Unused circuit breaker

Reply to
Don Young

This is Turtle.

It's done all the time , but i would make sure the loose wires were very well capped off and taped up to not let them touch anything in the box at all.

Now if you wanted to remove the breaker , you can go to any electric supply warehouse and get breaker slot plugs and pull the breaker and put the plugs in it's place in the open slots.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

I have a circuit breaker in my master panel that serves a disconnected/unused circuit.

I don't just want to remove the breaker because that would leave a gaping hole in the panel.

Can I just disconnect the wires from the circuit breaker and put a wire-nut on the end of each wire? Is it ok to have some lose wires, terminated by wire nuts, dangling in the panel?

Walter The Happy Iconoclast

-
Reply to
Walter R.

Why not just remove all the unused wires etc and leave only the circuit breaker?

Reply to
Bert Byfield

What's wrong with just turning the breaker off, and leaving everything else alone?

Doug Miller

Doug;

The problem occurs when some unknowing person say's "why is this breaker off?" And turn's it on. It's best to wire nut off unused lines at both ends. You can leave the spare breaker in the panel off or on wouldn't matter at that point.

Why's all this matter. Cause people sell houses. And, years later, the original homeowner may forget about the modification, and the new homeowner may, at his curiosity, turn it [the breaker] on.

Reply to
Zypher