what wood do you prefer?

Page 1 of 2

In answering this question, think of nothing else other than the way it looks. I am not interested in anything else like price, or machineability, or anything else. Just the way it looks. I know a lot has to do with the particular style of a piece, or it's use, and many other factors. But if you were only allowed to build from one wood for the rest of your life, what "wood" it be?
I was wondering because often times I see things that people have made and SOMETIMES I think, "that would look so much better made out of ..." (fill in the blank). Of course I don't mean to denegrate anyone's work because I know that the person made it the way THEY wanted and they are proud of it (and rightfully so). And I know that people would think the same about some of my projects, and that is fine too.
Personally, I tend to like like Oak, Walnut, Cherry, Maple and even Poplar. I also tend to go with the plain-sawn look over the q-sawn. I would prefer a nice straight grained Maple over a birds-eye or quilted. Don't know why, just do. If I had to select one wood to build with, I think it would be Oak. No, Walnut. Wait, no Oak was right. Ooooo, what about Mahogany? No no no, definitely Cherry. Or Oak. Or Hickory. Or Cypress. Nope, gotta stick with Walnut. I got it, how about Wapleoakerry (WalnutmAPLEOAKchERRY). Anyone got any of that?
Well, It's a good thing we are not limited to a single wood.
Wayne
I'd have to stick with Oak.... Versatile, Strong and looks good in almost everything.

machineability,
what
in
some
Poplar.
prefer
why,
gotta
(WalnutmAPLEOAKchERRY).
VG Fir first, followed by maple. max

NoOne N Particular wrote:

As w/ most hypothetical questions there is no answer in that manner...the function of the piece dictates in many instances the proper characteristics of the selected wood. If you limit it to one specie only you also limit what you're able to build.
instrument grade quilted maple
if I had to pick one
seriously, walnut, cherry and mahogany are my favorites, with QS white oak close behind.

machineability,
what
in
some
Poplar.
prefer
why,
gotta
(WalnutmAPLEOAKchERRY).

---snip snip----->

I prefer wood that has been well used and discarded as trash. Hard wood finds are a treasure but other species are acceptable. Larry
--
Columbia, MO
www.llhote.com
If I could have only one wood it would have to be cherry. You just can't go wrong with cherry.
But my favorite wood is butternut; I just love it. However it is too soft and weak for a lot of applications.
For Joinery:
Douglas Fir
Or Pitch Pine.
For Furniture:
Ash
Or American Red Elm
--
Nicholas Buttle - Quality Joinery and Cabinet Making
http://www.nbjoinery.net
Nicholas Buttle - Quality Joinery and Cabinet Making
http://www.nbjoinery.net
"NoOne N Particular"

Build what? Houses - Douglas Fir. Furniture - Mahogany Cabinets - QS Oak Musical Instruments - Quilted Maple Jewelry Boxes - Birdseye Maple Pallets - Ask Larry L'Hote
Dave

Yes.
Walnut.
Yes. Or cherry.

Nice look, nice tone, but lacks projection. Still hard to beat rosewood for the reflecting surfaces, and spruce or fir for the resonating surfaces.

Anything goes. Something exotic.
Probably quilted spalted maple. Or figured koa. Or figured claro walnut. Birdseye maple maybe. There are others. I can't make up my mind--it changes from one day to the next.
So may woods! So little time!
--Steve
NoOne N Particular wrote:
> In answering this question, think of nothing else other than > the way it looks.
snipped-for-privacy@pacbell.net says...

I'm pretty fond of flame birch. And I like alder as a "refined" oak. Other than those and myrtlewood, I'd go with the standard cherry, walnut, and mahogany.
I definitely dislike oak.

Love Cherry but hate the price. I can't stand oak -- it's been way overdone and now I associate it with cheap furniture. Cherry is so expensive as it is in high demand -- maybe in 10 years I'll hate cherry as it will be overdone and associated with cheap furniture....
I like mahogany but some associate it with furniture from the 50's.
I associate maple with production furniture which has been sprayed with a quick tinted lacquer finish.
NoOne N Particular wrote:

it
machineability,
with the

But if

life, what

made and

(fill in

because I

of it

about some

Poplar.
prefer
know why,

be
Mahogany?
Nope, gotta

(WalnutmAPLEOAKchERRY).
I will settle for wood under $5 BF. I probably use less cherry for that reason, working with more oak and maple now, sometimes pine. I wil use more expensive wood for smaller projects. Recently I built some kitchen woodenware from some applewood.
Howdy!

Cherry. And I usually get it for under $3/BF...
If I had to settle for one species, that'd be it. I like to look and I like how it works and finishes.
I just don't like oak, especially red oak. Maple doesn't suck, nor do ash or persimmon. I'm not into exotics...
yours, Michael
snipped-for-privacy@radix.net | White Wolf and the Phoenix
Padauk!!
On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 20:20:08 GMT, "NoOne N Particular"

I love the look of hickory but would rather shoot a nail in my forehead than work with it.
Mike O.
On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 20:20:08 GMT, "NoOne N Particular"

If I just answer "maple" it can be stretched to include hard and soft, straight grain, birds-eye, quilted and fiddleback. I think that would give me pretty good coverage while sticking with just "one" wood.
Tim Douglass
http://www.DouglassClan.com