HVLP: What Tips to Use for Shellac? Karl, Leon?

I got the HVLP sprayer from HF, same one as Rockler. I used it to spray some Zinsser BIN and it came out pretty good. However, I sort of just guessed at what tip to use and I don't know if it was the best choice.
So, to you guys who HVLP a lot... before I google myself to death, what tips are for what? The Rockler manual says .9mm for latex and 1.8mm for oils.
The HF version says it comes with 1.0mm, 1.5 and 1.8, and there are three different tips holes increasing in size. I assume you use the corresponding hole sized tip for different needles.
The BIN instructions only talk about an airless sprayer.
The guy at Zinsser said they recommend .05"-.07" (1.3-1.8mm) for HVLP for all their "paints." He knew I was asking about BIN, so I'm assuming that's also for the BIN. Is that correct. BIN is pretty darn thin.
--

-MIKE-

On 12/19/2012 4:14 PM, -MIKE- wrote:

For spraying shellac I generally use a 2.0mm needle in my Earlex 5000.
I generally spray a 1 1/2# cut (with a 2mm needle), and use either 99% isopropyl alcohol or denatured alcohol, depending upon the temperature/humidity. On hot, high humidity days here on the Gulf Coast I find 99% isopropyl is less prone to blush.
That said, experimenting is the only way to getting the best results with any particular setup.
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
On 12/19/12 5:14 PM, Swingman wrote:

I wonder what cut BIN is. Some of their other products are 3lbs, but I can't find info on BIN. I take it the higher the lbs the thicker it will be?
--

-MIKE-

On 12/19/2012 5:33 PM, -MIKE- wrote:

IIRC, the instructions on the BIN can say Do Not Thin?
You are talking the pigmented product, and not the dewaxed shellac Seal Coat, right?

Yep ...
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
On 12/19/12 6:34 PM, Swingman wrote:

Correct. I was just wondering if I could equate the viscosity of BIN to the shellac you sprayed with the 2mm nozzle.

Thanks.
--

-MIKE-

On 12/19/2012 5:33 PM, -MIKE- wrote:

If you talking the "Seal Coat" it is 2# cut.
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
On 12/19/12 6:41 PM, Swingman wrote:

I had read that. I'm talking about B-I-N pigmented shellac based primer.
--

-MIKE-

On 12/19/2012 4:14 PM, -MIKE- wrote:

I do not use shellac and I don't spray. ;~(
On 12/20/2012 8:34 AM, Leon wrote:

IOW, until Festool comes out with a sprayer, you will continue to just rub ...
<g, d & r>
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
On 12/20/2012 9:35 AM, Swingman wrote:

I like to stroke'it maaan.
Maybe ask Wa'but, ooooh but I think Wa'but is'a to es'pensive.
On another note, I was given a bottle of Willett Wiskey, 119 proof. I am afraid to open it in an enclosed area.
On 12/20/2012 9:46 AM, Leon wrote:

No hay problema ... being as dangerous as that brand of shellac thinner is, I'll be glad to assume that responsibility for you, as well as verify its safety for human consumption.
Sounds like something Radcliffe could use in his BIN. ;)
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
On 12/20/12 9:57 AM, Swingman wrote:

I knew I should've asked this on G+, instead of in here. :-)
--

-MIKE-

ROTFL...
--
www.ewoodshop.com

Leon wrote:

------------------------------------------------------------- Good moonshine is 195 proof.
Only reason it isn't 200 proof is that as soon as it is exposed to air, it sucks water vapor out of the air.
BTW, 195 proof moonshine makes a dyn-O-mite martini.
Lew
On Thursday, December 20, 2012 at 7:35:42 AM UTC-8, Swingman wrote:

On Thu, 16 Mar 2017 19:11:12 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

]Speaking of HVLP, my gun has a quick-disconnect with a 1/2" ID (~.54") and a .7" OD. I can't find these anywhere. I'd like to use a cheap gone but they seem to be standard 1/4". What do most HVLP systems use? Any idea where I can find the above connector and more importantly, some way to convert between them?
On Thursday, March 16, 2017 at 7:26:30 PM UTC-7, snipped-for-privacy@notreal.com wrote:

Obviously, you could unscrew the fitting from the gun and put another in its place. Possibly you'd prefer an oil trap/air dryer with the matching output, fit with hoses that never are used on raw compressed air, for the "better finish experience".
This outfit has a selection
<https://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-quick-disconnect-hose-couplings

That's the point. I want to unscrew the fitting from other guns and fit one like this (this is the one on the system).

I'll look more closely but I didn't see anything when I looked a while back. Who knew that there were so many incompatible connectors?
On 3/18/17 8:54 AM, snipped-for-privacy@notreal.com wrote:

Take a walk down the local big-box plumbing aisle some day 8^)
For these instances I usually use some rubber tubing and hose clamps.....
The trick is to first identify the trade name for the fitting, then do a search. In my experience any non-proprietary type fittings are still available, somewhere.
-BR
snipped-for-privacy@notreal.com wrote in

LOL. I used to work with a couple of guys who absolutely hated the idea of incompatible air tool connectors. Every so often one of them would spend half a day putting new connectors on things, with a lot of fussing and cussing, so they'd all be the same. Of course, he'd miss a few, so a while later the other guy would spend half a day putting the other style on everything, with even more cussing and fussing.
Fun guys to work with, tho.
John