When Giants Walked the Wreck - and the proper use of Google

Page 1 of 5

Once upon a time there were giants.
You may not believe this but it is surely true.
They went by sobriquet such as Leach, Olquin, Radovanic, Duke of Urls, Bennett (including both B the Wise and B the Foolish), Uncle Jessie, Self, Bitchslap Bob, TurdBarge Al - and continue in a litany of fine madness.
They were the abstract geniuses of their time - but they are no more.
True, there are some smatterings of revelation from time to time - but the good old days are gone.
The all consuming swamp of Lurkdom has consumed most of them.
Absolute disinterest has taken the rest.
And there was so much to be learned.
Hearken ye, my children, and punch some of those names into a Google search - using the advanced search function, as Author's name, within the Groups category, within the specific parameter of rec.woodworking.
You will soon see how far we have fallen.
There was a Dark Age once in Western History. A time of indolent madness driven by the religiosity of madmen, leading to a stoppage of real thought.
But there was also a, "rose fingered dawn", there was a time of rebirth, regrouping, Renaissance.
As against the creeping Darkness of this Darkened Wreck, this age consumed by Miller, Hinz and Clarke - which sounds all to much like the bottom of a bad batting order - replace them in your thoughts with the Murderer's Row of Radovanic, Leach and Olguin (who is batting third here but whom I understand to be a damned fine cleanup hitter).
Look them up in Google. Look them up and say a coven's prayer, so as to raise them up in your minds.
For, some can indeed be raised up - and some might visit you with their wisdom.
There were giants once among us, strong and tall - I would see them back again.
Thomas J. Watson - WoodDorker

Ya know, Tom, nobody's forcing you to read the OT posts...
I sure do miss Tom Gauldin's humor, though.
On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 01:18:12 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

Well, we'll get to that in a moment.

As do I. And I also miss your good sense.
(I think that we are getting back to it now)
Doug - you are one of the prime movers of this political horseshit that is being visited upon the Wreck.
I have tremendous respect for you when you speak about wooddorking, but much less so when you turn off into the political lane.
For a brief period, in the months prior to the most recent Presidential Election, I visited that slippery path of political discourse - and I continue to regret it.
Where once I enjoyed the consanguinity of fellow wooddorkers, I found myself to be amazed and occasionally disgusted by their political views.
It was my fault. It is what is called a "category error" by logicians.
I introduced a modality of enquiry into a woodworking forum which truly belonged in another venue.
Upon realizing my error, I apologized, swore it off, and moved on.
Why haven't you?
Your argument that goes to others using filters or ignoring the political diatribes does not go to the point.
The point is - this is not a forum for political bombast.
You are a smart man. You should be able to figure this out.
Your co-conspirators should also be able to figure it out.
Asking me to ignore or filter you is like asking me to wear a gas mask in a bar, if I do not choose to smoke.
There are some bars that are interesting enough that i will choose to be there, regardless of the smoke - until I begin to cough.
You, and your brethren, have made me begin to cough.
Thomas J. Watson - WoodDorker

<snip>
I'd say it's more akin to knowing that there is a back room where smoking is allowed, then going back there on purpose and complaining about the smoke.

I just did an informal and impromptu study of the last several handfulls of threads posted to this group. Of the last 50-ish, I came up with 50 that were related to woodworking (some loosely) and 6 that were unrelated to woodworking. Ironically, 2 of the 6 that were unrelated were started by you.
todd
Todd Fatheree wrote:

Regardless of that he just made a public confession as to the errors of his way and his willingness to move on. That should be enough -- unless we find him guilty of recidivism -- or worse -- he offers to moderate...
Tom is right. We should be discussing things like -- oh say -- the best way to stain cherry -- not the best way to hang political leaders. And please -- nothing more on acetone...
So -- to celebrate this "new spirit" I will do a comparative study of all my stains on a nice piece of cherry and post the results on a.b.p.w - so we have something pleasant to talk about...
<ducks and runs>

NOOOO!!!!! For the love of god, NOT terminal 6!!!!!!

