Updated version of our website

Page 4 of 5
Wed, Feb 25, 2004, 10:58pm (EST+5) snipped-for-privacy@rogers.com (Upscale) wonders: <snip> I was wonder how to spice it up a bit without goingoverboard.<snip>
Yellow background, definitely.
JOAT Georges Clemenceau supposedly said, "War is too important a matter to be left to the military". If this is so, it is then obvious that peace is too precious to be left to politicians.
Life just ain't life without good music. - JOAT Web Page Update 28 Feb 2004. Some tunes I like. http://community-2.webtv.net/Jakofalltrades/SOMETUNESILIKEVOCALS /
PURPLE!!!
(Upscale) wonders:

Personally I like it as is. It is clean looking and loads reasonably fast. The one comment would be to fix the contact us page. Get rid of the "this page is under developement" stuff and move the contact information from the bottom to the top. That's all you really want on that page, how to contact you.
Rick
--
webservant

Web design for churches http://www.gibs-web.ca

Looks OK, I like your top banner and the layout is clean and simple. But, where I assume the menu should be (left-hand side) I get nothing. It may be that my firewall is rejecting it. Have you got any embedded adverts in it?

It's a floating DHTML menu. No adverts. Perhaps you have Javascript turned off?

I'm not convinced it needs "spicing up." It's clean as it is. When you start selling homemade birdhouses, you can spice it up. ;>
I'd make only two suggestions-- one from a design pov, the second from usability:
1.) See if you can't find a way to either stretch your top logo, or center the entire page so that the top banner doesn't look so "off center" at screen resolutions of 1200 and greater. The page looks fine at 800x600, but as more and more standard monitors are 1200 the page looks "dated." Being dated isn't an image you want to subliminally project, right?
2.) While the javascript menu down the left side has the advantage of being visible no matter where your potential clients are on the page, it is _not_ a given that they will be able to see it. Especially _your_ potential clients. After 9/11, a lot of companies and many government offices instituted a policy of disabling javascript capabilities in browsers. If my js was "turned off" I wouldn't have even known there was a menu there.
There's a place for java, flash, etc., they serve a purpose at some sites. A site such as yours, devoted _solely_ to effective communications is, I believe, best constructed in such a way as to be totally browser compatable no matter which browser a visitor is using. What that boils down to for you is _keep it simple._
So; Ditch the java menu. Center up your logo banner, using a color scheme along the left and right sides of the banner that allow it to blend in with the background, thereby maintaining a clean appearance no matter which screen resolution a visitor is viewing.
Michael

Not sure I agree with this. Most major companies still develop for 800 pixel width. Go to microsoft.com, ibm.com, gm.com, ford.com, list goes on and on.

Not a bad idea, although JS has very little security risk, especially compared to java, active x, and flash.
I just tried the sites I mentioned above with javascript turned off, and most require it. Ford.com doesn't come up, GM gives a warning message. Ibm checks for it and offers a different version of the web page (probably the best solution), with MS you loose some graphical functionality.
The developer, however, could check for it and put a message up that his site requires it if it's not on. That's what GM.com does. Or you could just offer static menus if scripting is turned off.

For me, in IE6 (my backup browser) the menu on the left jumps up and down too much. Moreover, in Mozilla Firebird, there is no left-hand menu. Fix that! If you want a stationary left-hand menu, I'd suggest frames.
--
Best regards
Han
JOAT Georges Clemenceau supposedly said, "War is too important a matter to be left to the military". If this is so, it is then obvious that peace is too precious to be left to politicians.
Life just ain't life without good music. - JOAT Web Page Update 28 Feb 2004. Some tunes I like. http://community-2.webtv.net/Jakofalltrades/SOMETUNESILIKEVOCALS /
I am a web developer by day (I work at Microsoft). I agree that the removal of the JavaScript menu is the most critical change needed.
Being in communications, it is imperative that your customers have a reliable navigation system. If they do not, then you are not really communicating with them then are you?
codepath

You got me, What is the JAVASCRIPT menu. I work with large aircraft not computers.
Rich

The other guy who jumped in to get a critique of his web site (www.moorecommunication.com) has a left-hand navigational menu written in JavaScript (a computer language also known as JScript or ECMAScript) that follows you down the page (like the old GeoCities logo).
However, some browsers either don't support JavaScript or have JavaScript turned off which causes the menu to not display at all. Bad mojo when customers come to the site and cannot get to any of the pages.
BTW, that's another thing for your site. Have you tested it out on other browsers/versions/platforms (Netscape 4.x, IE 4.x-6.x, Opera on PC & Mac, etc). When putting up a web that is to be accessible to the general public, you must consider market share and program (and test) it accordingly.
Some features that work fine on your computer (say a Windows XP with IE 6.0) may fail (crash, error, or freeze) say a computer with different software (say a Mac with Netscape). The last thing that you would want is for a component of your web site (like the mouse trails) to crash a potential customers computer. They hate that.
codepath

scribbled:

True enough. I went to Mike Hide's site on Tripod the other day and my computer froze. Not even ALT-CTRL-DEL could get it going again. I had to shut it down on the power bar switch. The same thing happened on someone else's site on Tripod again yesterday, so it's not Mike's fault.
I run Windows XP and Opera as my browser, with cookies, pop-ups and everything else turned off. OBWW - Lee Valley is the only site I allow to put cookies on my 'puter.

As a general rule, I avoid like the plague sites at Tripod, Geocities, or Angelfire. I can't avoid them completely, and it's a lot better since I started using Netscape 7.xxx but there's just too much crap that those domains throw at you to make it worth visiting anything there.
- - LRod
Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite
Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999
http://www.woodbutcher.net
On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 12:14:15 +0000, LRod

You might want to check out Avant Browser. Not a true browser, but a "skin" that seemlessly lays over IE, (Not sure whether it's Netscape compatible.)
I'm in love with it because a.) it has a built-in "block pop-up" feature, b.) it allows for multiple page openings, which can be c.) arranged-- "cascaded", and d.) somehow it _really_ improves the speed at which I can surf.
A freebie I wouldn't be without.
Michael
How about a link to it?
"Michael Baglio @nc.rr.com>" <mbaglio<NOSPAM> wrote in message

A link to Avant Browser? You trollin' me boy? :) http://www.avantbrowser.com /
Michael (Hook, line, and sinker) Baglio
Uh, you brought it up, dude. I had never heard of it before.
So then, did you troll me?
"Michael Baglio @nc.rr.com>" <mbaglio<NOSPAM> wrote in message

Nope. Just figured it was obvious, or would be if you'd typed the name into your browser and hit "enter." Regardless, I've found it useful. If you do, cheers.
Michael
Michael Baglio