What to Ask for Christmas?

Page 1 of 2

SWMBO's side of the family is very practical. Instead of guessing about Christmas gifts, everybody makes up a Christmas wish list and then they circulate them. I'll get several items in the $30 - $50 range. I've been woodworking long enough that I already have all the basics that can be bought for that kind of money. And I've developed a taste for the "best" instead of the "good enough".
Now the question. What is your favorite tool that's less than $50? Mine is probably my Incra Rule. I use it almost every time I walk in the shop. Ideas anyone?
DonkeyHody "Even an old blind hog finds an acorn every now and then."
DonkeyHody wrote:

A gift certificate for Lee Valley.
Barry
Put together a wish list at LV and make it public.
The veritas sliding bevel make be happy last christmas.
-Steve

A gift I thought was cute but unnecessary but now use all the time is my dial caliper graduated in fractions of an inch. I've used a vernier caliper in thousandths for about forty years and thought the other more of a gimmick. Couldn't part with it now.
rhg
Stephen M wrote:

Robert Galloway wrote:

I also have one of those and totally agree.
Barry
I have been thinking about getting one with fractions instead of decimal. What brand do you have?

Keith wrote:

I don't know what brand it is, but it came from Lee Valley. I think it was about $30.
The Mk.II honing guide is at the top of my LV wishlist, which I will soon be distributing to both sides of the family. Other things I'm asking for include more clamps (of course), a few books, drum sander, maybe router bits, etc. I'm kind of thinking about the Infinitytools rabbet combo router bit kit, with 1" cutting height. As far as favorite tools I currently own, I also really like my dial caliper (Mitutoyo), but it'd save time if it were in fraction instead of decimal - as it is, I keep a conversion chart handy. Another useful gadget (for woodworking and everything else) is a dremmel-type rotary tool with a bunch of accessories. One final thing I'm always happy about is a really nice, comfortable pair of safety glasses that aren't all scratched up - but SWMBO gets those (even the nice ones) free from work. One of my favorite gifts that's totally unrelated to woodworking is a Gore-tex rain hat (OR Seattle Sombrero) - if you spend much time outside where it rains, it's wonderful. You can hear and see, unlike a raincoat hood, you don't have to carry an umbrella, and your neck still stays dry. Spiffy. Merry Christmas, Andy

Look for one with the fractions on the outer ring instead of the inner ring. I think mine came from Highland Hardware.
Tom Dacon
Don't see a brand on the instrument but the kids got it at Highland Hardware.
bob g.
Keith wrote:

You said a mouthful. I'd be lost without my trusty vernier calipers. (The dial ones are for sissies..lol)

If the dial makes you a sissy, what does the digital readout make you? A guy on my street owns one of them.
On Tue, 08 Nov 2005 11:33:06 +0000, Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

I own all three. 0-6 digtal. 0-12 dial. 0-24 vernier. The vernier make you think just a moment longer ... and that's not such a bad thing.
Bill
DonkeyHody wrote:

    :-)     jo4hn
jo4hn wrote:

dave
DonkeyHody wrote:

Dave
David wrote:

Yabbet, wait... why is that nice? After your blades are sharp, spiffing up the edge takes all of 20 seconds or so... and no fussing with contraptions.
er
Thanks for the great suggestions. I have the dial caliper and the honing guide. They are both nice tools.
One other item I got recently that I really like is the opti-muff. It combines ear muffs and safety glasses. Sounds like a gimmick, but you know how the regular muffs press the eyeglass temples into your, well temples? These are comfortable for hours. And they go on and off together, so I don't have to search for 2 items of safety equipment.
DonkeyHody "If ignorance is bliss, why aren't more people happy?"

Why is that so funny?

Don't all of you just wait, dive in....