Tips for an organized workshop

------------------------------------------------ You just dated yourself. When you mention drafting using erasers and a metal erasing shield I guessing you have drafting experience going back to at least the late 70's. I got my drafting table training during the mid 60's using similar tools.

Rookie.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Before I retired as an engineer (1918) we were generally discouraged from doing our own drafting. We had drafters that we worked with to get out the final drawings. They didn't want us to waste our engineering time fiddling with all the minor details of developing a drawing to the finished standard.

Bill

Reply to
BillGill

"BillGill" wrote

And I thought I was old!

Reply to
Lee Michaels

I'm guessing that should have been 1981?

Reply to
Upscale

Whoops, 1998. It might make some difference.

I think one of the changes along through that time was that they did switch to CAD. The drafters were trained in using the software, which could sometimes be about as hard as design software, and all the standards so that other people could read the drawings.

Bill

Reply to
BillGill

I finished many designs on the drawing board before moving over to CAD. I use CAD a lot but sometimes I really lose sight of the big picture. What I have found to be extremely helpful is to layout the boundarys and some features in CAD, print it out and then sketch on tracing paper laid over the CAD drawing those details that I want to play with.

Bill Leonhardt

Reply to
starsvt

I was wondering too. ;-)

Discouraged? I graduated (BSEE) a quarter century before that, but never took a drafting class. I don't know anyone who did, in fact (at least as a college credit).

Reply to
keithw86

Yeah, and CAD, especially CATIA drivers are paid quite well. My company won a major training system contract during the mid-90's and we needed aircraft CATIA drafts people to support engineering. About that time Boeing started one of their 67X program and our Wichita operation got into a CATIA war with Boeing Wichita, and Seattle. We hired young CATIA designers at $45 to $50 and Boeing was luring them with increasingly higher wages. Before it was over we lost all of our contract designers beacause they could make around $80 plus per diem @ Boeing - again, the 1990's.

Reply to
RonB

Sometimes, when I use a marking knife it can be hard to see the line, depending on the color of the wood.

So I use a pencil to darken it, and an eraser to remove the graphite outside the scribe line. I get a fine dark line.

Reply to
Jim Weisgram

OK - How Long Ago?

Reply to
RonB

I went through two years of design technology it Pittsburg State University (Ks) and graduated in 1967. The tech school provided more drafting knowledge in the first semester that college grads ever get. Then they provide architectural, machine design, illustration, and several applied tech courses like electricity, structural analysis, machine shop, welding, etc. You come out pretty well prepared to get started in anything but aircraft. So I hired on with an aircraft company, but survived.

A couple years after I started working I decided to go for a business degree and went to school, while raising family, for 8 - 9 years. Desperate to graduate in '78, I started quizzing out on anything I thought I could. The Wichita State industrial dean suggested I take Drafting 102 and 202 which were the only drafting courses they made engineering students take. I had been off the board for a few years then but said OK and paid my fee. Took both exams the same morning and left thinking I must have blown them because they were too easy. A week later I stopped at the deans office for my grades. He looked over his glasses at me and said "I'm not too happy about this!" I aced both classes and got the highest grade in the advanced 201 class. He was pissed and I was flabbergasted that these kid didn't learn much.

Ron

Reply to
RonB

OK - How Long Ago?

Started slinging lead as a summer job in 1956.

Put myself thru school working in various drafting rooms.

Still have the remains of a callous on my middle finger.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

I graduated BSChE same time frame. Everyone in the College of Engineering was required to take 2 quarters of drafting, even the EE's. I did very few formal drawings in the real world, but I was glad I took the classes. World of help when it came time to update PFD's, P&ID's, run sheets, etc. I even use what I learned for woodworking design sometimes.

Regards, Roy

Reply to
Roy

ing was required to take 2

the real world, but I was

's, P&ID's, run sheets, etc.

There were a lot of things that were required of other engineering students that weren't required of EEs (TAM, Thermo, QM, statics, dynamics). Drafting wasn't required of anyone other than CEs and MEs, AFAIK. There was too much relevant stuff to do to bother with pencil sharpening 101. ;-)

That would be the only reason to have taken it, but wouldn't justify the time taken away from something else.

Reply to
keithw86