Too good to be true?

Page 11 of 11

Bob Schmall wrote:

tools. At least that's what the fellow told me in November last year. Could be the packs you brought in were not screwed together, rather a glued-up box? At least that was the kicker for my Batteries Plus store. Tom

True, I was just referring to the subthread complaint about a particular shop somewhere that was unable (or at least unwilling) to tackle a welded-plastic b-pack...

It could also be the Ol' "reverse zap" method. Using a 12v car battery, zap the NiCad for a split-second with the polarity reversed. ie. +ve cable to +ve terminal on car-battery *and* NiCAD, -ve to -ve. I zap 'em two or three times, with pauses in-between to ensure nothing over-heats.
I've done this several times with NiCads that were past their prime, and it works, ort of. About 1/4 of the NiCads I've done to date recovered and worked well for a while, about another 1/4 recharged OK once or twice then turned toes up again and the rest stayed parrots.
As they were cactus dominictus anyway, I wasn't concerned about damaging 'em *but* I've learned a thing or two since then and have stopped doing it.
Damaging the car battery is a very real possibilty... so are exploding NiCads. Be warned, it ain't worth it.
--
- Andy
I emailed the owner and asked:

I am the president of Unique Dynamics, Inc. that has copyright and patent
Resurrection? Is this the "Second Coming"?
Seems over the top and awfully pretentious. What procedure for TRYING to save a bad battery pack warrants a patent? When I've had bad battery packs, I've found dead cells. There's no hocus pocus that's gonna bring those dead cells back to life.
Was it PT Barnum that said...?
Any chance the "feedback" is bogus?
Even if Doug gets an email back, why couldn't it be coming from a shill?
Dave
AAvK wrote:

The site says "patent pending"...
There is no patent.
yeah. It sounds "patently" hoky. :)
Dave
Dave Balderstone wrote:

Dave Balderstone wrote:

I applied for a patent on my electric fork, but the shitheels at the patent office never gave me one.
Bob

Google on "revive NiCad battery" and you'll discover that (apparently) there *is* such hocus pocus.

Of course. However, there's an awful lot of it. Which means that someone went to an awful lot of trouble to create it.

I did get one response. Yes, it could be coming from a shill. Doesn't sound like it IMO, though:
"Hello! Yes, it works well-but not on all batteries. Firstly, you need to be able to access the individual cells. Using a 10-12 volt source battery(9 is too weak I've found) you "zap" each dead cell-most are revived and can then be charged. Some won't work at all and some don't hold it. However, the first one (an 18 volt Milwaukee battery) that had several bad cells has held 20 volts for several weeks. Others have not held it. You can always take the remaining good cells from an otherwise bad battery overall for use later (SOLDERING SKILLS HELP). He also has a new "quick" method that is easier but doesn't always work. Easily worth the $13 for one battery if you ask me. "
--
Regards,

Its nothing to do with the voltage, a supply as low as approx 1.5v would easily suffice, its current you need - lots of it. Basically you are removing internal hair like growths that short the positive and negative sides of the individual cells.
On the "memory effect", if correctly applied it only occurred in *ONE* specific application back in the 1960's (a communications satellite) that precisely controlled charge and discharge cycles. A similar effect is observed by the consumer but its not memory effect.
Read the Nicad faq for the full story (yes I know it says memory effect does occur but its just semantics)
http://www.repairfaq.org/ELE/F_NiCd_Battery.html

Well, when I worked in a biomedical engineering lab years ago, we had a battery rejuvinator for NiCd defib batteries. It'd do a milliamp-hour check first, then do it's cycle pattern, and then do another analysis afterwards. Some batteries got drastically better, some stayed bad. So, from this, I deduce that memory effect _is_ real in NiCd, and given the proper equipment and/or technique, you _can_ get some of them back.

Right, that technique has been around forever. I can see how he claims copyright for his procedure document, but the fact that he claims to hold patent in the auction, yet his site says "patent pending", shows that something is fishy. The medical-grade battery rejuvinators use a charge/discharge cycle pattern rather than a capacitive discharge into the battery, by the way. Physio-Control was/is the manufacturer, if you're interested in googling for details.

Maybe, but probably the same "discharge a cap into it and hope for the best" that you'll find for free with any search engine.
Dave Hinz
Howdy!

If you've gotten grain growth in the Cadmium plate, it may be possible to run the battery down and recharge it at the optimal rate to reform the crystal structure. If you've gotten dendrite growth, you can fry the dendrites that are shorting the battery (zap!), but there is a high liklihood that the problem will recur.
In addition, there are other ways to damage batteries so that they don't produce the expected level of output that are permanent. The rejuvenator you describe sounds like something sophisticated that will actually do the job when it can be done. Randomly trying to run the battery completely down (as some might try) is a crap shoot.
The response from the seller sounds a lot like he is trying to sell you dehydrated water.
yours, Michael
snipped-for-privacy@radix.net | White Wolf and the Phoenix
Houghton) wrote:

Note that the response I posted was not from the seller, but from one of the *buyers*.
--
Regards,
Doug Miller wrote:

Uh, how confident are you that they are really two different people?
--

FF

snipped-for-privacy@spamcop.net wrote:

--
Regards,

For the record, neither the copyright or the patent office verifies that something works, just that it's unique enough. I have no information or comment on whatever this process is, but I want to point out that that doesn't mean it's been validated by those offices.
Me, I'll stick with Batteries Plus.