Laptop Powered From Car Cigarette socket

Hi,

What is the best way to power a laptop from a car ciggy lighter socket. The transformer for the laptop outputs 19volts, 3.16 amps.

What about powering a desktop printer. Is this possible or do i need a generator.

Thanks

Mark

Reply to
Mark Trueman

Maplin do a couple of laptop power supply car adaptors:

What about powering a desktop printer. Is this possible or do i need a > generator.

Pass.

Reply to
Phil Anthropist

12VDC to 240 Volt AC Power Invertor?
Reply to
Phil Anthropist

The best way is a special power supply designed for your laptop. The slightly less better way is to simply buy a 100W inverter, and plug your laptop PSU into this.

It depends. Laser printers can use up to a kilowatt of power, which isn't practical for most inverters, certainly not the cigar lighter socket.

Inkjets mainly 20W or so, so could share the above inverter. If using them at the same time often, I'd go up to 150W or so rating.

This will drain the car battery in about 3-5 hours, so a secondary battery, or having the engine running may be a better option.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

You could really do with a DC to DC converter with a 19v output - but assuming that you're going to use the laptop's mains power supply, you'll need an inverter to generate mains from 12v. You'll need something in the region of 75 watts or more which, allowing for inefficiency, will draw something like 7 or 8 amps from the cigar lighter socket. Best not to do it for more than a couple of hours without running the engine. If you want to run a printer as well, you'll need a bigger inverter - which will use even more current. You'll have to work out what you need from the printer's power requirements - and then check whether the socket can deliver sufficient current.

Reply to
Roger Mills
12V DC to 240V AC power inverters are very cheap now, e.g. =A320-40 for a 300-600W unit

For occasional use, they're just the biz - I keep one in the glove box for laptop/camera and cordless power tool charging.

see

dom

"Mark Trueman" wrote;

If you go down the 12 to 240 volt inverter route be aware that if it is a higher wattage model the current drain on the wiring to the cigarette lighter can blow the fuse on that circuit and in the worse case scenario could melt the wiring to the cigarette lighter socket.

Reply to
Phil Anthropist

For ~£20 IIRC I bought a "Universal" Laptop car power supply on ebay (new) made by "Trust". Only used it a couple of times, but no problems, definitely fit my Compaq, Toshibas and a Vaio.

Reply to
Chris Hodges

I bought this,

uses 60 watt, printer uses 12, so that should be enough to cover it.

Thanks for the help

Mark

Reply to
Mark Trueman

I've used something like

for running a laptop and it would probably run a printer as well.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Andrews

Only if an inappropriate fuse has been fitted?

Reply to
Andy Burns