My new grill came today.

On topic since it is a natural gas grill and I will have to hook it up to a gas line on the lanai.
I ordered this in early January but it was out of stock and the model I wanted was being updated. It is now back in production and mine is sitting, waiting for assembly now. I'll be cooking an a couple of days.
If you are not familiar with the brand, Napoleon is to Canada what Weber is to the US. I had a Weber Summit for a few years at my old house and since I could have a gas line instead of tanks I upgraded to this. I'm looking forward to trying the sear station.
https://tinyurl.com/y39qkazb
https://napoleon.com/en/us/grills/products/gas-grills/prestige-pro-series/prestige-pro-500-rsib-pro500rsibnss-3
On 2/12/2019 2:28 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Too much grill for me. I like to cook on the grill but not the whole meal since grill is on the deck next to the kitchen. I also like the smoke and the flame as a lot of these grills appear like taking the kitchen outdoors. If the food tastes the same, why grill it outside?
On Tuesday, February 12, 2019 at 2:28:47 PM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Do you need a license to run that thing?

You won't go wrong with a Napoleon - or even a BroilKing.
I've had a NG Broilking for quite some time now. You WILL find the heat output of the natural gas unit "doesn't hold a candle to" propane though - - -
On Tuesday, February 12, 2019 at 4:52:31 PM UTC-5, Clare Snyder wrote:

I consider the switch from propane to natural gas one of the best decisions we ever made. The grill gets plenty hot, and I haven't touched a tank in years.
Cindy Hamilton

I've can refill a lot of propance tanks for what the builder charged for the gas line. Worth it not to have to haul tanks and swap them out in the middle of cooking something.
On Wednesday, February 13, 2019 at 9:44:55 AM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

We did the work ourselves, so it was just the cost of parts from Home Despot. A couple years later we pulled a permit to install an automatic standby generator around the corner of the house from the grill. The inspector was nice enough to poke his head around the corner, look at the plumbing to the grill, and pass the entire run from the meter past the generator, to the grill.
Cindy Hamilton

It was criminal what they wanted to install the gas line for mine, and they all wanted to do it with the crappy flexible stainless pipe.
I finally got hold of a plumber/gasfitter who was more or less willing to do it in iron pipe and I asked him what he'd charge if I supplied all the pipe and fittings, cut and threaded to fit.
His reply was "you don't need me - if you can do that, you can do the whole job. Just call this number and ask for an inspection when you are done" - so I did.
Cost me under $100 including the shutoffs and quick disconnect and all the pipe and fittings - compared to $400 - $600 that I had been quoted for the flex tube.
The inspector was impressed with my installation
On 2/12/19 4:52 PM, Clare Snyder wrote:

How's the "heat output" when the propane tank runs out?
But seriously, are you saying a 30K BTU propane grill has more "heat output" than a 30K BTU natural gas grill?
On 2/13/2019 9:26 AM, Bubba wrote:

A BTU is a BTU and they don't give a different rating. Not that it matters much for 99% of your cooking as you are not on high all the time. Just to get a sear.

ANd it is on the sear that it is noticeable - but not a serious problem
On Wednesday, February 13, 2019 at 9:26:06 AM UTC-5, Bubba wrote:

If you buy a 30K BTU propane grill and a 30K BTU propane grill, they have the same heat output. The issue is some can be converted from one fuel to another by design with a kit or people do it themselves by drilling out the orifice size. Or people just switch from one fuel to another without doing anything. In those conversion cases, the BTU output can change and it does for sure if you change the fuel without doing anything.
On Wednesday, February 13, 2019 at 7:14:52 AM UTC-8, trader_4 wrote:

"If you buy a 30K BTU propane grill and a 30K BTU propane grill, they have the same heat output."
Of course. What is your point?
On Wednesday, February 13, 2019 at 10:25:39 AM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

The point was clearly explained in the part you apparently chose to ignore.
On 2/13/19 10:47 AM, trader_4 wrote:

Not really. The OP stated "You WILL find the heat output of the natural gas unit 'doesn't hold a candle to' propane though - - -"
I believe that statement to be factually incorrect.
On Wednesday, February 13, 2019 at 11:52:04 AM UTC-5, John Jackson wrote:

I wasn't replying to the OP, I replied to Bubba. It was Clare that made the comment about heat output. And without knowing the details of the particular model or models, there is no way of knowing how the heat output compares. If a propane model has a tated output of 30K BTUs and the nat gas model has a rated output of 30K BTUs, then the heat output is the same. If you just take a grill designed for propane and run it on nat gas, then you'll get less heat output. Some models have conversion kits that change the orifices and valve stops. Whether heat output stays the same or changes with any particular one of those, you'd have to check the manufacturer's specs.

"In theory" they should be the same. This assumes the natural gas grille actually gets 2.5 times as much natural gas as the propane one gets propane. I suspect the difference ,at least in my case, has to do with the pressure of the gas regulator.
Propane generally runs at 11 inches WP. Natural gas is generally 6.5 to 8 inches WP.
I suspect the jetting on the BroilKing corrects for the fuel density difference without properly (fully) adjusting for the pressure difference - just a SWAG on my part but would account for the difference.
On my generator (tri-fuel) I get 7200 watts on gasoline, 7000 on propane, and 5200 on natural gas - with the system optimized for the fuel being used.If my natural gas was running higher pressure I'm sure I could get more

I went from a propane BroilKing to a natural gas equivalent from the same company - and yes, the natural gas grill does not get as hot. I cannot explain why - but I have friends who have reported the same. That said - I'd NEVER go back to propane if natural gas was an option. I've burned fewer pork chops on the natural gas grille -- - - - -

With the $50 accessory smoker tray, most definitely!!
On 2/12/2019 2:28 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

When I first moved into this house 9 1/2 years ago, I bought a grill from Lowe's with a sear burner. The grill was total junk, but it had a sear burner which was really nice. Fortunately the grill totally fell apart in a few years and I replaced it with a Weber ... one of the best decisions I made. But I still miss the sear burner. BTW, both were propane hooked up to my 500 gallon tank as we have no natural gas here.