DIY tips I have lerned this week

If you spray thistles with roundup using a backpack it kills the grass as well. If you clean grease off a vehicle that's been painted with aerosols using petrol the paint comes off. If you spray something with a Halfords aerosol and then give it an extra coat with a Range aerosol you get a terrible mess.
Bill
On 19/07/2018 21:08, Bill Wright wrote:

I think it's just been one of those weeks, Bill. :(
writes

I think reading glasses and checking the small print might have helped:-) Mind, ISTR roundup was developed to control Couch grass.
--
Tim Lamb

What you need is genetically modified lawns then. Brian
--
----- --
On 20/07/2018 09:05, Tim Lamb wrote:

On the bright side, most lawns look like they have had a good dose of roundup at the moment!
--
Cheers,

John.
On 20/07/2018 09:59, John Rumm wrote:

And the great survivors (weeds)are easier to spot-treat.
In the heat we have been having no cellulose paint seems to stick or dry right, looking like it has little pits all over it. I'm glad to know that other people seem to prove what I found out when I was young. Painting using aerosol cans is at best hit and miss. Brian
--
----- --
On 19/07/2018 21:08, Bill Wright wrote:

:)

It depends on the paint and particular the final coats - when I sprayed the GRP parts of my kit car, the paint needed to be covered with a laquer. The laquer was available in a petrol resistant and a non-petrol resistant version.

You need to check cans carefully when you buy. You can't "mix" cellulose and acrylic - it all bubbles and ripples nastily.
SteveW

I'd say a non petrol resistant paint on any car bodywork would be a bit of a pain to avoid dripping when filling it up? Assuming a petrol car, of course.
--
*I wonder how much deeper the ocean would be without sponges*

On Thu, 19 Jul 2018 21:08:59 +0100, Bill Wright wrote:

It's been claimed that 'You learn from your mistakes.' but it seems to me that such a 'learning technique' is one hell of an approach to learning how to do a task properly (quite aside from the Darwin Award aspect).
You might eventually learn to do all those diy jobs properly but only in the sense that an infinite number of rednecks with an infinite number of shotguns and an infinite number of roadsigns could eventually produce the complete works of Shakespeare in Braille. :-)
--
Johnny B Good

ITYF that's because the surface wasn't prepared properly before the vehicle was sprayed.

a "Range" aerosol!!!!
I thought they were a "home" products retailer. what type of aerosol was this?
Have you also found the one about if you need to spray paint matt black anything outside even on a completely windless day everything within about 50 feet has little black dots on it. I of course never get to try this these days, but used to do it for little electronics project boxes, and I'm still wondering how this goes so far. Of course the person doing the painting is also covered in them too. Brian
--
----- --

On 19/07/2018 21:08, Bill Wright wrote:

Well, what did you expect?.
try it again on a windy day next to mrs bucket's prize dalias and you will learn all about spray drift :-)
On 19/07/2018 21:08, Bill Wright wrote:

If you install a massive group B aerial for Hannington on your gable end, the pigeon shit ends up all over the neighbours garage flat roof.
Andrew wrote:

Have you purchased a deed of right of access for your flying freehold?
On 20/07/2018 20:05, Andy Burns wrote:

Isn't it the pigeons that need that :)
Andy