HVLP Setup questions

I recently bought a fairly inexpensive hvlp gun, and I have a couple of questions for the experts.

The gun only comes witht 1.4 mm tip - assuming I can't find other tips for it, what finishines can I expect to be able to work with ?

If I can find tips, what would a good 'standard' collection to have around and for what finishes ?

Is this the type regulator I should add ?

the gun calls for 40lbs of air (haven't receved it yet so haven't seen the directions), should I adjust for that at the compressor or can I leave the compresor pressure at 90-100 (where it normally is) and use something like the above to adjust ?

Yea - I know - pretty basic stuff but I'm a real greenie to spraying.

jim

Reply to
Jim Bailey

1.4 is a pretty good all purpose tip. It all really depends on the materials you will be spraying. I know that sounds like a line, but really, tips and materials go hand in hand. Your manual will probably give more info on different tips or the manufacturer's web site may. My best suggestion - try shooting something with it. How do you like the finish? My guess is that for 90% of what hobbyists do that tip will be just fine.

Check your manual. This is very specific to the gun - especially with HVLP.

'll do nicely as a gun mounted regulator, but you'll also want a better regulator at the compressor. I have gun mounts on all of my guns and wouldn't be without them. Spray painting is too dependent upon too many factors and having the ability to change my gun pressure without running back to the compressor in order to achieve proper atomization and pattern is worth the small cost of the regulator.

I leave my compressor at max and regulate my gun at the gun. If you don't use a gun mounted regulator then do not - do not run your compressor at max. Depending on how much hose you have and what diameter it is, you will lose some pressure in the line so it is generally safe to add around 10lbs at the compressor to allow for this. This assumes 25-30 feet of 3/8 air line.

Also - do yourself a huge favor. Buy a couple of these...

use this url...

are the absolute best investment you can make in your spray painting operations. No matter what type of moisture traps you may or may not have in the system, keep one of these on each gun at all times.

DAGS this group for spray painting topics. There has been a lot of good discussion about painting that is well worth reading for the beginner.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Reply to
Bob Bowles