Too good to be true?

Page 9 of 11

On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 10:04:45 -0500, Duane Bozarth

HP is not extremely high (I want to say it's 180 off the top of my head, but that could be wrong), but it is pretty zippy- 0-60 in 7.2 seconds, which is enough for me. Engine is a 2.0L Mazda.

Prometheus wrote:

If it's that high, I agree the drop ascribed is excessive due to compressor load...

I believe most cars get better mileage on the highway with the AC turned on and the windows closed than with the AC off and the windows open. The added aerodynamic drag introduced by opening the windows is worse than turning the AC on.
Best mileage is with the AC off and the windows up :-)

Mythbusters just did this one, actually. Two identical vehicles, one with AC on, the other with the windows open. It was a Ford Expedition, which is hardly an example of an aerodynamic, efficient vehicle, but they found that the one with the A/C ran out of gas first, by a few percent. I don't have exact numbers, but google might.
This might be vastly different with a more aerodynamic vehicle, where the aerodynamic change made by opening the windows takes it from "good" to "bad", rather than from "bad" to "more bad".
Way I look at it, I'll run the A/C and be a bit more comfortable, either way.
    Greetings and Salutation...

    Yea, I saw that episode, and, I think that the BIG issue there was that they were driving at a fairly low speed. They were limited to 45 MPH, and, at that rate, I am not sure that the drag would make a difference. It ALSO might well have been the vehicles. I recall a sedan from some years ago that got about 15% better gasoline mileage when driving at interstate speeds, with the A/C on. This was kind of surprising to me, but, we ran several cycles of testing over tanks of gasoline, and, it was quite consistant.     Another factor is that the blast of wind through the windows can be PRETTY irritating after a bit...I much prefer the low hum of the A/C fans.     Regards     Dave Mundt
On 30 Jun 2005 11:05:23 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@panix.com (Roy Smith) wrote:

They did an episode of that "Mythbusters" show on that very thing. At first it seemed like they were the same, but when they took identical vehicles on a track and tried running them until they were out of gas, the car running AC lost by a large margin. Seemed that the drag from the open window wasn't nearly as much of a factor. They only tested one make, though- I would imagine the body style has a lot to do with how much drag is really there.

I thought so too, but what the heck. I'm just happy with the 42 mpg, and figure I can deal with the window most of the time to make that happen!

So, why does this table show 70.6 and you see 41? Even the empirical vs. USA'n gallon size doesn't wash with the numbers.

Dave Hinz wrote:

The tests are simply that--tests. What bearing they have on actual driving results is minimal, at best. Their only value imo is to compare gross differences between themselves, but in most cases that is self-evident anyway. Miniscule differences between models, otoh, while perhaps "statistically significant" in the scope of the test, will be completely overshadowed by the difference in conditions between the test environment and actual usage.

That's a good question- the mfg sticker claims 35-51 hwy mpg. I have no idea where the table came from in the first place. Could be they used some kind of test that had nothing to do with real-world conditions.

71 km = 44 miles
Sorta makes you wonder?

Well spotted, George. Maybe the person who posted the table can provide the link so we can read it for ourselves. Maybe it's being misrepresented.
Patrick Conroy wrote:

They switched to curing arthritis.
--
dadiOH
____________________________
Patrick Conroy wrote:

Be very careful with this one. I installed one backwards by mistake and my MPG decreased by 35%. Called J.C. Whitney and they straightened me out. Said to either R&R the magnet properly or drive backwards to achieve the higher MPG

Yeahbut it should'a worked fine if you moved to New Zealand, right?
on 6/24/2005 11:20 AM Patrick Conroy said the following:

Tried that, but the damn car sunk as soon as I left San Diego. Guess we'll never know.

Funny thing - Following a recent engine swap, I've suddenly got a wonky speedo, which is of course making the odometer less than reliable. I filled up the tank the other day, and checked the mileage. A quick bit of math led to around 84 MPG. That's one goddamn fine engine I put in there! :)

Swap the transmission too? Kinda hard to see how an engine swap alone could do that... easy if you changed the tranny as well.
--
Regards,

How do the new speedometer/odometers work? Same computer as the engine perhaps? I know I can push a button and instantly change all the gauges from English to metric and the speedometer needle pops right up to the new number. .

FWIW, if it's a mechanical speedo, you probably crimped the flexi-cable a bit and got a kink in it. BTDT. It's a touchy little mechanism.