Updated my (woodworking related) website

Page 1 of 2
I spent my holiday vacation time rebuilding my website www.sonomaproducts.com. I am very proud of how it came out. Lots of my woodworking projects shown.
It is a bit of a false front or faux site at the moment. Not much of an actual company behind it. I am going to venture out to try and get my Adirondack furniture into the retail market. So I built this site to help me pass the "sniff test" once I start approaching buyers.
I will only stay in my local region with the garden furniture. The product line/business probably can't scale to become full time for me, but I hope to make some cash to fund my dream of a woodworking kit business.
Let me know what you think if you have a spare moment.
Link is acting strange. Maybe this is better http://www.sonomaproducts.com

Nice job. If I were you I would let people know that your images enlarge when clicked. You'd be surprised at the number of internet illiterate people I've met that wouldn't know to click on the small thumbnail images.
I am contemplating some kind of woodworking business as well. Due to my laid-off status it seems very attractive.
Yeah, I debated (with myself) about adding a "Click for larger image" note but for now left it out. Also, the three little images on the front page aren't (yet) clickable because of how they are implemented inthe template I used for the site. I am working on that.

I think it is EXCELLENT! Well done, and, as usual, your woodworking is superb!
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

I think it is EXCELLENT! Well done, and, as usual, your woodworking is superb!
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
I used a free content management system called Joomla! and then I bought a template for $49 Then swapped in my own graphics, configured, etc.. It took some learning and I abandoned Go Daddy in the process and went over to an ISP that specializes in Joomla!. Joomla! has an awesome forum witha at least a dozen specifc categories and lots of traffic. Every question I have asked gets great answers.
Joomla is really setup to be a blog site or magazine type content but I was able to bend it inro a product format.

I have to say that the site was damn impressive. NOT cluttered (good on 'ya!), easy to navigate, and everything worked. It was really professional in appearance since it was so clean.
I liked the detailing on the kits, too. It was a nice stroke to include the skill level needed, as well as most of the tools.
The only MINOR suggestion would be to put a human in some of the pictures for reference. When I do my inspection reports, I have found that measurements mean little to most people, even folks in the trades. So if you had a lovely volunteer stand by the work (you don't even have to put them all the way in the pic... just an arm and hand on the cabinet for example) to give some reference might help folks out.
I thought your nightstand was a small spice cabinet until I read your measurements. I had been looking at the clock kit and the brain didn't click over when I changed kits.
Very nicely done!
Robert
Thx for compliments and good comments.
Yes, I lack any human face and I will add that just to give it a more personal touch. I was thinking of adding some recognizable items into some pics just to help with scale but most of the images came from my archive of existing stuff.

I think it's a very good website. I sent you a private note, via the site's "contact us" link.
Sonny
"SonomaProducts.com" wrote:

Time well spent.

As well you should be.
Good luck with your venture.
Lew
SonomaProducts.com wrote:

Overall, nicely done. To pick a nit, the gray type is a little more difficult to read. I like the rough sawn board for your company name, but if you were to lighten it a shade, the name would stand out a bit better. Of course, if you go to light you lose some of the character. That said, both were fine when I increased the size to 125%. I wonder if people know you can do that, at least with my browser you can.
Are the prices for real? They seem very reasonable.
Thx, The text color came with the template. I'll leave it alone for now but I may try to darken it later. Also will play with the main top image eventually also.
I am going to try and keep these prices. I have jigs and fixtures that simply kill the labor. I did 50 chairs as a one man op and had less than an hour per chair. I am only offering 30% discount for smal customers, 40% for 50 or more pieces and only give them the full traditional 50% wholesale discount if they pay COD. I honestly don't know if I can make profit at the 50% point but at least I'll get my money back on day one.
I don't think over $100 bucks will fly when competing with rubber wood chairs coming from Brazil, etc. So I'll see if it works.
I actually make all my money on the footstools and tables.

On Tue, 5 Jan 2010 09:10:41 -0800 (PST), "SonomaProducts.com"

Actually, I was surprised at how low the prices were. The garden table and two benches I built the past two summers, cost me in excess of $800 just for the cedar alone. I wasn't looking for any profit, since they were a gift for a friend, but if I had been, I'd have gone broke before I'd have even started.
These are all 1x material, resawed from 2x4's and 2x6's. The mill does the resawing for almost nothing. I leave it rough one side. I am also using STK (small tight knots) which is far cheaper than clear or other better grades. I also get 10,000bf pricing even though I am buying a few thou at a time right now. Amazing how much favor a free chair can garner at the mill.
On Jan 5, 9:19am, snipped-for-privacy@teksavvy.com wrote:

On Mon, 4 Jan 2010 13:45:00 -0800 (PST), "SonomaProducts.com"

Looks good, noticed one grammar issue:
"In the case of these end tables when using pocket screw joinery the structural integrity is maintained once the item is completed unit with top and shelf attached."
Should be "is a completed unit" or actually "is completed with" would work too :)
I think the font size of the menu titles could be one larger, they look a little small compared to the size of the box they are in. And do you really need the login part? I didn't see anything where an account would be needed.
-Kevin
Thx for pointng out the typo. I call it a typo because I would have known this was wrong if I actually read it vs just writing it too fast. However, it was always a badge of honor as an engineering student to nearly fail any English courses, so I am sure there are lots o' problems. I do have an editor that will comb the whole site before I do my sales push.
No login needed right now but clients will be given accounts where they can login and see their orders, wholesale prices, etc.

On Mon, 4 Jan 2010 13:45:00 -0800 (PST), "SonomaProducts.com"

*Very* nice job. I really like the tables, too. You state a variety of materials but list only one price. Is there something I'm missing? What about shipping?
Maybe...
I guess you are speaking about the woodworking kits. Those are actually future products. I am really only in the outdoor furniture business right now. I will actually try to have one price per kit regardless of material unless it is very exotic and expensive. On larger pieces that won't be possible but on small items the wood cost is a small part of the total cost. Mostly labor. Once I have online ordering then shipping will be extra. Right now I am positioning it as a wholesale business so hobby shops, etc. would be selling them.

On Tue, 5 Jan 2010 09:19:34 -0800 (PST), "SonomaProducts.com"
Yes. In particular the Mission tables. They're exactly what we're looking for.

Ah, the old bait and switch trick. ;-)

Rats. I guess I can put my credit cards away.
BTW, as long as you're looking for misteaks, when you select Kits->Jack London->Jack London Coffee table, a picture of the coffee table is shown but the caption says "Jack London End Table". Just a nit, on an otherwise very nice site; simple and elegant.
<snip>