what wood do you prefer?

In answering this question, think of nothing else other than the way it looks. I am not interested in anything else like price, or machineability, or anything else. Just the way it looks. I know a lot has to do with the particular style of a piece, or it's use, and many other factors. But if you were only allowed to build from one wood for the rest of your life, what "wood" it be?

I was wondering because often times I see things that people have made and SOMETIMES I think, "that would look so much better made out of ..." (fill in the blank). Of course I don't mean to denegrate anyone's work because I know that the person made it the way THEY wanted and they are proud of it (and rightfully so). And I know that people would think the same about some of my projects, and that is fine too.

Personally, I tend to like like Oak, Walnut, Cherry, Maple and even Poplar. I also tend to go with the plain-sawn look over the q-sawn. I would prefer a nice straight grained Maple over a birds-eye or quilted. Don't know why, just do. If I had to select one wood to build with, I think it would be Oak. No, Walnut. Wait, no Oak was right. Ooooo, what about Mahogany? No no no, definitely Cherry. Or Oak. Or Hickory. Or Cypress. Nope, gotta stick with Walnut. I got it, how about Wapleoakerry (WalnutmAPLEOAKchERRY). Anyone got any of that?

Well, It's a good thing we are not limited to a single wood.

Wayne

Reply to
NoOne N Particular

I'd have to stick with Oak.... Versatile, Strong and looks good in almost everything.

machineability,

(WalnutmAPLEOAKchERRY).

Reply to
M-14

As w/ most hypothetical questions there is no answer in that manner...the function of the piece dictates in many instances the proper characteristics of the selected wood. If you limit it to one specie only you also limit what you're able to build.

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

instrument grade quilted maple

if I had to pick one

seriously, walnut, cherry and mahogany are my favorites, with QS white oak close behind.

machineability,

(WalnutmAPLEOAKchERRY).

Reply to
Mike in Mystic

I prefer wood that has been well used and discarded as trash. Hard wood finds are a treasure but other species are acceptable. Larry

Reply to
Lawrence L'Hote

If I could have only one wood it would have to be cherry. You just can't go wrong with cherry.

But my favorite wood is butternut; I just love it. However it is too soft and weak for a lot of applications.

Reply to
toller

For Joinery:

Douglas Fir

Or Pitch Pine.

For Furniture:

Ash

Or American Red Elm

Reply to
Nicholas

Mon, Mar 14, 2005, 8:20pm (EST+5) snipped-for-privacy@pacbell.net (NoOne=A0N=A0Particular) burbled: But if you were only allowed to build from one wood for the rest of your life, what "wood" it be?

Free.

JOAT Intellectual brilliance is no guarantee against being dead wrong.

- David Fasold

Reply to
J T

Sorry

Didn't answer the question correctly

It'd have to be Oak. Can do both joinery and furniture nicely.

Nicholas

Reply to
Nicholas

"NoOne N Particular"

Build what? Houses - Douglas Fir. Furniture - Mahogany Cabinets - QS Oak Musical Instruments - Quilted Maple Jewelry Boxes - Birdseye Maple Pallets - Ask Larry L'Hote

Dave

Teamcasa

Yes.

Walnut.

Yes. Or cherry.

Nice look, nice tone, but lacks projection. Still hard to beat rosewood for the reflecting surfaces, and spruce or fir for the resonating surfaces.

Anything goes. Something exotic.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Probably quilted spalted maple. Or figured koa. Or figured claro walnut. Birdseye maple maybe. There are others. I can't make up my mind--it changes from one day to the next.

So may woods! So little time!

--Steve

No > In answering this question, think of nothing else other than > the way it looks.

Reply to
Steve

I'm pretty fond of flame birch. And I like alder as a "refined" oak. Other than those and myrtlewood, I'd go with the standard cherry, walnut, and mahogany.

I definitely dislike oak.

Reply to
lgb

Love Cherry but hate the price. I can't stand oak -- it's been way overdone and now I associate it with cheap furniture. Cherry is so expensive as it is in high demand -- maybe in 10 years I'll hate cherry as it will be overdone and associated with cheap furniture....

I like mahogany but some associate it with furniture from the 50's.

I associate maple with production furniture which has been sprayed with a quick tinted lacquer finish.

No> In answering this question, think of nothing else other than the way it

machineability,

because I

Mahogany?

Nope, gotta

(WalnutmAPLEOAKchERRY).

Reply to
Jerry

VG Fir first, followed by maple. max

Reply to
max

I love the look of hickory but would rather shoot a nail in my forehead than work with it.

Mike O.

Reply to
Mike

If I just answer "maple" it can be stretched to include hard and soft, straight grain, birds-eye, quilted and fiddleback. I think that would give me pretty good coverage while sticking with just "one" wood.

Tim Douglass

Tim Douglass

"NoOne N Particular" wrote in news:YlmZd.18654$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr13.news.prodigy.com:

Were you the fellow who asked about the hamburger sandwich last week?

Reply to
Patriarch

machineability,

Well, for the purpose of " ooooaaaah " Widgee, followed by Gidgee. VERY beautiful for fine work, boxes, even made some filing trays out of it. Very very pretty wood and works well.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Richardson