Tips for an organized workshop

Page 1 of 2
Get down to Staples, or Office Depot this week. It's probably the last week, they will have back-to-school supplies.
I use pencil boxes (those large translucent plastic things) to hold small screw drivers, drill sets, etc. Beats having them roll around in my tool chest. Come in two sizes, small and large. I get both.
I also use the plastic slider boxes as well. You buy pencils for marking, no? They are a good place for them.
Erasers - I got 12 of those Stadler plastic erasers for the price of 4!
Etc., etc. Anyone else has good tips like these?
Sharpies are also on sale as well. Tho I didn't get them this week. I have enough for the moment.
MJ

I still have the one they gave me in kindergarten.
RonB

Hell yes I make mistakes but I don't use an eraser to fix them. I use my negative kerf saw blades for that!!
Gordon Shumway

Over here we call them rubbers. That caused some confusion in a posting I made some years ago.
Jeff
--
Jeff Gorman, West Yorkshire, UK
email : Username is amgron

I made a mistake once: I thought I was wrong, but it turned out I was right.
-Zz
Zz Yzx wrote:

ehem. :-)
"I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken."
--

-MIKE-

Zz Yzx wrote:

That of course, means you were thus wrong... :)

The wise man learns from other people's mistakes. The average man learns from his own mistakes, and the fool never learns, because he doesn't make mistakes.

What is the difference between an oriental and an occidental?
The occidental learns from his mistakes.
The oriental learns from the mistakes of others, it's cheaper.
Lew

I thought I was wrong once . . . but I was mistaken.
Dave in Houston

I don't use stand-alone erasers in the shop, but when I am drafting a desgin I will use one, sometimes with a metal erasor shield. Two pencils with erasors are great for guiding small wood pieces on a bandsaw table. Avoid ink pens on wood.

You just dated yourself. When you mention drafting using erasers and a metal erasing shield I guessing you have drafting experience going back to at least the late 70's. I got my drafting table training during the mid 60's using similar tools. I was trained in CAD during the Late 70's/early 80's but was moving into other branches of aerospace by then. I still dig out the old drafting tools when I am working on a design problem.
It is discouraging to see how little college engineering students learn about drafting when they finish school.
Ron
RonB wrote:

Personally I find CAD to be OK for preparing a finished drawing but not so much so for brainstorming.

I finished many designs on the drawing board before moving over to CAD. I use CAD a lot but sometimes I really lose sight of the big picture. What I have found to be extremely helpful is to layout the boundarys and some features in CAD, print it out and then sketch on tracing paper laid over the CAD drawing those details that I want to play with.
Bill Leonhardt
"RonB" wrote: ------------------------------------------------ You just dated yourself. When you mention drafting using erasers and a metal erasing shield I guessing you have drafting experience going back to at least the late 70's. I got my drafting table training during the mid 60's using similar tools. ----------------------------------------------------
Rookie.
Lew

OK - How Long Ago?
"RonB" wrote:
OK - How Long Ago?
Started slinging lead as a summer job in 1956.
Put myself thru school working in various drafting rooms.
Still have the remains of a callous on my middle finger.
Lew
RonB wrote:

Before I retired as an engineer (1918) we were generally discouraged from doing our own drafting. We had drafters that we worked with to get out the final drawings. They didn't want us to waste our engineering time fiddling with all the minor details of developing a drawing to the finished standard.
Bill
"BillGill" wrote

And I thought I was old! <G>