

Umm yeah..

Just remember the bell curve and the definition of a standard=20 distribution and recall that half the people are at and below the line=20 and half are at the "normal" line and above... (Not even trying to get=20 the formal definition correct here guys just flow with it for a minute...= )

It's why the "Jig-a-loo" (and swiffer) commercial succeeds. Not sure if=20 that is only in Canukistan that it runs...

Not sure if it would be acceptable to deny access to the other half --=20 not even sure which "side" has physical control anymore. So not even=20 sure what I mean by "the other half" now that I contemplate the situation= =2E

Selling to the "smart" people appeals to at best less than half the=20 audience. Selling to "the other half" lets you access (almost) all the=20 audience. (Despite any offense taken -- watching the ads that is...)

That explains why people buy and use things they don't understand --=20 plus a whole lot of other things... like advertising trends for consumer =

products... and what level they are written to...

And if you think about it you can extend it to "packaging trends" in=20 marketing... And current sales tactics in "big box appliance stores"...=20 No info cause the assume that most people are clueless... (And they are=20 probably right eh?)

Since the people using the internet are "a large sample set" -- guess wha= t?

******************** 20% of your customers bring you 80% of your profit etc... Likewise 20% of your customers bring you 80% of your grief...

etc.

Pareto's (sp?) law (80/20 rule) -- it could also describe a lot of=20 things that concern you -- but I suspect you already know that. LOL

Just some random loosely connected thoughts I guess... :-)

Just enjoy and laugh -- don't get offended.

Present company excepted on all examples as a professional courtesy.

Point being that if you let current trends offend and upset you you will= : a: Die sooner b. Die angry. c. Die frustrated d. (Fill the rest in)

and so on...