DIY tips I have lerned this week

If you spray thistles with roundup using a backpack it kills the grass as well. If you clean grease off a vehicle that's been painted with aerosols using petrol the paint comes off. If you spray something with a Halfords aerosol and then give it an extra coat with a Range aerosol you get a terrible mess.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

I think it's just been one of those weeks, Bill. :(

Reply to
GB

It depends on the paint and particular the final coats - when I sprayed the GRP parts of my kit car, the paint needed to be covered with a laquer. The laquer was available in a petrol resistant and a non-petrol resistant version.

You need to check cans carefully when you buy. You can't "mix" cellulose and acrylic - it all bubbles and ripples nastily.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

It's been claimed that 'You learn from your mistakes.' but it seems to me that such a 'learning technique' is one hell of an approach to learning how to do a task properly (quite aside from the Darwin Award aspect).

You might eventually learn to do all those diy jobs properly but only in the sense that an infinite number of rednecks with an infinite number of shotguns and an infinite number of roadsigns could eventually produce the complete works of Shakespeare in Braille. :-)

Reply to
Johnny B Good

I think reading glasses and checking the small print might have helped:-) Mind, ISTR roundup was developed to control Couch grass.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

ITYF that's because the surface wasn't prepared properly before the vehicle was sprayed.

a "Range" aerosol!!!!

I thought they were a "home" products retailer. what type of aerosol was this?

Reply to
tim...

Have you also found the one about if you need to spray paint matt black anything outside even on a completely windless day everything within about

50 feet has little black dots on it. I of course never get to try this these days, but used to do it for little electronics project boxes, and I'm still wondering how this goes so far. Of course the person doing the painting is also covered in them too. Brian
Reply to
Brian Gaff

In the heat we have been having no cellulose paint seems to stick or dry right, looking like it has little pits all over it. I'm glad to know that other people seem to prove what I found out when I was young. Painting using aerosol cans is at best hit and miss. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

What you need is genetically modified lawns then. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

On the bright side, most lawns look like they have had a good dose of roundup at the moment!

Reply to
John Rumm

I'd say a non petrol resistant paint on any car bodywork would be a bit of a pain to avoid dripping when filling it up? Assuming a petrol car, of course.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Well, what did you expect?.

try it again on a windy day next to mrs bucket's prize dalias and you will learn all about spray drift :-)

Reply to
Andrew

And the great survivors (weeds)are easier to spot-treat.

Reply to
Andrew

If you install a massive group B aerial for Hannington on your gable end, the pigeon shit ends up all over the neighbours garage flat roof.

Reply to
Andrew

Have you purchased a deed of right of access for your flying freehold?

Reply to
Andy Burns

Isn't it the pigeons that need that :)

Andy