Heh, heh. Thanks.
--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite
LRod wrote:

Glad you picked up on that I was going to make a post and decided it was best that a long time friend break the news to him -- that he screwed up again.
People are often offended when these corrections come from a recent acquaintance.
Terminal six! ???%#$%$#*^??? Watta weenie!!! ROTFLMAO

Don't think I wanna touch that. :-)
It did provide some interesting diversion while working on a difficult problem and I had my feet up thinking... So it wasn't wasted.
On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 11:17:15 -0500, WillR

WIRING INSTRUCTIONS FOR COPY FILM ATTACHMENT ON ACCUDATA SINGLE LENS PRINTERS
Theory of operation: As the camera option is selected from the operation options screen the AC switched power (i.e. paper take-up motor) is turned off. This will allow a pulse to fire allowing the camera to advance the film. The camera needs a constant 120VAC to run the cam on the film advance. When the controller sends out a signal (120VAC) it will trigger the relay sending a confirmation signal back to the controller for confirmation. At the same time the relay is activated it also sends a 120VAC signal which turns on a relay in the camera sending a pulse to start the cam.
Supplies needed: 3PDT relay socket; 120VAC coil,; 3PDT relay; 6 18ga. blue wire; 6 18ga. brown wire; 2 male pins (amp part# 66098-7) (BDS #18710) and 1-3 pin brown AMP METRAMATE (amp part# 207360-1) (BDS# 18317) connector.
Wiring: Mount the 3PDT relay socket on the back wall of the printer. Locate the destination cable labeled "S", in the wiring harness this designated as the paper solenoid sense switch. Place the blue wire onto the terminal labeled "B" and the brown wire on terminal "A", this is the AC pulse from the controller. Next connect the white/red wire onto terminal 7 and the black onto terminal 4, this is the confirmation signal to tell the controller the camera advanced.
Locate J3 on the power distribution board, this located on the top right of the controller on the driver board side. Connect a blue wire to pin 2 and the brown wire to pin 3 of the 3 pin AMP METRAMATE. Make sure you take a male connector and pins since these are not supplied. Run the wires along the cable harness into the back of the printer. Connect the brown wire onto terminal 9. The blue wire will connect to the camera cable.
Locate the connector for the camera. Check to see if the connector is wired correctly 1-black, 2-white, 3-red or NC., 4-orange, 5-blue. The black and white supply a constant 120VAC and the blue and orange supply a 120VAC pulse. In the back of the printer connect the white and orange wires from the camera together and splice them to the blue wire from J3 on the controller. Connect the blue wire to terminal 6 on the 3PDT. Connect the black wire to terminal 9 on the 3PDT. Finally, tie the green wire to chassis ground.
The printer is now ready to go. Since the relay sends a confirmation signal to the controller the sensor does not need to be overridden.
snipped-for-privacy@all.costs wrote:
[snipperized]

ROTFLMAO
WillR wrote:

That's easy. You take the blood of the person wishing to stain the cherry (five liters - litres, Jeff - is generally adequate), thin it with 200 proof anhydrous denatured alcohol, mix it with a #1.5 cut of your favorite shellac and apply with a pad lubed with mineral oil.
On a somewhat related note, I had the opportunity to examine close to 200 solid cherry side chairs while rehearsing in the sanctuary of The Cathedral of Our Lady of the Angels, here in Los Angeles (that's Spanish for "The Angels," Will). I noticed that, while the finish on the cherry had a slight tint to it, there had been no attempt to stain all those chairs to match. What a refreshing change from the muddy, dull dreck that I generally encounter, posing as fine furniture. The subtle variances in color were not unlike the variations of the trees in the forest... as though it were a celebration of all the hues of cherry.
It was an unexpected pleasure, and I marveled at its beauty for quite a while; a cherry sanctuary.
O'Deen
Odeen wrote:

relax - I just went an hurriedly threw out all my stain OK!!!!!????

Odeen wrote:

Si senor. Muchas gracias. No hay problemas con parablas faciles.
" I noticed that, while the finish on

If I ever get back there I will look. Thank you for the thoughts. Sounds like a "bit of heaven" in more than one sense of the word. :-)

But, isn't 5 liters all you have? Ahhhh, nevermind. Yes.

There's a joke in there somewhere, maybe about "but you can only go in once", but damned if I'm gonna make it.

<... remainder snipped ...>
You left out acetone.
--

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland
On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 20:16:22 GMT, Lawrence Wasserman

That takes the stain right to a liver color, doesn't it?

"Up jumped the monkey from the cocoanut grove
He was a cool..."
Good to see you around here again, O'Deener.
Thomas J. Watson - WoodDorker

You were in a Convent?
Thomas J. Watson - WoodDorker
<snip of a good analogy>

Does EVERY THREAD need to devolve into an electricity discussion?!!! ;-)
Patriarch wrote:

Actually that was comedy -- get with the program. ROTFLMAO
NOT that he was wrong... Gotta be careful here.

Ohhh Ye of little faith!!! The Popiel PocketFisherman LIVES!!!!!