What to Ask for Christmas?

SWMBO's side of the family is very practical. Instead of guessing about Christmas gifts, everybody makes up a Christmas wish list and then they circulate them. I'll get several items in the $30 - $50 range. I've been woodworking long enough that I already have all the basics that can be bought for that kind of money. And I've developed a taste for the "best" instead of the "good enough".

Now the question. What is your favorite tool that's less than $50? Mine is probably my Incra Rule. I use it almost every time I walk in the shop. Ideas anyone?

DonkeyHody "Even an old blind hog finds an acorn every now and then."

Reply to
DonkeyHody

A gift certificate for Lee Valley.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y

Put together a wish list at LV and make it public.

The veritas sliding bevel make be happy last christmas.

-Steve

Reply to
Stephen M

A gift I thought was cute but unnecessary but now use all the time is my dial caliper graduated in fractions of an inch. I've used a vernier caliper in thousandths for about forty years and thought the other more of a gimmick. Couldn't part with it now.

rhg

Stephen M wrote:

Reply to
Robert Galloway

I also have one of those and totally agree.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y

I'm registered at Harbor Fright. :-) jo4hn

Reply to
jo4hn

Reply to
Keith

I don't know what brand it is, but it came from Lee Valley. I think it was about $30.

Reply to
B a r r y

The Mk.II honing guide is at the top of my LV wishlist, which I will soon be distributing to both sides of the family. Other things I'm asking for include more clamps (of course), a few books, drum sander, maybe router bits, etc. I'm kind of thinking about the Infinitytools rabbet combo router bit kit, with 1" cutting height. As far as favorite tools I currently own, I also really like my dial caliper (Mitutoyo), but it'd save time if it were in fraction instead of decimal - as it is, I keep a conversion chart handy. Another useful gadget (for woodworking and everything else) is a dremmel-type rotary tool with a bunch of accessories. One final thing I'm always happy about is a really nice, comfortable pair of safety glasses that aren't all scratched up - but SWMBO gets those (even the nice ones) free from work. One of my favorite gifts that's totally unrelated to woodworking is a Gore-tex rain hat (OR Seattle Sombrero) - if you spend much time outside where it rains, it's wonderful. You can hear and see, unlike a raincoat hood, you don't have to carry an umbrella, and your neck still stays dry. Spiffy. Merry Christmas, Andy

Reply to
Andy

Is that sort of like registering at Walmart? :)

dave

Reply to
David

I agree with another poster. The MKII honing guide from Lee Valley.

Dave

Reply to
David

Look for one with the fractions on the outer ring instead of the inner ring. I think mine came from Highland Hardware.

Tom Dacon

Reply to
Tom Dacon

Thanks for the great suggestions. I have the dial caliper and the honing guide. They are both nice tools.

One other item I got recently that I really like is the opti-muff. It combines ear muffs and safety glasses. Sounds like a gimmick, but you know how the regular muffs press the eyeglass temples into your, well temples? These are comfortable for hours. And they go on and off together, so I don't have to search for 2 items of safety equipment.

DonkeyHody "If ignorance is bliss, why aren't more people happy?"

Reply to
DonkeyHody

Don't see a brand on the instrument but the kids got it at Highland Hardware.

bob g.

Keith wrote:

Reply to
Robert Galloway

You said a mouthful. I'd be lost without my trusty vernier calipers. (The dial ones are for sissies..lol)

Reply to
Robatoy

Why is that so funny?

Reply to
Robatoy

Don't all of you just wait, dive in....

Reply to
George

If the dial makes you a sissy, what does the digital readout make you? A guy on my street owns one of them.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

That's probably rhetorical but I'll answer anway.

Did you ever see the move "The Jerk"? Steve Martin plays the lead character. The opening line is:

"I was born a poor black child". His fortune was made (and lost) on an invention call the "opti-grab", a holding point soldered to the bridge of one's glasses.

Then again, any sideways reference that sounds female anatomy makes us boys giggle.

Cheers,

Steve

Reply to
Stephen M

....with eyes wide open.

A buddy of mine was doing a bit of diving once and put his Timex to good use. Just slightly north of the intended target was a small marking of some sort, but he wasn't able to make out what it was given the low light conditions. Thinking quickly, he pressed his trusty Indiglo button and was able to make out the following message.... "Lucky You"

JP

Reply to
Jay Pique