Laptop question

  When you're not using your laptop comp for an extended period , do you leave it plugged in to the power or unplugged ? I got one intending to use it out in the shop , which ain't happening because I don't spend much time out there right now , so it sits unused most of the time . I'm wondering which option is best for long battery life - I generally boot it up for updates/etc every week or so .
Reply to
Terry Coombs

Hi Terry,

I would leave it unplugged and off as their batteries are know to catch fire when charging.

Turn your computer off first though.

If you are running Windows Nein, oops, Windows 10, disable Fast Boot and reboot to make sure your laptop is actually off.

-T

I leave mine plugged in mostly because I'm lazy.

Reply to
rbowman

Many laptops have a trickle charging system that will stop charging when it reaches capacity and charge again when it reaches a certain point.

Though, if it's a unit that's not being used often, I would also unplug it. My laptop is my main desktop and I keep it on all the time with a restart once a week.

Reply to
Hawk

I come across laptops all the time with fully discharged batteries and/or batteries that are just dead. Plug in the charger and away you go.

A fully discharged battery give the BIOS a good reboot too. On my office desktop/server, after I power off, I flick the power off on my outlet strip too.

Do NOT keep it plugged in for best battery life. One suggestion I have given others is to put it on a timer and charge it for an hour or less once a week if you are worried about the battery going flat. That was for the older nickel batteries. The lithium batteries are a lot better at holding a charge - so mabee 5 minuted a week.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

  This is why I ask , I've had batteries go bad while on charge for extended periods - but those were older comps too so ... I guess plugging it in weekly while I do updates and stuff should be enough .
Reply to
Terry Coombs

If the battery is removable, pull it...then just leave the laptop plugged in.

Reply to
Wade Garrett

You can look up how to extend life of various batteries. I read the lithium ones do not benefit from deep discharge like NiMH do.

I plug my laptop in when in use as screen is brighter but unplug when not in use.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

My experience with Li-ion batteries (the vast majority nowadays) is that if they are cooled much below freezing and then connected to a power drain, they will be immediately damaged permanently.

So yes, pull the battery and keep it in your house, not the garage.

Reply to
Mike_Duffy

Correct.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

"damaged permanently" is not EXACTLY true - but a close description. The battery management circuitry is designed to permantly disconnect cells from the load if the voltage drops below a particular threshold (where cell reversal can happen?) and when too cold the cells can not produce enough power to keep the voltage above that threshold under load. The cells themselves are not damaged - as I have proven in the past be dissassembling the battery and charging the cells DIRECTLY - bypassing the battery management or battery protection module. When the battery (cell)is fully charged some battery management modules revert to functional - some do not - but the cell itself is GENERALLY not harmed.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

   Can't do that , the battery must be in place for the comp to [ower up . I guess it's a Lenovo thing , my old Dells and Toshiba's all worked while plugged in with or without the batteries .
Reply to
Terry Coombs

My Toshiba (help files) told the story. Once a laptop is fully charged, unplug it. To keep it plugged in just wears out the battery.

Next time you use it, if battery is low, plug it in while you use it.

My Toshiba laptop battery is so dead. On a full charge it will power out even before boot up is finished. But just plugging it in, it will work fine.

Never any need to remove a battery. If it loses power, just plug in while you use it then unplug it until next time.

Again though, with a good battery - once it reaches full charge, unplug it for longest battery life.

Reply to
Gary

And then discharging it, then recharging it, doesn't? I thought the number of cycles was the primary limiting factor. Not to mention that to have to use it like that would be a pain in the ass.

If we followed your protocol, there sure would be. If I come home, battery is partly discharged, I plug it in. I guess I'm supposed to check every hour to see if it's charged so I can disconnect it? Say I come back two hours later, it's charged, now I want to use the PC, keep it powered on for the rest of the day. What do I do if I don't take the battery out? If I leave it on for 6 more hours with the battery in, it's continuing to charge it.

If it loses power, just

I find it hard to believe that in 2019 PCs that have billions of transistors and all kinds of software, don't have the means built in to charge a simple battery correctly. I mean companies like SmartTender make little $25 battery chargers with some limited electronics that can charge a battery and then keep it charged without ruining it, but a $500 laptop can't? I mean how hard is it for a 50 cent IC to monitor the charging and if the battery is fully charged, stop charging it?

Reply to
trader_4