TS Miter Gauge Question

Page 2 of 2
On 6/3/2016 7:10 PM, krw wrote:

When I remodeled the bathroom in my old house, I ripped out the false ceiling and lying on the ceiling, was beautiful pair of lineman's pliers. The house was around 50 years old then, and I still have them. I guess they are around 90 years old now.
Super quality and I bet the guy wondered where they went till the day he died. Although I have no clue who he was, I think of him, and thank him, every time I use them, which is quite often.
--
Jack
If all is not lost, where is it?

Yeah that's dementia. LOL
On 05/31/2016 8:43 AM, Bill Leonhardt wrote: ...

Having a PM Model 66, it's how things are intended to be! :)
I've used it that way for so long it's completely automagic to move it to the rear to remove when wanting to do so.
Personally, I find the extra stability _far_ outweighs the possible inconvenience (and, as noted, after 30 yr or so, you don't even think of it as inconvenient; it's only until you're trained (properly I might add :) ) it seems so.
Not that I have an opinion or anything... !:)

On 6/1/2016 12:45 PM, dpb wrote:

LOL
On Tuesday, May 31, 2016 at 8:43:45 AM UTC-5, Bill Leonhardt wrote:

t unless that end of the gauge bar is off the table.

back for cross cutting wide stock. In this case, the keeper keeps the far end of the gauge from rotating up as you start the cut.

how I’ve done business for a very long time.

I removed mine, but not because I did not like it. In fact it comes in rea ly handy when using a tenoning jig. But my outfeed table track does not ha ve the T slot and when it came to a choice between the slot or the outfeed table, the table won hands down. That table has saved me too many times.

Widen your out feed track slot if you can, there is no need for that slot to be an exact fit.
On 06/04/2016 9:05 AM, Leon wrote:

Just cut the tee there, too, presuming it's a wood top, or buy one of the insert t-tracks if don't want the slotting cutter--all that takes is widening the groove...

dpb wrote:

Not really. The out feed does not need to be an exact fit - just a place for the miter to run into. It can be 2" wider than your table saw slot and it will work just fine.
--
-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@windstream.net
On 6/4/2016 12:09 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:

Correct! The TS table top does not have an extended miter slot to begin with, adding an out feed does not require there to be one added other from the fact that the bar needs room. So give it plenty of room.
On 06/04/2016 1:11 PM, Leon wrote:
Ah, come on, guys...I didn't say it _HAS_ to, just offered an alternative. Give it a break.

On 6/4/2016 5:37 PM, dpb wrote:

Not arguing, just trying to make it simpler. ;~)
I once left a hammer in a wall I later sheetrocked. When I realized it, I opened the wall since it was one of my favorite hammers.
The contractor's assistant who framed and finished my kitchen left a hammer in the soffit over the cabinets. When he realized that, they decided to leave it.
To me, hammers that feel right are sacred. It would take more that a little sheetrock and extra spackle to leave one behind.
Bill
On 06/04/2016 6:38 PM, Leon wrote: ...

Hadn't the alternate option already been given?

On 6/5/2016 9:12 AM, dpb wrote:

Yes! And I read your response to my mentioning to simply make the slot wider as a possible necessary step to keep the miter gauge going straight after the cut had been made.
Several years ago there was a long and drawn out discussion about an out feed table having accurate miter slots to further guide the gauge after the cut. I was just reiterating that the grove simply needs to provide a path and not be a guide.
Anyway.... ;~)
Leon wrote:

Roger that. If the slot had to be sized to the miter then how would table saws that do not have an outfeed work? They've got a really really wide slot beyond the table...
--
-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@windstream.net
On 06/05/2016 10:12 AM, Leon wrote: ...

Well, the head of the factory miter gauge has some several inches overhang before it clears the blade entirely, so a further guide wouldn't have _zero_ effect...
But the following was implicit in the previous post:
DISCLAIMER:
The following is for the benefit (if any were to be perceived) of the OP under the caveat it is an express alternate technique admittedly requiring further effort than the absolute minimum required for simple functionality. Any who might be offended or feel the need to pontificate further need progress no further.
_IF_ (the proverbial "big if") you're one of those that the appearance of things is as of much (or maybe even more) importance than simply functionality, one may find router bits with which one may create the matchint t-slot, or one could use a commercial t-slot fitting.
Whether this is of sufficient importance to you is left entirely to your discretion; it is provided simply to remind that there are relatively simple (albeit somewhat more involved than "the bare minimum") techniques which will allow for accomodation of the factory miter gauge.

I would argue that it's not just wasted effort but getting the slots aligned perfectly would seem to be pretty difficult, with zero gain (as has been repeatedly pointed out here).

I'm glad you added the above disclaimer. ;-)
dpb wrote:

Before you continue on with this, think about the standard saw with no outfeed table. There is no miter slot guide beyond that of the saw itself. Now - how is an outfeed slot going to provide any benefit at all? It has zero effect.

Just what in the hell are you trying to say here? Besides trying to sound like a lawyer, the above makes absolutely no sense at at..

You need to stop writing - this is of little more sense than your previous paragraph.

You really need to stop trying to sound like some academic idiot. Just about everything you have said in this post makes no sense at all.
--
-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@windstream.net

Once the head of the miter gauge reaches the front of the blade, the cut is complete. So I'm not seeing why anyone would care about clearing the blade completely.
I suspose if you're cutting dados or something like that you care until the gauge reaches the center of the blade, but even then most of the bar is in the table slot.
John
On 6/6/2016 12:02 PM, John McCoy wrote:

a 3" piece of stock, and the front would not complete the cut.

--
Jeff