TS Setup/alignment questions

George,

While I would love to take credit, I didn't invent the dial indicator so I can't exactly call it my "toy". I will take credit for the TS-Aligner products, but they are just fancy fixturing for dial indicators.

Perhaps I can help you understand what makes alignments with a dial indicator so much easier than traditional "feel the rub" or "hear the scrape" methods. To answer your question precisely: you "hit" the turnnion enough to change the reading on the dial indicator so that the

0.003" error is eliminated. That's one of the great things about using a dial indicator, you can leave it on the object that your are adjusting and watch the progress of your adjustmentments in real time so that you know exactly what to do and how much to do it. There's no subjective guess work.

Or, perhaps this will not help you to understand...Maybe if you sprung for the $8.50 and just goofed around with one for a while you might eventually get the idea. They don't bite and aren't so hard to use that your ego would be in danger of getting bruised. You might actually learn something new in the process.

Thanks, Ed Bennett snipped-for-privacy@ts-aligner.com

of the TS-Aligner!

George wrote:

Reply to
ejb

You're a stitch George.

UA100

Reply to
Unisaw A-100

I've got a pretty nice Starrett dial indicator and a magnetic base but I've found that I get good results by using a simple combo square.

I mark a tooth with a magic marker and check it where it would enter and leave a cut, with the blade run high.

It's fast and simple.

I find that the Unisaw stays put pretty much, once it's been set, as opposed to the Delta Contractors Saw that I had before, which needed to be reset maybe once a month, in a shop where it was used maybe twenty to thirty hours a week.

As always, YMMV.

Tom Watson - WoodDorker tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (email)

(website)

Reply to
Tom Watson