messing with gas

Why do people keep asking questions about (usually) stupid modifications to their gas supply?? These sort of alterations are potentially lethal and highly illegal. If you do not know the answer to the question-YOU ARE NOT QUALIFIED!!!!!

Reply to
fred

The message from fred contains these words:

Really? I thought you were allowed to work on your own gas system.

Reply to
Guy King

That certainly seems to be the consensus in our regular periodic debates of 'the CORGI issue'.

Reply to
Steve Walker

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember fred saying something like:

Oh, do f*ck off.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

If not done competently.

Only if you do it for reward and are not deemed to be "competent". Now can you give us the accepted definition of "competent"? No, I thought not.

Wrong again. There's a process involved called learning. Something you clearly need to experience.

If you need to post stuff like this then you are not qualified for life in the community. Get back to your asylum.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

Alterations to your own gas supply done by yourself isn't illegal, dear boy. If you are competent to do so. And gas pipework is no more difficult to work than any other.

Cooking food wrongly is potentially lethal. And kills far more than DIY gas work.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

No. Not illegal at all so long as you are 'competent'. Even 'competent' people need to ask questions!

Even Corgi gas installers (should) ask questions as they don't know everything!

sponix

Reply to
Sponix

It's even "illegal" for window cleaners to work from a ladder without carrying out a formal "risk assessment!

sponix

Reply to
Sponix

Well said that man. And I *guess* the same applies to electrical work.

Reply to
dave

That sounds like an excellent service. Can you come over to my place on Sunday? I've got some plumbing that needs finishing and you can keep Mrs.C occupied while I watch the Grand Prix.

Reply to
Chris Cowley

Please read the FAQs. Especially the Gas Fitting one.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

The message from "Bob Mannix" contains these words:

IIRC the item you are misquoting is something to the effect of "if the law said that then the law is an ass". Unlike Part P the law on gas work doesn't appear to be an ass.

I was under the impression that landlords were specifically required to use professionals for gas work.

If the term 'competent' is not defined in the legislation then ISTM that any judge has no option but to take its everyday meaning for the context. The dictionary definition (Collins) I have before me should suit: "having sufficient skill, knowledge, etc.; capable." That the law makes provision for a competent person to do the work without being Corgi registered as long as they do not do it for reward is ample evidence that doing such work without Corgi registration can be legal as well of ample evidence that those who would argue otherwise are either driven by malice or stupidity or quite possibly both.

OTOH Corgi registration is no protection to a tradesman who carries out his work incompetently. He will be done for dangerous work on Health and Safety grounds.

Reply to
Roger

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Chris Cowley saying something like:

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Think about this first lads. We can't all do the plumbing. /Someone's/ going to have to deal with Mrs C.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Be careful now - animal rights gurus are in the thought police. Anywa is that why they are called Corgi approved? AJK

-- tonytrans

Reply to
tonytrans

Well, I assumed the stampede was everyone running a mile!

Reply to
Chris Cowley

What's it worth not to tell her? :-)

Reply to
Andy Hall

I was thinking that running a mile was an unusual form of foreplay but I didn't want to say anything.

Owain

Reply to
Owain