Vista question

Page 2 of 3

It's up to you. But I once timed google groups, and it took me TEN TIMES LONGER to read the same amount of articles than with a dedicated news reader.

I don't see how that could be, but then again I don;t know how you were using either or what your interests were.
--
FF

How quickly can you read 10 new postings in 10 new threads? By this I mean the first 30 lines of each posting? Or - (as it's the same to me) to read just the 30 new postings that occured that day?
Don't count replying. Don't count taking notes, or postings that require thought. Think about as if the article contains information that when you look at it, you have no interest in, but you don't know until you read the first few lines.

I don't see the relevance of the question. I don't display any lines in any articles unless the subject of the thread looks interesting.

If the subject line doesn't look to be interesting I don't display the first few lines, much less the whole thread.
When I do display a thread, that I have already partially read, I sort it by date and then quickly scroll down to the new articles.
--
FF

So assume the subject does look interesting.
The subject line for this thread has nothing to do with the topic.

And how long does that take you each time you do it? You have to click on the subject line. Click on the Sort-By-Date, and scroll/click to the one you want to read.
And then click back to the index of threads, so you can do the next one.

Well that's the same with any newsreader too, right?

That is done so fast I can't conveniently time it. Let's say one second.
I actually open each thread that looks interesting in it's own tab, before reading any. So it may take 5 seconds or so to open 10 threads in ten tabs.

It takes about a second or so to get the sorted list, and then how long it takes to get to the articles depends on the length of the thread. It can be cumbersome for threads with more than a hundred articles, but if I log in there is also a 'new' that goes directly to the first unread article in the thread.

I close the tab and go to the next tab.
I also so an 'ego search' to go directly to those articles that quote mine.
By comparison, newsreaders I have used are slow and kludgy. I may have had slow newsfeeds.
But hey, if you like how your newsreaders works, great! Some people don't like pine, some people do.
--
FF

Yes. Which is why I made this point. I didn't want to include the case where the subject line is used to skip over the article. I have killfiles that automatically skip over some topics. It takes me zero time to do this, and I did not want to include this in the comparison of a newsrerader vs. googlegroups.

I timed it and it took up to 1-2 seconds to render some of the pages on a cable modem. If I clicked the sort-by-date, it also takes another 1-2 seconds to refresh. Add the open/close tab and scrolling, and it looks like it can be 5 seconds for the eye to locate the beginning of each new article.
The use of "parallel tabs" is a good idea. I didn't have that option when I times it. I can see that helps speed things up. Thanks for sharing it. It makes some of the render time overlap, but you still need the sort-by-date, and need to close and open the tabs.
But according to these numbers, looking at 10 new articles will take about 25-50 seconds.

Could be.
I can read/skim 10 new articles in about 5 seconds. I don't use a mouse. The news reader loads the first new article, and displays the first 20-30 lines (I use a large font - old eyes). I press "n" and it goes to the next new article. If I want to scroll down, and read the entire article, I press " " instead. So if I see 10 articles that don't look interesting, I can skip over them fast - and still see each new article.
Studying, thinking, archiving, replying, killfileing, etc. take longer of course. But just skimming articles is very fast.

The lack of a decent kill file is a huge drawback to google groups. No doubt about that.
--
FF

PDQ wrote:

Vista comes with "Windows Mail", which is for just about all practical purposes "Outlook Express" with a different label. If you check my headers you'll find "X-Newsreader: Microsoft Windows Mail 6.0.6000.16480" which I'm using from Vista. Even works with OE-Quotefix.
Windows Live is a service, not a client.
Personally I'm using Outlook (not Express) for a mail client but that's because I run an Exchange server to get centralized filtering.

--John

Most of what I have seen seemed to tell me that OE was dying too and I am not a real lover of "Hotmail".
It is nice to know that MSN has seen fit to keep OE viable even if under another name.
Thanks for the update
P D Q
"PDQ" wrote in message.
"J. Clarke" wrote in message

Unfortunately, he's totally wrong. "Windows Live Mail" is indeed a desktop mail "CLIENT" and is MSFT's latest replacement for Outlook Express and can be run on both Vista and Windows XP/SP2
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID 346005-45F6-4D14-A7DC-51E13D11A950&displaylang=en
"Windows Mail" is more or less the crippled mail client that ships with Vista only.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/14/07

Uh-oh.

Mail reading software is designed to read mail. Same goes for USENET/NNTP readers.

does both binaries and text. Maybe there is a bit of a learning curve, but I tried several other readers (not all by far), and Xnews is it for me.
also see news:news.software.readers
--
Best regards
Han
"SHOPDOG" wrote in message

You can add newsgroup accounts to "Windows Mail" from the top menu bar by simply clicking on TOOL|ACCOUNTS|ADD| and choosing "Newsgroup Account", then entering your server and login information.
With Vista, you might want to go with "Windows Live Mail", which is more like (almost) Outlook Express than "Windows' Mail", although both appear to be designed by the dumbshit generation that thinks whiz/bang/flash is more important than basic functionality.
FWIW, I'm not a Vista basher, have been running it on my laptop for about a year, and thoroughly enjoy the OS, its security benefits, and its basic Internet functionality...
... however, that does not in any way excuse the fact that MSFT, which always based its hiring practices on "youth", did not take into account the increasing lack of maturity of the subsequent programmer generation.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/14/07

I visit the Microsoft campus every year for the past 3 or 4 years. I always find it somewhat interesting that most of the staff is young enough to be my children. And I am not all that old. Indeed that youth does affect things as simple as using a 6 point font for licenses (need to get reading glasses or magnifying glass) to things like not understanding how the real world works. They do have some people there of my generation (tail end of boomers) some are great, some are just MS youth that grew old.
"Jim Behning" wrote

First, and only, visit to MSFT was in 1994, which was notable, in retrospect, for the response to _every_ query being the apparent buzz word of their culture:
"Absolutely!"
AAMOF, at one point we counted the number of "Absolutely's" uttered by all the Microsofties involved in a presentation ... it was worse than involuntarily focusing in on the "you know's" of modern speech.

Priceless! :)
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/14/07

"far out!" They would count how many times he uttered that phrase during the times he hosted the show. I don't remember the number, but it was far beyond what any normal human being needed to use during any kind of rational, intelligent conversation.
"Lee Michaels" wrote

I have a dear musician friend who delivered the eulogy for her deceased musician brother, also a dear friend.
Another studio owner/musician friend and I teamed up to record the entire service because of the three hundred musicians who showed up to perform a song my wife wrote called "Let Him Go Gently" (She later recorded the song for an album with Ray Wiley Hubbard, and they latter sang it at Townes Van Zandt's funeral at the request of the family).
Point is, I was to do the editing for a master tape of the service. I deleted over 200 "you knows" from a 20 minute eulogy, BEFORE the advent of digital editing, using a razor blade and splicing block!
I don't think the poor girl is even aware of that fact to this day.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/14/07

You removed 1/3 or the eulogy? ;~)