Setting up an aerial

As my TV is rapidly filling up with digital channels (won't go into too much detail of naked Women Wrestling - which appeared on the new free Men & Motors channel)
I want to set up my aerial so that I am getting maximum signal strength ... I can't lug the TV up to where the aerial is, so apart from just adjusting and go take a look, is there any meter or similar that can be used to set up the aerial so that I get it at optimum setting ?
I assume that TV installers must have some gizmo that does this ?
Second question then, if they do exist and presuming they are expensive can they be home made ??
Rick
Rick Hughes wrote:

Same way i did my sky+ 1 mate (free or a couple of stella's) 2x walkie talkies (15 maplins er-al)
--
daZza...........

darren@"BUTPLUG"thekellyhouse.plus.com

Its supposed to be done on a signal analyser, but not that many "aerial riggers" have them. A lot, and too many at that, just copy where next doors aerial is pointing, and leave it like that!.
As the above poster sez, a couple of PMR446 radios and the tuning indicator on your TV will be better than guesswork.
Though I'd advise leaving the Stele's until afterwards;))....
--
Tony Sayer

tony sayer wrote:

... or your mate might fall off the roof :-)
Is Men & Motors on freeview??

Yes, as from 2 May 2005 but as Freeview only has a limited number of slots it may be replaced with something else within the year.
--
Alan

There's still quite a few free slots.
--
*The statement above is false

Where? The quality of some of the Freeview offerings is already suffering badly from low bit rate transmissions.
--
Alan

Yup - Ch 38
mike

Yup - watched an episode of the Professionals yesterday. Brody and Doil driving a Dolomite Sprint. 'Sir' in a MKI SD1.
Dreadful dubbing. ;-)
--
*Acupuncture is a jab well done.*

On Thu, 5 May 2005 20:06:40 +0000 (UTC), "Rick Hughes"

Signal strength isn't the only criterion. Although a sig strength meter will show you the strongest signal, you have to take into account things like ghosting (especially if you're using analogue).
As others have suggested, somebody "down below" watching the "real-life" telly (and comparing the different channels) is much better than using any signal-strength meter displaying reception in dBuV - as it happens, it's recommended that good signal strength is between 60 and 70 dBuV (1-3 mV), but most modern(ish) TVs will happily work down to 54 dBuV.
The important thing, remember, is multi-path (ghosting) which can't easily be measured on a meter!
If you do measure a digital signal, remember that when the analogue signals are turned off in 20?? the digi transmissions can and almost certainly will be turned up.
--
Frank Erskine

Frank Erskine wrote:

Woolworths were doing a 5 inch b/w telly for 9:99 recently. Worth getting one and taking it up the ladder with you to assess the ghosting.
--
Mark
Please replace invalid and invalid with gmx and net to reply
Frank Erskine wrote:

Since its digital, the picture quality is either rock solid, or utter crap.
Its actually possibly easier to use an analog telly to get best reception first, as weak signals (Ch5 here is way down on power) are ideal for optimising reception, and then substitute the freeview.
Then plug freeview in and check its all OK.

crap.
Not as simple in my case (or so it seems to me)
I have rock solid signal on all channels and quality shows as 10 .... on except on channels 11 & 12 which were perfect, but now unwatchable, picture & sounds breaking up completely .... Analogue picture seems fine on 1,2,3,4 & 5
Which is asod as the History channel is one of the better Freeview offerings.
Rick
rick snipped-for-privacy@btconnect.com wrote:

What transmitter do you use, and where roughly do you live ?
--
Mark
Please replace invalid and invalid with gmx and net to reply

Rick's near Swansea IIRC. If he's looking at Kilvey Hill then he's looking at a really low powered transmitter which seems to have problems all over Swansea. If Rick's somehow managing to see Wenvoe (Cardiff) then it's a very long way away, though quite honestly from some parts of the area it's a much better bet. AFAIK these are the only two transmitters in the area which have digital on them.
Details of aerial set up might be useful too.
Hwyl!
M.
Mark Carver wrote:

Either one channel has goine low power or you have horrendous multipath.
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Or the one or more of the analogue channels (which at Kilvey Hill are adjacent to the DTT muxes) is too strong and corrupting reception of that mux. A common problem with many 1st generation DTT boxes.
--
Mark

Possibly only true if both analogue and digital are in the same frequency group.
Some digital boxes have a fairly comprehensive channel reporting mechanism for helping setting-up. If you can beg, borrow or steal one of the older Setrpal based boxes you will find that they display, on a single screen, all the MUXs, transmitter information, signal strengths, channel numbers and signal to noise figures. If you are receiving from more than one transmitter it will show that information on the same screen.
--
Alan

much
up
can
First off, can you see the transmitter? I can see my terrestrial tv transmitter,it's about 10 miles away, so it could be aligned by eye. Second, make sure you have the polarisation of the aerial correct, vertical or horizontal.
Andy.