Cost of putting up TV aerial?

The highest bit of Suffolk according to our Terrain database is at 136 MAOD and is to be found near Rookery Farm just near the delightfully named hamlet of Genesis Green!. This mast which is one of the old BT microwave link sites is there, so called Wickhambrook I believe as it was connected to some exchange equipment in Wickhambrook village!.
http://tx.mb21.co.uk/gallery/wickhambrook.php
This marks it there, but there is a mound which is off the South East corner of that site which is the highest bit!..
As Terry sez its not much help without knowing where the receiver is located at all. If current reception is Almost OK then a loft installed aerial I would expect will perform better and it may well be that the serving TX is the Sudbury one, 'tho there are bits of that area, id Suffolk, where Tacolneston comes in that bit better and in some ways is less bother ...
--
Tony Sayer

tony sayer wrote:

Well actually Tony, I thought the higher point was at Depden, where that other mast is.. ..But as you know, I am less than half a moe from that tower..and if I go back to the bathroom, can see it striding like some red lit Wellsian Martian across the fields..its coming to get me, I tell you!
Oddly enough, one side of the high groud here, militates the use of Sandy Heath, or sometimes Tacolneston, whereas sudbury is the place to go once over the top. I can in theory receive both, or even al three, but I decided to go for Sudbury as being closer.

its really down to a boring day op trying the ruddy lot out.
Or as the riggers seem to do, simply pointing it roughly the same way everyone else in the street does...

Thats lower, the next highest bit is around a smidgen West of Rede village!..

Well if it does start movin around I suspect Mr P Pikey is on the go;!...

Fringe area for all of them...

Thats the usual experience..
--
Tony Sayer

Terry Casey wrote:

We are almost 100m ASL here. Nearly the highest point in Suffolk. Suffolk is boulder Clay cut by river valleys,. and a lot of people live in them.
Reception is not great there.
It's better on the coastal estuaries like Ipswich.
<snip>
Now VM have restored connection I can belatedly say I accept all those good points.
<snip>

Yes thanks. I should probably have referred to cuts or banks rather than hills.
--
Robin
PM may be sent to rbw0hotmailcom

107 +/- 1 M.A.O.D. for you Guv;!..

It's not a bad area really as witness the lack of relay stations.
Now the Welsh valley's are where thats at;!..

Where continental co-channel interference rules for a bit of the year;!...
--
Tony Sayer

I remember putting a TV aerial on to of Marks and Sparks in Hammersmith - very odd reception 'cos of the flyover. IIRC there was a tiny little infill station bolted to the side of the flyover itself.

Wonder if that might have been a self help one? The only ones I know of in that area is the relay at Worlds end which is a more grand affair tho it was relocated from somewhere nearby if my memory serves well!..
--
Tony Sayer

This was twenty-five years ago. Things may have changed since then.
<later> Well, it's listed here... http://www.ofcom.org.uk/static/reception_advice/regions/view_transmitter s.asp-itv_region_id=3.html
Located at TQ232786

Yes your quite right.. Can't think of why I didna look that up;!..
Certainly moved off the flyover gone up in the world so it seems..
http://tx.mb21.co.uk/gallery/hammersmith.php
--
Tony Sayer

Well, it being on the flyover was only recollection.
What I do remember was the bloke I was working with falling off the lift tower. Very thick snow that day and he landed like Wile-E Coyote spreadeagled on his back. I couldn't see him from where I was and thought he'd gone over the edge down a very much deeper drop of several storeys. Bit of a worrying moment, there, until he emerged like a yeti.
I suppose this ties in nicely with several other current threads about falling off things.

On Mon, 21 Feb 2011 13:14:50 +0000, Terry Casey wrote:

I was describing the region for price purposes (e.g. as popposed to London), rather than for signal strength purposes or to ask for a particular installer.

Sudbury.
Agreed. But this was the starting point...

Probably too far away.
I know which transmitter - Sudbury! But the signal is weak - she's just the wrong side of a hill.
--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

If it sort of works on analogue with a set top aerial, the chances are digital will be fine with a loft mounted one. Especially since the transmitted power will increase when analogue is switched off.
--
*Save a tree, eat a beaver*

dipped his quill in the best Quink that money could buy:

We have just been quoted 140 for an areial and a point in the house. N. Yorkshire
Mike P the 1st