Website updated and refurbished

Hi everybody,

I have updated my website and added some projects.

are welcome.

Claude

Reply to
Claude Livernoche

Nice bench!

english link to fine tuning a japanese plane isn't working

you might want to shrink the file size on some of the images - 757K for the bandsaw tensioninng crank is a bit much

charlie b

Reply to
charlie b

Mr. Livernoche, you show a Peter Wright anvil #127, I know nothing about them but you mention it as: "The ring is clear and it has a perfect rebound." what do these terms mean?

Thank you,

Alex

Reply to
AArDvarK

Sorry Charlie, The translation for the tuning of a japanese plane is not yet done. In fact, I wrote this article because there is a lot of information avaliable in English on that topic but there is no equivalent in French as far as I know.

I will shrink some files as you suggest. Thanks,

Claude "charlie b" a écrit dans le message de news: snipped-for-privacy@accesscom.com...

Reply to
Claude Livernoche

Alex, Blacksmiths say that the sound made by an anvil can tell us if the anvil may be cracked. The rebound tells a lot about the steel quality. A good rebound also minimise fatigue and maximise the hammer's work. A cast-iron anvil generally has a poor rebound compared to a steel one. I'm not an expert in metal working. Maybe someone else could elaborate on that.

Reply to
Claude Livernoche

This can be true. OTOH, some excellent anvils don't have a strong ring (still, they don't sound cracked).

That's the key. The rebound is far more important than the ring. A large ball bearing (~3/4") dropped onto the face of a good anvil will rebound at least 75% of the way back to it's release point.

Which is why they are so often correctly called ASO's -- "anvil-shaped objects," and not "anvils." (G)

NB, though, that cast _steel_ anvils can be quite usable.

Cheers!

Jim

Reply to
Jim Wilson