Today Was A Good Day

My nephew and his 2 boys came over and cleaned out my inside scrap wood bin, which was 2 sections of my wood rack, each section about 2.5'H X 4'W X 10' deep. All that scrap got chuncked outside and covered with visquene, for now.
In place, on the inside wood rack sections, they restacked about 2000 bd ft of cherry and white oak, from the outside overhang rack, and more neatly restacked some of the sinker cypress in another rack section. I helped a little. Took 4 long hours to do all that.
There is still some white oak and other lumber to bring inside, but that can wait for another day.
They relocated and reorganized some items - old unused shaper, bar clamp rack, installed a new C-clamp rack - making for more and better room to do my usual work.
The shop needed a good overhaul, that way, and those young muscles sure did a good job.
Sonny

which was 2 sections of my wood rack, each section about 2.5'H X 4'W X 10' deep. All that scrap got chuncked outside and covered with visquene, for now.

cherry and white oak, from the outside overhang rack, and more neatly restacked some of the sinker cypress in another rack section. I helped a little. Took 4 long hours to do all that.

installed a new C-clamp rack - making for more and better room to do my usual work.

Plus you got to spend some time with them, in a good way, not just hanging around.
I think the subject says it all.

Yep. I always enjoy their coming over, for any reason. I think, with each visit, they gleaned a little of my personnel self and they seem to appreciate that of me. That makes me feel good, too.
The two young ones, 11 & 13, still have that position of being intimidated by my "authority". They haven't quite gotten the idea that I don't mind them doing pretty much anything they want, in the shop or in my home, ie., make themselves at home, short of turning on a machine, they are not skilled with, and/or something dangerous, that way. I can detect they want to learn, a hint of their "can do" and "want to do" attitude, but they're not sure, yet, just how far they can go on their own, as if I'll restrict them somehow. The more they learn they can expand on their own, and be safe, then they can do pretty much what they want, without my interferring. Like Jonas, their dad, he didn't ask if he could come over and clean up the shop... he just did it, just "barged in" and took care of the job. The boys seem to be on the right track to learning, from their dad's example, how to take control, when needed, and get things done in a comfortable (within their abilities) and safe way.
Yep, it's good to have buddies, as that, to hang out with.
Sonny
On Saturday, July 21, 2012 8:38:41 PM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Similar situation here. Our daughter brought her five, ranging from four to thirteen, Friday. They will be with us until Wednesday, when we take them 1/2 way home to Wichita. This is the annual summer summer stay at our place. They are from a town of 5,000 so staying with us in the town of 750 is like going to the country.
So far I have helped the youngest boy make a pinewood derby car. He and his dad made one that won their local derby and this one is for fun. Went to Parsons last evening for car paint and ice cream for all.
Today is water park and putting together a bird house or two. The kid's other grandfather was a true craftsman but he passed suddenly a few years ago. He was a machinist by trade and woodworking hobbyist so I have big shoes to fill. But they seem to think I am up to it.
Time passes quickly and we are seeing a time, soon, when the 13 year old will probably find jobs and girls more important than these summer trips but we cherish while we can.
RonB

^^^^^^^^
Haven't heard anyone use that word in a coons age ...
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010

Chuncked or visquene? LOL. I assume "chuncked".
Initially, we gingerly stacked the scrap on sawhorses, but there was so much, we soon realized the saw horses wouldn't hold all of it. We gave up on being neat. Lots of old cypress and sinker cypress, among the scrap, and I kind of hate to simply discard it. I may post most of it on Craigslist for free. It would make for nice small projects, like bird houses, etc., and maybe a few more moderate size projects.
Among this cache, there are cut-offs, from old hand hewn beams, that were leftovers from the house remodeling. Here's a pic of one of those cut-offs having been made into a patio bench - http://www.flickr.com/photos/43836144@N04/4035435438/in/photostream I would think someone can find a good use for lots of the scrap. Even I find a use for some of it, now and then. .... A good bit of ER cedar, in there, as well.
Sonny

Nope ... the one that had the up arrows pointing at it, "visquene".
You told your age with that one. :)
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
"Swingman" wrote:

Last time I heard "visquene", kicked the slats out of my cradle.
Lew .

"Visquene" works for me.
Lew
On 7/23/2012 2:24 PM, Swingman wrote:

Yeah is that not what was used on section of and prevent dust migration and paint over spray at Sally's house? ;~) Last Spring.

I'm quilty of still using that term. Covers exactly what I want with out having to use more then on word.
Mike M