Cost of putting up TV aerial?

My mother in law lives in Suffolk, on her own (she's 90). With the digital changeover soon, she's going to need a new TV aerial (at present has has only a set top one, which is frankly not good).
I could put one in the loft, but I don't do roofs.
So, does anyone have any idea how much it would cost to have a new aerial supplied, fitted on roof, and feeder run to the living room?
The house is a 1960s end of terrace 3 bedroom council house.
Thanks
--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Is she not old enough to get it done for free under the changeover scheme?
http://www.digitaluk.co.uk /
http://www.helpscheme.co.uk /
--
geoff

On Sun, 20 Feb 2011 21:22:22 +0000, geoff wrote:

Thanks, Geoff. Didn't know about that. She has a load of papers, but nothing about that. We'll sort that out via the website.
--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Pure guess, these days I'd say 200.
brass monkey wrote:

Had one done the other day for 200 including pole and masthead amp.
--
Murphy's ultimate law is that if something that could go wrong doesn't,
it turns out that it would have been better if it had gone wrong.

That's not bad. I paid 120 for a really crap 10 aerial just before xmas.
On 20/02/2011 21:07, Bob Eager wrote:

Ask in uk.tech.digital-tv One of the main posters there is Bill Wright, who does it for a living (but not in your m-i-l's area).
--
Cheers,
Roger
On Sun, 20 Feb 2011 21:35:42 +0000, Roger Mills wrote:

He also helped set up this site:
www.paras.org
Have a read before you shell out. Chances are if the set top aerial delivers a picture now, it'll handle the digital just fine.

If she can get any sginal at all on a set top aerial, you'll likely find a good loft aerial & amplifier is sufficient.
NT

I agree, fwiw. A good "digital aerial" (as the bloke who sold me mine, a few weeks ago, described it) costs 30; plus you need a few meters of good cable: definitely worth a go at DIY, in the loft, if she's getting a signal off the set-top at the moment.
John
In message

http://www.wrightsaerials.tv/articles/whatsat-201007.pdf http://www.wrightsaerials.tv/articles/coax-cable-quality.shtml
--
Alan
news2009 admac myzen co uk
On 20/02/2011 21:07, Bob Eager wrote:

If its a straight forward install (bog standard aerial and down lead, no amps / splitters required etc) then anything from £160 - £250 probably.
--
Cheers,

John.

On 21/02/2011 01:42, John Rumm wrote:

If she uses the help scheme the £40 flat fee includes an aerial upgrade, where required to receive the PSB muxes, at no additional cost.
--
Andy

On Mon, 21 Feb 2011 07:50:03 +0000, Andy Wade wrote:

Thanks. Just jhope that includes an upgrade from a set top to a rooftop if necessary!
--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org
On 21/02/2011 07:51, Bob Eager wrote:

The guide book says "fitting a new dish or aerial, where we can, if it is needed to make the new equipment work." It doesn't run to upgrading signal distribution systems in care homes though :~)
http://www.helpscheme.co.uk/files/helpscheme/downloads/english/COSSBK%20V8%2011-10.pdf
--
Andy

Bob Eager wrote:

If she is high up loft is actually a possibility.
I am and it works for me within about 10 miles of Sudbury..
No idea about typical cowboy roof installer - i'd guess at £150-£250 - the aerials are cheap, its the labour.

Works fine here - but then we're not far from The Wrekin - though I didn't know that at the time I put the aerial up. It was murky weather for a couple of weeks after we moved until one day it cleared and we saw that we have a fine view of the hill and the transmitter from our kitchen.
I did wonder why I'd had to fit an attenuator to get the telly to work properly!

Suffolk is a bit of a generalisation!
Presumably, from the use of a set top aerial, she is close to a transmitter - but which one?
It isn't just price you need to worry about, it is finding someone who isn't a cowboy to do it.
We visited some of my wife's friends in Southwold last year. While we were there, I noticed a lot of new/newish installations which had obviously been done by the same firm/person. No cheap contract aerials, no plastic bird food aerials [1] and very neatly done with masts and fixings which won't buckle in the first gale!
All in all, I got the impression that the work had been done by somebody who took a pride in his work and didn't skimp on materials (as most of the cost is labour, as others have said, that is a very important point!)
If she is anywhere near the Southwold area, I might be able to trace this firm/person if it would help.
If you are not sure which transmitter she is using, you may find this site useful:
http://www.macfh.co.uk/JavaJive/AudioVisualTV/TerrestrialTV/TerrestrialCalculator.php
and it would be helpful to give her PostCode in any further posts (there's no need to provide the full PostCode - the first part should suffice for urban areas but may need more of the code in rural areas where PostCodes tend to cover much larger areas.)
[1] Aerials with lots of plastic bits which some birds take great delight in pecking to pieces!
--

Terry

Even in London just the first part of the post code could mislead terribly. There are such things as tower blocks which cast long shadows. And even some hills.
IMLE there are even some hills in Suffolk which can militate for a longer mast.
--
Robin
PM may be sent to rbw0hotmailcom

Agreed - but many people are reluctant to give their full PostCode these days. I don't know why, particularly when they post under a pseudonym as, when discussing a subject like this, accuracy can be important.
The funny thing is that, as maps show the centre of the PostCode area - which may well be a field or park, even in London, the chances of revealing their precise location (which, presumably, is what they want to hide) is pretty much unlikely.
My own full PostCode covers a row of nearly 30 houses. The terrain is level, broadside onto the local transmitter and there are no tower blocks or tall trees, so it doesn't make any difference which precise point you choose.
However, in an identical geographical area, half the houses might be on one side of a hill and the the remainder on the other side. The precise location could then determine the choice of transmitter or, if there is only one, just how easy or difficult it would be to receive a decent signal.
So, even a full PostCode doesn't tell the whole story: we have to rely on the common sense of posters to provide the other important imformation that only their eyes can provide ...

But the current use of a set top aerial suggest that no hills are involved in the current scenario ...
As for hills, a quick glance at spot heights on the OS map suggests that a heath, at 64 metres aod, is pretty much what passes for 'high' in Suffolk ...
http://tx.mb21.co.uk/gallery/mendlesham/index.php
--

Terry